Looking to buy CCW Insurance

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • extra300

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Metairie
    Just recently received my CCW permit and was looking into an insurance policy. Any recommendations? Looks like the NRA recently started offering there own insurance (NRA Carry Guard). USCCA is the other insurer I hear a lot about. Any others? Anyone have experience with NRA Carry Guard? Just trying to weigh my options on the experience of others and what other choices may be out there. Thanks!

Last edited:

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I jumped into USCCA about 4 years ago. At that time they were the best value of all the carriers but the choice was limited. They also have a robust network of training, keep everyone posted on emergent legislation, and a monthly magazine. Very satisfied.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I guess im kinda by my self on this one.. I don't feel the need for it, especially since LA. passed the law as if its deemed justifiable, NO CIVIL suit can be filed against you. so you wont have to worry about being sued by the family or friends of the victim .. I have had a CHP for 9 years and just renewed my permit again last month, so im not new to it. I try to trust myself in situation where I would need a firearm, I don't consider my self as a vigilante... in other words I keep to my self and don't go looking for a excuse to use my firearm. I guess it has its place but in a world where we are forced to insure ourselves to death and have less than adequate coverage and have to fight ins company's for whats rightfully ours after a claim, I would rather take my chances.. Take the flood for example... people who didn't have ins most of them got money very fast from fema, along with housing ect.. if you had ins it was a slow process, I know people at work still fighting there ins company for money that's owed to them. If your a member of the nra I think you get a $7500 ins plan with member ship, and no 7500 wont go a long way but it will help...

I guess what im saying is if I had to use my firearm it will be without a doubt the last option I have and me and my family will be in fear for our life, and it will be obviously justifiable homicide...

to me all ins is a scheme... they not doing it to help people, they doing it to make money, they have a calculation of how much the make off of each person without ever making a claim. Check any ins work... auto/home/health/orthodonic ect, if you tell them you don't have ins and you are paying out of pocket 99% of the time its 50% cheaper than quoted with ins price. before I pay $50 a month for CHP ins I will just keep It and take my chances. I would have paid almost $5500 by now if I would have it. I guess its a risk I am willing to take..

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    we have very strong "castle law, stand your ground law" in Louisiana.. in the last 15 years I haven't seen anybody who has shot/killed anybody in a home invasion/break in LA. and not been deemed justifiable homicide way before it even thinks about going to court... And if its deemed justifiable like I said earlier its case closed, 0 civil suit against you which is the main reason for ins, in my option

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    USCCA is the better way to go as oppossed to carry guard. And do not rely on the DA or courts to rule your incident as justifiable even though it may totally be. In otherwords CYA!

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    The DA and public defender system has allways done me right,now I had a paid lawyer for a Settltment on a land issue and he flat out screwed my eyes out!!!!

but like I said there will be more than enough proof that it was justifiable.... Just saying

I did hear from several people that the nra supplied ins is less than adequate

Last edited:

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    The DA and public defender system has allways done me right,now I had a paid lawyer for a Settltment on a land issue and he flat out screwed my eyes out!!!!

but like I said there will be more than enough proof that it was justifiable.... Just saying

I did hear from several people that the nra supplied ins is less than adequate

I hear you, dont dispute, and dont disagree with you one bit. I am just saying, why take the chance just in case things go screwy?

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    we have very strong "castle law, stand your ground law" in Louisiana.. in the last 15 years I haven't seen anybody who has shot/killed anybody in a home invasion/break in LA. and not been deemed justifiable homicide way before it even thinks about going to court... And if its deemed justifiable like I said earlier its case closed, 0 civil suit against you which is the main reason for ins, in my option
    Sounds like you are thinking too small in respect to "Louisiana". My permit is recognized in roughly 80% of the country, and it does not take firing a shot to end up in jail for self defense. Idk if you travel. Uscca has a story about a truck driver that ended up in a situation and I don't think he ever drew his gun.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I'm a home body, got pleanty enough property to play on, don't need to leave the state, and luckily my job doesn't require it either!!!

What kind is self defense in a truck? You got a gas peddle right, drive on through... Other states don't have the laws we have for carjackers, The fine state of LA says you can shoot a carjacker if he make attempt to gain access to your car while you are in it, even breaking the plane of the window if down...

And for the uscca having a story, that's just advertisement to buy into them, I can tell you "story's" as to why you should buy another product.... Self promotion lol.... If they offer the koolaid, sombodys gonna drink it

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    I'm a home body, got pleanty enough property to play on, don't need to leave the state, and luckily my job doesn't require it either!!!

What kind is self defense in a truck? You got a gas peddle right, drive on through... Other states don't have the laws we have for carjackers, The fine state of LA says you can shoot a carjacker if he make attempt to gain access to your car while you are in it, even breaking the plane of the window if down...

And for the uscca having a story, that's just advertisement to buy into them, I can tell you "story's" as to why you should buy another product.... Self promotion lol.... If they offer the koolaid, sombodys gonna drink it
    Can't recall the story verbatim, and I don't think his story was one of their ads. I want to say he was on a gun podcast giving an account of his experience. He wasn't being car jacked either. He was a 18 wheeler driver getting some sleep at a truck stop in the middle of his haul.

Anyways if you don't leave the state or if you do so unarmed then no drive on.....With regards to shooting people breaking your vehicles window plane in Louisiana... remember Eddie Gasser BTW bet he wishes he had USCCA.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Ronald gasser? Total diff situation, personal confentation that happened way before that situation... And a hit and run with chasing sombody down ... They were both in the wrong on all situations lol, I still find it hard that uscca will dish out big $$$ up front when you don't have a case/...

Heck 99% of all ins company's won't give you money to fix your house that you owe money on, let along getting CASH, to defend a person, in other words you can get a huge loan with collateral(house,auto,ect) go try to get a cash loan with nothing as collateral, you gotta have more money in the bank then the loan you want to get...

And another, my father in law passed away over 2 months ago, and he had life ins for about $10k for 25 years, and his widow has been fighting with them to get his ins claim even with death certificate and all.... And that's just 10k he has been paying for for 25 years, still haven't seen 1 penny... INS IS WORSE THAN LAWYERS!!!, no offense if any of y'all are lawyers, I'm not talking about "you people" lawyers lol

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Just recently received my CCW permit and was looking into an insurance policy. Any recommendations? Looks like the NRA recently started offering there own insurance (NRA Carry Guard). USCCA is the other insurer I hear a lot about. Any others? Anyone have experience with NRA Carry Guard? Just trying to weigh my options on the experience of others and what other choices may be out there. Thanks!

Better research them, All of them wont pay out unless you hire an lawyer, Somehow they expect you to,Its a racket.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Ronald gasser? Total diff situation, personal confentation that happened way before that situation... And a hit and run with chasing sombody down ... They were both in the wrong on all situations lol, I still find it hard that uscca will dish out big $$$ up front when you don't have a case/...

Heck 99% of all ins company's won't give you money to fix your house that you owe money on, let along getting CASH, to defend a person, in other words you can get a huge loan with collateral(house,auto,ect) go try to get a cash loan with nothing as collateral, you gotta have more money in the bank then the loan you want to get...

And another, my father in law passed away over 2 months ago, and he had life ins for about $10k for 25 years, and his widow has been fighting with them to get his ins claim even with death certificate and all.... And that's just 10k he has been paying for for 25 years, still haven't seen 1 penny... INS IS WORSE THAN LAWYERS!!!, no offense if any of y'all are lawyers, I'm not talking about "you people" lawyers lol

True and Lawyers can kiss it, That's how they make a living!

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I guess im kinda by my self on this one.. I don't feel the need for it, especially since LA. passed the law as if its deemed justifiable, NO CIVIL suit can be filed against you. so you wont have to worry about being sued by the family or friends of the victim .. I have had a CHP for 9 years and just renewed my permit again last month, so im not new to it. I try to trust myself in situation where I would need a firearm, I don't consider my self as a vigilante... in other words I keep to my self and don't go looking for a excuse to use my firearm. I guess it has its place but in a world where we are forced to insure ourselves to death and have less than adequate coverage and have to fight ins company's for whats rightfully ours after a claim, I would rather take my chances.. Take the flood for example... people who didn't have ins most of them got money very fast from fema, along with housing ect.. if you had ins it was a slow process, I know people at work still fighting there ins company for money that's owed to them. If your a member of the nra I think you get a $7500 ins plan with member ship, and no 7500 wont go a long way but it will help...

I guess what im saying is if I had to use my firearm it will be without a doubt the last option I have and me and my family will be in fear for our life, and it will be obviously justifiable homicide...

to me all ins is a scheme... they not doing it to help people, they doing it to make money, they have a calculation of how much the make off of each person without ever making a claim. Check any ins work... auto/home/health/orthodonic ect, if you tell them you don't have ins and you are paying out of pocket 99% of the time its 50% cheaper than quoted with ins price. before I pay $50 a month for CHP ins I will just keep It and take my chances. I would have paid almost $5500 by now if I would have it. I guess its a risk I am willing to take..

LRS. 9:2800.19

§2800.19. Limitation of liability for use of force in defense of certain crimes
    A. A person who uses reasonable and apparently necessary or deadly force or violence for the purpose of preventing a forcible offense against the person or his property in accordance with R.S. 14:19 or 20 is immune from civil action for the use of reasonable and apparently necessary or deadly force or violence.
    B. The court shall award reasonable attorney fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses to the defendant in any civil action if the court finds that the defendant is immune from suit in accordance with Subsection A of this Section.
    Acts 2006, No. 786, §1.

No where in the law does it say that NO CIVIL suit can be filed against you. You're going to pay up front and then collect if sides with you. And hope you can collect from them.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    LRS. 9:2800.19

§2800.19. Limitation of liability for use of force in defense of certain crimes
    A. A person who uses reasonable and apparently necessary or deadly force or violence for the purpose of preventing a forcible offense against the person or his property in accordance with R.S. 14:19 or 20 is immune from civil action for the use of reasonable and apparently necessary or deadly force or violence.
    B. The court shall award reasonable attorney fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses to the defendant in any civil action if the court finds that the defendant is immune from suit in accordance with Subsection A of this Section.
    Acts 2006, No. 786, §1.

No where in the law does it say that NO CIVIL suit can be filed against you. You're going to pay up front and then collect if sides with you. And hope you can collect from them.

Chicken and egg. If the criminal case is settled before a civil suit is filed, no lawyer in their right mind would file the civil suit knowing he would lose and his client would have to pay for both sides. If the evidence is pretty clear the defendant was justified, no lawyer in his right mind would file a civil suit before the criminal case is disposed of. And, given the law, I would be surprised if a civil court judge would rush a civil case while the criminal case is pending.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I would be very careful before trusting the NRA insurance. My son's pistol was recently stolen from his locked truck. Don't know how they got in, but there were no signs of forced entry. Slim Jim? The NRA refused to pay the insurance policy, even with the police report, due to no sign of forced entry. No one in my family will be renewing their NRA membership.

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    I can get into most cars or trucks and leave no sign of forced entry. and with the internet the crooks can too.
    And yes I am legal.
    Wingate

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom