Pistol Caliber Rifles? Accurate or are they just for banging out ammo?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have thought about getting a 9mm AR or something.
    Looks like IMI has some
    Thinking {yes i know i should never do that}
    Might be fun to use at indoor range
    I am not the bang out a whole bunch of ammo ghetto style guy
    I do at times bang the Mag out from the Sig 522 fast.
    So figured i would ask here opinions on what others have shot
    Even looked at since was in a case the "New" 45acp Thompson that comes apart
    So does not have to be modern Just Fun and Good no POS
    Looks like IWI

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Kel-Tec Sub-2000 - 9mm, Glock Magazines - Folds up perfectly into a Laptop Computer Bag. PERFECT Truck gun or even "Carry rifle"!
    CZ Scorpion Evo 3 S1 Pistol - 9mm - Brace Folds, small footprint when folded... Silencerco Suppressor with Tri-Lug adapter removes quickly. Entire firearm fits in a small backpack.

The Sig Sauer MPX is a nice option also, especially the new micro barrel version. I would feel comfortable carrying any of these in my vehicle, camping, etc. The down-side to the MCX is the cost.

Overall, I would say the most versatile would be the Sub-2k. The newer generation two with M-LOK slots and the Midwest Industries pivot mount is a great stash away... grab and go rifle.

Another major bonus... you can shoot pistol caliber rifles in most, if not all, indoor ranges.

I will also say... for the cost... the Hi-Point Carbine is a very good pistol caliber rifle. The Kriss Vector is nice, but a little bulky and I'm not a fan of the Beretta CX4. Things like the RONI adaptive Carbine Platform are nice... but they just feel like a bulky pistol.

Oh, and one more... the MECH-TECH upper for the Glock 17 is nice... but H E A V Y. I would say heavier than any of the above rifles. I mean, it's definitely solid!!

FOR THE OP... Every carbine I have tried/used/etc. has performed great. Most fire the round at a higher velocity than the pistol and are extremely accurate and more stable of a platform.

Last edited:

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    I have a Ruger PC9---a Marlin Camp 9 and a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 9mm. Ruger is the 'King of the mountain" in my opinion.
    All three are good choices---but as mentioned above the Kel-Tec is the most versatile. The other two are no longer made
    and rather hard to come by and more expensive. My truck gun is the Kel-Tec---mags interchange with my CC which is a
    Glock 19. Hope this helps---try the one of your choice---their hard not to like!!!

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Since I have 2 Glock 19 pistols and a Kel-Tec sub 2K that takes Glock 19 mags, it is a win-win situation for me. All mags interchange and larger mags such as the 33 rounders and 50rd drums will work on all of them! Cant get no better than that! :rofl:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Don't know the distance, but here's 5 rounds of 9mm through my 4.5 inch sig mpx-k.
    It was all the way at the back at precision in Baton Rouge, and my first time shooting he rifle with a quick sight in on the mro for hitting red and not precision yet. So I'm happy with the purchase.

BC9yCM0.jpg

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I had a marlin camp 9 for several years. That was a fun little gun! And yes, being able to shoot it on an indoor range was great! A keltec set up for s&w mags is on my wish list...

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Just got a CZ Scorpion carbine from a member here and fitting it out for my wife. Haven't shot it yet, but don't have high expectations on accuracy. I doubt she would shoot at anything beyond 25 yards anyway.

JDLEATH

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2017
    Baton Rouge LA
    A buddy has a 9mm AR he put together. Nothing special. It came from a Palmetto State Armory kit, and has a cheap, no name red dot on it. He lent it to me one weekend when I visited my brother, who has a range on his property. At 110 yards, we were able to reliably hit a 10 inch gong. I know that's not any kind of amazing feat, but it's certainly good enough for a truck gun.

I also own a Marlin 1894 in .357. I have a williams peep sight on it, and a 6moa brass bead on the front. It will reliably shoot into the front sight (bullet will impact wherever the front sight covers) at 100 yards.

I guess what I'm saying is that PPC' s are plenty accurate for their intended role, a quick point-shooting weapon at sub 100 yard distances.

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    Defiantly not just banging out ammo. I have an AR9 and like DK.Easterly, I'm dining steel at 100 yards consistently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IGCHRIS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Madisonville
    The JP GMR rifles are stupid accurate. the newest versions have a bolt hold open feature that the guys on the comp circuits have been asking them to incorporate for a long time. They take glock mags which is a plus.

We've also had really good luck with the ADM in the pistol configurations if you are looking for a complete ambi set up. They also have a bolt hold open feature and take glock mags. They are using criterion barrels.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I have a H&K USC with an Eotech on top, its almost too easy to ring steel.
    Several of my shooting buddies wives love it; easy to shoot, low recoil and fairly quiet for non suppressed. Much easier to hit with than a handgun at extended distance.
    Wouldn't question using it in a defensive situation.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Someone say pistol caliber carbines!? I love them. I like my Sub2K, Scorpion, and my MPA930SST SBR. I fancy the idea of "backpack" sized carbines.

aHTsnp8.jpg

7l86hpl.jpg

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I bought a Marlin 1894 357 mag back in 1987. I've used it for plinking, hunting and Cowboy Action shooting. I love the little carbine and still have it.
    I built me an AR9 and love shooting it. I have killed several water bottles at 25 yards with it. The big plus the AR9 has over a 556 AR is that it cost $100 less per 1000 rounds to shoot.
    I have built three more AR9s for friends.
    I'm really thinking about building one in 45 ACP.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom