Hey vets! Free classes!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Brcc is offering free welding, pipefitting, Millworks, cert classes to vets. Its on their webpage, along with contact info. It's partially federally funded, and many other community colleges are offering similar courses.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Many years ago when I wanted to go back to school, I spent two years at a local community college before transferring to a university to finish a 4 year degree program. The community college was, hands down, the best educational experience of my life.

Community colleges are looked down on by a lot of people as "lower" than universities. Having spent more than my fair share of time in both, I can say with confidence that the community colleges I went to delivered the goods *far better* than any of the universities. I attribute this to a few factors:

* The faculty at community colleges are not generally engaged in scholarly research, so they're not caught in the "publish or die" rat race that many university professors are. Since the focus at community colleges is on teaching, the faculty aren't distracted by other endeavors.
    * Students at community colleges aren't competing with graduate students for the attention of the faculty. Many undergraduate university students find that they're interacting mostly with graduate student teaching assistants, who may only be a few years older than they are.
    * Community colleges seem to be more results-oriented than universities. Most community colleges talk about employment rates at graduation, average starting salaries of their graduates, etc. There's a shameless understanding that students are generally there to advance their careers, which is both pragmatic and a refreshing break from the lofty academic nonsense that many universities swaddle their students in.
    * Community colleges seem to operate with *much* less bureaucracy than their university counterparts. These are practical people that know how to work on a budget.
    * Community colleges are usually a LOT cheaper, and in many cases you can take the EXACT same course at a community college for a fraction of what it would cost at the local university. Many universities have transfer agreements with community colleges, which can help make a 4 year degree a lot cheaper.

I've been blessed with some wonderful educational experiences, and knowing that BRCC is supporting our veterans in this way makes me want to donate some money to them to support this excellent cause. Heaven knows we need more good tradespeople, and I bet there's a lot of vets that could really benefit from this.

Mike

Top Bottom