PC Operating System

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Thank Y'all for the explanation, but I'm beyond help on this topic. I did click on the link, . . . , it made my head hurt. :eek3:

I do think I grasped the concept, and had no idea that android was linux based. Learnt something new.

Thanks
    :)

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    List me as desparately clinging to win 7!!! It works...

I thought about upgrading to 10 but I'd need a new hard drive to do it right. I really want a SSD... but I wouldn't want to put that in my old computer so I'd have to build a new one... see where this is going? $$$$

obryap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Paulina, LA
    If y'all need a chuckle, before we did a major computer upgrade at the water plant I used to work at, we had a couple of "industrial PC's" that were still running Windows Neanderthal Technology. Or maybe I should say crawling. Also had Windows 2000, XP, and Server 2000. Yeah, it was a headache.

I will be replacing 3 industrial PC's (Allen Bradley) next month that have been running Windows NT since 1998 with no issues.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA

I thought about upgrading to 10 but I'd need a new hard drive to do it right. I really want a SSD... but I wouldn't want to put that in my old computer so I'd have to build a new one... see where this is going? $$$$

Stick with windows 7. 10 has lots of data mining built in (read no privacy) and I don't think would be enough of an upgrade to justify having to learn a new OS. Btw, you might be better off just upgrading some parts in your current machine vs building a new one. More memory and a better processor can work wonders, along with a fresh install. Although win7 is kind of a brick, imo, but it is stable. How old is your computer?

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

pavlovscat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Meraux, LA

I am a clinger as well. I like 7. It works. 10 is too Big Brother. Hubby uses Linux Mint and likes it and wants me to use it, but I have many older games that do not play well with Linux. I've upgraded my box as much as I can. It is modern enough that I'm running a SSD, but only for my OS since it's too small to hold my masses of music, games, pix, etc. I'll run this one until it dies. My previous pc died in 2010 and still had XP. I really hate change.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I am a clinger as well. I like 7. It works. 10 is too Big Brother. Hubby uses Linux Mint and likes it and wants me to use it, but I have many older games that do not play well with Linux. I've upgraded my box as much as I can. It is modern enough that I'm running a SSD, but only for my OS since it's too small to hold my masses of music, games, pix, etc. I'll run this one until it dies. My previous pc died in 2010 and still had XP. I really hate change.

Hang in there with windows 7 as long as you can and dont upgrade any further if you can. True, the bad downfall of Linux is that many games not designed for Linux do not run very well on it even if running them in wine.

Last edited:

pavlovscat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Meraux, LA
    Hang in there with windows 7 as long as you can and dont upgrade any further if you can. True, the bad downfall of Linux is that many games not designed for Linux do not run very well on it even if running them in wine.

That's the plan. I have the Win7 install on dvd. Once this pc dies, I will build my own from the ground up & try using Win7 with the legit key code from this one, if MS passes it. Steam works on Linux which is a plus, so I'm thinking of trying a dual boot set up with Win7 & Linux. Going all Linux is a hard call because I have literally 1000+ games, most of which don't work with Linux, neither Mint nor Wine. Hubby works in IT, so he can fix almost anything I can break. I had a Win98 box for years to play some really old DOS based games. I kind of miss the BSD. LOL

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    That's the plan. I have the Win7 install on dvd. Once this pc dies, I will build my own from the ground up & try using Win7 with the legit key code from this one, if MS passes it. Steam works on Linux which is a plus, so I'm thinking of trying a dual boot set up with Win7 & Linux. Going all Linux is a hard call because I have literally 1000+ games, most of which don't work with Linux, neither Mint nor Wine. Hubby works in IT, so he can fix almost anything I can break. I had a Win98 box for years to play some really old DOS based games. I kind of miss the BSD. LOL

I hear you on that! I loved playing a whole bunch of games that I played way back when on windows 98 and on xp!

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    If you want to play old games then virtualize for it. I have software that only runs on XP so I built a VM for XP and when I get the hankering to play I start the VM and I am in XP.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Windows 10 at home and Windows 7 at work.

I'm just too lazy to make the time to learn something different. Always have been interested in Linux and Raspberry Pi, especially with ham radio applications.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    How's this help? This is the past year of everyone who has visited the forum.

BS.jpg

I edited out the numbers, but apparently we had 66 views from someone on an XBox.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Wow windows phone and Blackberry! that is some old stuff.

Ughhhh found out I am going to have to switch languages to do stuff on Pi and Arduino. Python here I come although I will probably do some C# stuff for some ideas I have to make stuff at work easier.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    How's this help? This is the past year of everyone who has visited the forum.

View attachment 73198

I edited out the numbers, but apparently we had 66 views from someone on an XBox.

Wow, I wonder if those IOS numbers are from all apple devices (including computers, I have no idea what they call their desktop OS).

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Wow, I wonder if those IOS numbers are from all apple devices (including computers, I have no idea what they call their desktop OS).

Their desktop is Macintosh I think. I would think iOS is just iPhone / iPad.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    If that many people are using iOS then this place is getting to hippy for me with all the iPhones being used. It's Android or GTFO. :rofl:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Someone got me a desk top for a buck that was used 2 years and sold off no Os so Linx Mint it was

This Lap top was cheap and had Windows 8 added Firefox as was used to it with my old Linux Based comp.
    And git rid of all the trial based software, installed Open office etc. and have not looked back

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    AT+T took my 2005 Moto Razor flip phone away. And made me get a Samsung S3 smart phone
    So I check the site read stuff and look see. And if need be, i sign on with the lap to to edit stuff
    Never give a smart anything to a dumb person! One day I will figure out how to use it.
    Sent 4 text since December, make calls as it is a phone.
    Did install the Yahoo email app and a calculator I hate phone PPL that drive walk ect with the phone 24/7

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom