AR Build with CMMG 22LR conversion - Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As JD suggested you could fill the gas port itself with lead, and yes, that can happen even if the gas block is backward. Maybe that could be pushed out when you remove the gas block? or it might ruin your barrel, who knows? All we can do is guess, since it's quite likely no one has done that before.
    I don't know what you are looking to hear. Multiple well informed people have given you pretty good suggestions, based on their own experience. A couple said just run it as-is, it's fine, and the rest said they didn't enjoy their experience with that product at all. One gent even suggested a barrel that gives you great function with both 22lr and 5.56. I mean c'mon if you want minimal changes to convert the rifle, that's it! But you don't want to hear it... It sounds like all you want to hear is "yes, taht's the best idea evar. You are very clever man to figure out". You're obviously gonna do what you're gonna do. So just do it. Let us know how it goes.
    Also, if what you want is proper function, be advised that the CMMG kit alone does not do this. The bolt won't lock/release like normal. Certain CMMG mags have an extension to jam the bolt open on the follower, but the bolt closes when you take out the mag.
    I highly recommend the boonie packer 'Better-Mag' adapter. It uses M&P 15-22 mags, and restores the bolt lock function. The bolt locks back on empty mag, so you can change mag and drop the bolt with the bolt release. Function is flawless (though I use a dedicated barrel). You can teach her how to clear malfunctions (a good idea). The mags are also easier to load.

Even if this idea is not common, I doubt I'm the first person to have thought of it. That's why I posed the question. I was hoping to get input from people who may have tried it or may have thought of a reason why it might not work or might be a bad idea. This is where you seem to have gotten mixed up. Idea 2 may be a better idea than Idea 1 but that doesn't make Idea 1 a bad idea. That just makes it not the best idea. Just because a dedicated barrel may be a better idea than covering the gas port on the 556 barrel does not mean covering the gas port is a bad idea. I dismissed the idea of a dedicated barrel in the initial post, yet a number of people still felt the need to post that suggestion without regard to the question actually being asked. I even explicitly stated "Even with the suggestions, I was not going with a dedicated upper" and people still decided to reply with off topic posts. I have a dedicated 22lr pistol so I am familiar with them.

And I'm not looking for "proper function." (Did you even read the thread before chiming in?) As I stated, "The 22lr is for familiarization." The goal is for her to get comfortable laying behind the rifle and pulling the trigger. After step 1 has been achieved, we can start on other skills. But I suspect you mentioned "proper function" as an excuse to segue into another unsolicited and off-topic suggestion.

As far as what I'm looking to hear, that was the last line of the initial post. I'll quote it below for you as well.

Can anyone think of any legitimate reason this would not work or would be a bad idea?

Last edited:

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    Even if this idea is not common, I doubt I'm the first person to have thought of it. That's why I posed the question. I was hoping to get input from people who may have tried it or may have thought of a reason why it might not work or might be a bad idea. This is where you seem to have gotten mixed up. Idea 2 may be a better idea than Idea 1 but that doesn't make Idea 1 a bad idea. That just makes it not the best idea. Just because a dedicated barrel may be a better idea than covering the gas port on the 556 barrel does not mean covering the gas port is a bad idea. I dismissed the idea of a dedicated barrel in the initial post, yet a number of people still felt the need to post that suggestion without regard to the question actually being asked. I even explicitly stated "Even with the suggestions, I was not going with a dedicated upper" and people still decided to reply with off topic posts. I have a dedicated 22lr pistol so I am familiar with them.

And I'm not looking for "proper function." (Did you even read the thread before chiming in?) As I stated, "The 22lr is for familiarization." The goal is for her to get comfortable laying behind the rifle and pulling the trigger. After step 1 has been achieved, we can start on other skills. But I suspect you mentioned "proper function" as an excuse to segue into another unsolicited and off-topic suggestion.

As far as what I'm looking to hear, that was the last line of the initial post. I'll quote it below for you as well.

An excuse? Yup I spend my whole day trying to figure out how to de-rail your threads. :rolleyes:
    It is reasonable to assume that you'd want to 'familiarize' her with all the functions of the AR-15, not jut the trigger. You probably have a 22lr or BB gun that has a trigger. Sheesh.

Again, one reason it is a bad idea is that you can plug up your gas port. Another reason is that based on our collective experience, there's a good chance you're not gonna be happy with the end product. Another reason is that it's unnecessary. Is that on-topic enough? Do the thing. You are very smart. Smartest ever. This is a very good idea.

Good grief man, we're just trying to help you out (or someone out there who might have a similar question).

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    An excuse? Yup I spend my whole day trying to figure out how to de-rail your threads. :rolleyes:
    It is reasonable to assume that you'd want to 'familiarize' her with all the functions of the AR-15, not jut the trigger. You probably have a 22lr or BB gun that has a trigger. Sheesh.

Again, one reason it is a bad idea is that you can plug up your gas port. Another reason is that based on our collective experience, there's a good chance you're not gonna be happy with the end product. Another reason is that it's unnecessary. Is that on-topic enough? Do the thing. You are very smart. Smartest ever. This is a very good idea.

Good grief man, we're just trying to help you out (or someone out there who might have a similar question).

I never stated you spent your whole day doing anything. But it appears you came across the thread and felt the need to post your unsolicited suggestion so you invented a reason to try to make it seem on-topic. Yes, I want to familiarize her with the functions of the rifle. That will be done in stages. It would be reasonable to assume that someone should be comfortable with the trigger before they practice weapon malfunctions in a live fire shoot house. Learning is done in stages. You should not teach someone everything in one sitting. As I know the student much better than you, is it possible that I may be more familiar with what is needed than you are? Must every facet of every decision be fully explained so you may help formulate a teaching plan you will take no part in?

Yes, lead can plug up the gas port. That may or may not happen and may or may not be able to be taken care of down the line. That negative has been heard and processed. Happiness is subjective and does not answer the question, still making it off-topic. It being unnecessary does not answer the question, making it also off-topic. So, in essence, you've spent a little bit of time voicing your opinion and adding nothing topical.

If you were trying to help, answer the question. You seem upset your off-topic suggestions have not caused me to abandon my original question.

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    Let her build it so she look at it and know what every part does and why and when she wants to go to 223/556 she will learn what and why even if you have to get a new barrel.
    I think you are the right track.
    My2
    Wingate

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Let her build it so she look at it and know what every part does and why and when she wants to go to 223/556 she will learn what and why even if you have to get a new barrel.
    I think you are the right track.
    My2
    Wingate

Coincidentally, we built it yesterday. She was excited to have a rifle she could call her own. And rather than install the gas block backwards, I installed it at a 90 degree angle. That way I can loosen it and slide it down to install the gas tube without having to pull off the muzzle device.

Disclaimer: The 11 year old does not own the rifle. The rifle belongs to me. I will only allow her to shoot it with adult supervision and I will try my best to accommodate her suggestions regarding the rifle, even if those suggestions include unusual colors.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    I never stated you spent your whole day doing anything. But it appears you came across the thread and felt the need to post your unsolicited suggestion so you invented a reason to try to make it seem on-topic. Yes, I want to familiarize her with the functions of the rifle. That will be done in stages. It would be reasonable to assume that someone should be comfortable with the trigger before they practice weapon malfunctions in a live fire shoot house. Learning is done in stages. You should not teach someone everything in one sitting. As I know the student much better than you, is it possible that I may be more familiar with what is needed than you are? Must every facet of every decision be fully explained so you may help formulate a teaching plan you will take no part in?

Yes, lead can plug up the gas port. That may or may not happen and may or may not be able to be taken care of down the line. That negative has been heard and processed. Happiness is subjective and does not answer the question, still making it off-topic. It being unnecessary does not answer the question, making it also off-topic. So, in essence, you've spent a little bit of time voicing your opinion and adding nothing topical.

If you were trying to help, answer the question. You seem upset your off-topic suggestions have not caused me to abandon my original question.

I'm not upset. Just confused about why you continue to berate people who are just trying to be helpful. U mad, bro?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm not upset. Just confused about why you continue to berate people who are just trying to be helpful. U mad, bro?

They are not trying to be helpful. They are making the same suggestions over and over without regard to the question being asked. If you went to the doctor because you were coughing up blood and the doctor went on and on about how to treat an ingrown toenail under the guise of improving your overall well being, would you thank him for helping you or would you try to get him back on track for the issue for which you came to him? If you tried to get him back on track over and over again, how long before you dispense with the niceties and just got to the point? No, I'm not mad. I'm disappointed that some many people believe they know so much that they seem eager and willing to pretend to understand an unknown situation and provide the best answer to a question that wasn't asked while ignoring the question that was.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Wow, this thread went south...

As a follow up to the gas port leading issue I encountered on my buddy's ar:

We used a sharp pick to remove the buildup in the gas block and in the gas port on the barrel. It took a few minutes, and i do not think it damaged either part. Since it was a pin on gas block it was a pain to remove, but while we had it off it was trimmed to allow for a free float rail.

Since you are using a set screw or clamp on gas block you should not have much issue cleaning the port if you get some lead in there.

I use the Black Dog Machine mags in my dedicated 22lr ar, and they seem to work very well and were economical to purchase so I have quite a few. I do like that adapter that was mentioned to allow the use of the BHO, but I have not priced the S&W 15-22 mags...

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    It looked like about $40 for the adaptor and about $15 per 15-22 mag.

Not too bad. If I was starting from scratch then it may be a better potion than the bdm mags, although I think I paid about 10 bucks per mag. Not sure if having LRBHO is really worth another 5 bucks a mag... I never planned to use my ar22 for training, in fact I am not really sure why I built it. 22lr is really not a high use caliber for me...

Top Bottom