AR9 Help!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Let me start by saying I know that PSA is a cheap brand, not here to discuss that!

I have about 500 rounds through my PSA AR9 and have had no problems up until yesterday at the CQB match in Biloxi. I had no issues for the first three stages. On the fourth stage, I fired four of five rounds and then it would not detonate the cartridge. I cycle the rifle manually and the same thing happened again for a few cycles. It would seem to me as though something broke to cause a sudden failure. There was no indication that the firing pin was even reaching the primer. Not even light strikes

I opened the rifle and checked the trigger, that functioned fine. Firing pin did protrude but not by much. I thought that maybe the bolt was not going into battery so I lubed the cr_p out of it and tried again. Same result. I removed the firing pin and it did not seem like it was damaged. Will check tonight under a magnifying glass.

Does anyone out there have experience with this? Don't mind replacing parts but I just don't want to throw unnecessary parts at it.

Thanks

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Might be carbon buildup in the firing pin channel plus a firing pin that is too short. I know the blowback 9mm guns are really dirty so any noticeable buildup would give you problems. Do you have any spent cases? How do the primer strikes look?

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Unfortunately no spent casing due to the number of casings on the range and the fact that if happened suddenly. The casings after the malfunction had absolutely no mark on them.

Not shooting suppressed. At that point I had fired less than 90 rounds although I have never removed the firing pin before so I guess there could be buildup from before. The actual firing pin is clean but I will check the firing pin channel. Thanks

Last edited:

Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Thanks for the help guys. It turns there was about a half inch of a casing broken off in the chamber. Not sure how it happened but that's what the problem was.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I will try to find my thread from earlier this year, but I had a couple of case fractures and a resulting squib with a PSA 9. Its bound to occur the way those things are designed. The chamber is shallow and about 1/4" of the back of the round sticks out, relying on the bolt to complete the "chamber" and keep the case enclosed. So what happens when the bolt is not completely slammed shut and a round is touched off it vents backward out of the case. I sent them the complete upper with bolt and charging handle and they sent me a new one that won't feed worth a crap. No feed ramp whatsoever. I've lost faith in the design

Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom