Muzzle Brake/Baffle/End Cap Strike

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clo5

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 17, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Shooting Freedom Munitions .223 last week and noticed this when I got back from the range. Looks like an unstable round struck the muzzle brake, baffles, and end cap. Shot almost 2,000 rounds previously without issue but won't be going back to that stuff.

Alignement was confirmed to be good to go by Jim's afterwards.

Sent into Surefire but this was a part of their email, "If there is a baffle strike not due to workmanship, defect, or materials there may be core rebuild charge of $650." Hope they just take care of it...

Attachments

• IMG_1479.jpg
      IMG_1479.jpg
      222.9 KB · Views: 170
    • FullSizeRender.jpg
      FullSizeRender.jpg
      212.4 KB · Views: 187
    • IMG_1480.jpg
      IMG_1480.jpg
      220.9 KB · Views: 174
    Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Yea if they make you pay for it I would keep blasting it!!!! Haven't had to use it but that's one good thing I've heard about silencerco warrenty!!! They say they will fix stupid at least once, not sayin this was stupid, obviously not your fault... But they will fix it for free

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Make your next can a Silencerco. Ive sent back my 9mm endcap 3 times from getting it nicked. They fixed me up no questions asked.

I know Surefire makes good stuff but they sure are proud of their products...Good luck with it!

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    that looks like more than destabilization. It also looks like 2 seperate incidents.

If it was a single, destabilized round, it would have been quite the physics anomaly for the projectile to have tumbled end over end enough to smack both sides of that end cap. The projectile would have had to not graze, but smack a baffle pretty hard.

How many of the baffles show damage?

surefire is a brand of can that i do not own. All I can say is that SiCo has taken really good care of me when Ive damaged their cans.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    That's why I went with silencerco, mainly because these are "life time" purchase and I went with the One that that had great spec.... And the best warrenty of all

clo5

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 17, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    If they charge me I will probably just keep shooting. It probably clipped 4-5 baffles. . Will definitely go with SilencerCo next. Of course I listened to their podcast about customer service and no questions asked warranty right after this happened..haha

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Something is up with that ammo. Had a few kisses on some endcaps but never on the brake. Freedom has been well known to have issues.

Armbruster Armory

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Lafayette
    Rugged Suppressor warranty: "Unconditional Lifetime Warranty. With Rugged Suppressors’s strict quality control measures and use of premium materials, we can offer an Unconditional Lifetime Warranty.

If for any reason you have an issue with a Rugged Suppressors product, we will repair or replace it free of charge. Period. Even if you drop it from a mountain. That’s why it’s called an Unconditional Lifetime Warranty and that’s why there’s no small legal type needed.

Having a problem with your Rugged Suppressors product? Please fill out the RMA Request Form, and we’ll get you back to shooting as quickly as possible."

clo5

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 17, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    SF finally got back to me and determined it was bad ammo, knocked the core rebuild charge down to $400, and will be installing a new brake.

Freedom Munitions will be getting a phone call tomorrow...

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Keep us posted !!!!
    Good luck with freedom, heard they were a good company
    SF finally got back to me and determined it was bad ammo, knocked the core rebuild charge down to $400, and will be installing a new brake.

Freedom Munitions will be getting a phone call tomorrow...

avex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2017
    houston, TX
    Found this post and wanted to reply, I talked to you on IG a week or so ago about getting a baffle strike as well on my surefire can using freedom munitions .223 on my mk18. I sent an email to SF to take a look at it and based on your experience it looks like i'll probably have to foot the bill if i want it worked on. Were you able to get in touch with freedom munitions?

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Sorry to hear about your issues guys. In the event that Freedom won’t pay for it I can tell you that I would test the can and as long as the end cap strike doesn’t make the groups open up I would just leave the can as is before I would pay $400 for repair. However, I also understand that some people are very picky and would want it repaired. This is one of the many reasons we don’t sell Surefire cans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grimsonday

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2017
    Shreveport, LA
    Surefire can or not, if that was my can and it happen to me, I’d just send it to Rusty over on form1suppressor.boards.net. I’m pretty sure his record fee is less than $400, but you may want to check with him. Sorry that happen to you. That’s terrible!

P.S. if you do, tell him totalityindustries sent you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

clo5

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 17, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I got in touch with Freedom and it seems they are going to cover the repair. Filled out a questionnaire about the incident, provided documentation pertaining to the repair, and got sent a return label to return the remaining Freedom ammo I had. Rep said they will move forward with the claim once the ammo gets there which will be Monday. They will replace the ammo or just refund me.

SF is currently repairing the can and will be installing a new brake free of charge.

Hopefully I will get the can and upper back in a couple weeks and get back to shooting.

Thankful Freedom is standing behind their product.

Grimsonday

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2017
    Shreveport, LA
    Wow that is great customer service on freedoms part! I won’t hesitate to purchase from them in then future. Thanks for sharing your experience

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom