Anyone here have a Safe Deposit Box ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    What is the ballpark cost of having one ? I realize they vary by size . What about the legality of keeping cash in one ? I'm reading all sorts of stories about this .

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    A medium size box is approximately $20 a year. I would ask an Attorney any legal question.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have one, comes free with my chase bank account. It's probably only 5 inches wide but probably 20 inches deep.

As far as keeping cash in there, my bank sent a letter out saying we aren't supposed to keep cash or guns in the box, but they do not and cannot ask what you have in there.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    I paid about $30/yr for a small (5" x 20" ?) box at Capital One. Don't think I've ever heard of the prohibition on cash or guns (wonder how many violate that!) -- but that's not a problem for me since the August 2016 flood. My local branch flooded about 4'. Safe deposit boxes are not waterproof, but fortunately mine was in the row just above the high-water line. Bank called me to just come by and pick up my box and contents; they no longer offer that service.

Last edited:

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    And I don't think your contents are insured from natural disasters. One might have their homeowners/insurer cover the contents.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Banks don't insure them. You're on your own.
    For jewelry riders there's usually a large discount on the premium if you tell your insurance company you're keeping the items in a safety deposit box.
    BTW, most homeowners policies have low limits for guns and jewelry for theft. $2500 is the most common I've seen. (check w/ your agent...).

One other word of advice from Katrina. Double zip lock everything in there. Having a flooded nice watch or gun would not be good... and flood doesn't cover your stuff away from home.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Its legal to keep cash in one but they don't accept any responsibility for it. Price varies by bank and size. I'd say $40 to $50 per year for a small box off the top of my head.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    You may want to look into it, but I'm positive I don't pay for my box, so you may qualify for a free box also. Plus my location, the safety deposit boxes are on the 2nd floor, so I keep important documents in there. Figured they have a sprinkler system in place for fires and are elevated as to not worry about floods.

icetraxx

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Denham Springs
    We found out the hard way that they are not water proof at a bank in Denham Spring during the flood, I would check the flooding history of the area if the box in on the first floor. If put all items in a water proof container. I would say double ziplock as well, because I have seen a ziplock get a little water in it when submerged for period of time.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I worked for a bank for the past five years up until January of this year and I have some advice:

Keeping cash in a box at a bank is a VERY bad idea. Like VERY, VERY bad. Money up to $250k is insured by the FDIC if the bank goes under if it is kept in the checking account at your bank. Cash in a box at the bank is NOT insured. If something happens where the bank needs to be closed, you cannot access anything stored in the box in the bank. If the bank floods, catches fire, or gets hit by a giant meteorite, your cash is gone and you will never get it back. Obviously the last example is farfetched, but the point is that if the bank cannot be opened, you cannot access your cash.

Next up, banks pay you to keep money with them. I understand keeping a few thousand in cash in hand at your house or somewhere secure, but I would recommend keeping it somewhere that you can relatively control the access to it. But why not keep it at a bank or institution where you are literally getting paid to keep the money there?

If you are worried about someone (wife, gf, etc) knowing where your money is kept, open up an account with Ally or an e-bank and put it there. They pay insane interest rates to you, with no risk of loss...and you can access it at any ATM across the country or via cash advance at a bank.

But I urge everyone here not to keep cash or important things you may want to access in a box at a bank. Whenever you die, it also is a pain in the ass for your heirs to access the box and what not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom