Got our first Gen5 Glocks ** PICS ADDED **

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott5.0

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Loranger, LA
    I brought home one of the 17's from JGO this afternoon. I really love the new slide finish Glock is using on these guns. It has a dark finish like on the older Glocks. The new frame is great, but coming from Gen2 guns, the transition was seamless. I can't wait to get it to the range and shoot it.

Here's the Gen 5 with my Austrian proof marked Gen2 G17.

55jn29.jpg

Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I brought home one of the 17's from JGO this afternoon. I really love the new slide finish Glock is using on these guns. It has a dark finish like on the older Glocks. The new frame is great, but coming from Gen2 guns, the transition was seamless. I can't wait to get it to the range and shoot it.

Here's the Gen 5 with my Austrian proof marked Gen2 G17.

55jn29.jpg

We've had some people report that the mag well opening is a little sharp and agitates their pinky finger when shooting... let us know what you think. On a 17 it may not be that pad given the longer handgrip... but the 19 may need to be filed or smoothed.

Scott5.0

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Loranger, LA
    We've had some people report that the mag well opening is a little sharp and agitates their pinky finger when shooting... let us know what you think. On a 17 it may not be that pad given the longer handgrip... but the 19 may need to be filed or smoothed.

I took a look on mine to see what you were asking about, and here is what I have found. I have included a pic to show what I am talking about.

The semi-circle cutout in the frame that is circled in the pic does have a bit of an edge on it. Now, I have huge hands and my pinky does not touch that cutout on my 17, but I can definitely see it being a problem on the shorter frame of a 19.

The one thing I did find is the corner of the cutout, that I am pointing at with the arrow in the pic, that spot is quite sharp and could definitely cause abrasion issues on the 19. If someone is having abrasion issues with their 19, I'd start sanding/smoothing the frame out right there. The good thing is that it looks like its a very simple fix. It probably would not take a much sanding/smoothing at all to eliminate the issue.

Here is the pic. I left it big so you can open the pic up in a new tab, blow it up and see the edges on the cutout.
    View attachment 73165

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    Am I the only person who doesn't like the new changes? Finger grooves and internal coatings, ok fine. But the other changes seem like they were half-thought out before the G5 was released.

Examples:
    Sharp mag removal cutout
    Frame bevel doesn't match
    Thinner sights (what for?)
    Slide bevel (what for? Reinserting into holster?)
    New finish (why?)

All these changes feel gimmicky to me. I love my Glcoks, but I'm a but perplexed by this generation.

Joe

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom