Case stuck in chamber

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    I recently had this problem with my AR in 5.56 and not wanting to use a 3 piece aluminum cleaning rod worried it would flex and damage the rifling. I employed the mortar method which after several attempts worked but I also managed to damage my Luth AR MBA3 stock. Expensive lesson to learn.
    In recent days have seen info on using a wooden dowel and there is a chance of it braking and ending up with a piece stuck in the barrel. So I do not think I want to attempt that method if the need arises again. Also seen/heard references to using a steel rod which has bad potential for the rifling.

Are you prepared for this if it were to happen and what method would you use? My question is not meant to be AR or rifle specific either, pistols included. I did a little looking on Brownells and Midway USA sites but came up empty for a solution. Also went to the Gunshow in Gonzalas and none of the vendors had anything to solve the problem. Same question but in regards to a stuck bullet.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    yep. one piece steel coated rod at home.
    I have a military 3 piece cleaning rod in my range bag if needed. I had it happen once with a surplus AR barrel. The chamber was ROUGH. First time I shot it the brass stuck.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    My brother uses a Delrin rod, but I haven't run across this issue, and keep an aluminum rod in the bag just in case

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Please keep in mind that if the bolt is locked, running a cleaning rod down the barrel and pounding on it will not work. You will destroy the rod and likely damage the barrel, I've seen this happen several times. You have to get the bolt carrier back to rotate the bolt to unlock it. This applies to any locked breach firearms, not just AR's. If the bolt is locked, it's not going to move. A ruptured case extractor will only be useful if the case head has been torn off. If the case is intact it won't work.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I recently had this problem with my AR in 5.56 and not wanting to use a 3 piece aluminum cleaning rod worried it would flex and damage the rifling. I employed the mortar method which after several attempts worked but I also managed to damage my Luth AR MBA3 stock. Expensive lesson to learn.
    In recent days have seen info on using a wooden dowel and there is a chance of it braking and ending up with a piece stuck in the barrel. So I do not think I want to attempt that method if the need arises again. Also seen/heard references to using a steel rod which has bad potential for the rifling.

Are you prepared for this if it were to happen and what method would you use? My question is not meant to be AR or rifle specific either, pistols included. I did a little looking on Brownells and Midway USA sites but came up empty for a solution. Also went to the Gunshow in Gonzalas and none of the vendors had anything to solve the problem. Same question but in regards to a stuck bullet.

OP, is the cartridge case stuck in the chamber or do you have a bullet lodged in the bore? You mention both and they have different cures.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    OP, is the cartridge case stuck in the chamber or do you have a bullet lodged in the bore? You mention both and they have different cures.

I don't think he is in either situation, I believe he asked a "what if this or that" question.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    If he broke the stock trying to mortar it, sounds like a "what is" not a "what if".

OP says he got it unstuck but broke the stock in the process, unless I'm reading something wrong.

Anyway I'm wondering how hard he had to mortar it to break the stock in the first place. I've never had one stick so bad that it took more than a drop from 6 inches or so onto the stock to remove a case.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    OP says he got it unstuck but broke the stock in the process, unless I'm reading something wrong.

Anyway I'm wondering how hard he had to mortar it to break the stock in the first place. I've never had one stick so bad that it took more than a drop from 6 inches or so onto the stock to remove a case.

Personally, I don't beat the stock on anything. Except looters!

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    To answer questions of my post.
    The bolt was in a locked position so mortaring was needed to a point unless there is another way to do it that I am not aware of.
    The amount of force used in the process I do not think was excessive. The stock was brought down from a height of about 8 to 10 inches with what I feel was moderate force. I also put the butplate in the normal position from the offset position I use it in.
    The break occurred in the plastic housing of the stock adjustment knob with the stock at the LOP setting I use on the buffer tube. Maybe if I would have adjusted the stock to the fully collapsed position it would not have happened. But I also would have had to remove the adjustabe cheek riser as it will stop rearward movment of the charging handle. Hindsight and all that.
    I like the idea of the brass rods, but those offered by the brass exchange are for pistol. Would be nice if they had a rifle length as well. I may just try to find some brass round stock and get a friend who has a lathe and CNC machine to work on it for me.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    The bolt was in a locked position so mortaring was needed to a point unless there is another way to do it that I am not aware of.
    The amount of force used in the process I do not think was excessive. The stock was brought down from a height of about 8 to 10 inches with what I feel was moderate force. I also put the butplate in the normal position from the offset position I use it in.
    The break occurred in the plastic housing of the stock adjustment knob with the stock at the LOP setting I use on the buffer tube. Maybe if I would have adjusted the stock to the fully collapsed position it would not have happened. But I also would have had to remove the adjustabe cheek riser as it will stop rearward movment of the charging handle. Hindsight and all that.
    I like the idea of the brass rods, but those offered by the brass exchange are for pistol. Would be nice if they had a rifle length as well. I may just try to find some brass round stock and get a friend who has a lathe and CNC machine to work on it for me.

Sounds like one of those situations where a side charging upper would come in handy. Just slap the charging handle till she pops open.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x

This will solve the problem.
    https://www.ustoolanddesign.com/products/manual-bolt-extraction-device

A rod down the barrel won't work unless the bolt is unlocked.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Is that after you run out of ammo? :rofl:
    Wingate

Nah, sometimes it's more fun to "Rub a butt on him". At a Shreveport gun show about three decades ago some punk grabbed a pistol off a table & tried to run off with it. I guy I worked with saw the punk running his way, picked up an M1 rifle off of a vendors table and stepped back. When said punk went past he got butt stroked and took a nice nap, the imprint of the butt plate just missed his nose. My friend set the M1 back down and told the vendor "Nice rifle." Strange, but nobody saw nuttin!

Top Bottom