PC Operating System

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Just curious as to what operating system most everyone else is using on their pc be it windows, Linux, BSD, or something else. I know that a bunch of you guys and gals use their smart phone or tablet to access this site but, I am talking about those that use a pc.
    Myself I use Manjaro Linux. As a backup to Manjaro, I also have Linux Mint dual booted just in case Manjaro decides to be uncooperative at any time.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I was debating between manjaro and mint and decided on mint for now as I have not used linux in quite some time. It is dual booted with windows 7 for my wife. I have not had much time to play with it yet, I just finished all the little tweaks I have to do (I think) last night so grub has windows booting first. Also waiting on a new wifi card as I can't got the old netgear one I have to work with linux. How do you like manjaro vs mint? I'm using 18.2 KDE on some 10 year old hardware and she flies .

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I use xfce destop on all the Linux distros I use. I just prefer it to the others. Kde is good but I never could take a liking to it. I like Manjaro because it is more challenging to me with tweaking and keeping everything such as printers and other things operating like I want them to due to it being a rolling release and changing at most each and every update. It is fun to work with. Linux Mint in my opinion is more stable and will get things done with reliable performance with little to hardly no tweaking to keep everything working as it should. Almost to the point of being mundane at times. Linux Mint does have more options when it comes to readily installed programs such as games and others that tend to work correctly right out of the box though.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    That's what I found, I was looking for an out-of-the-box working distro that I didn't have to fool with too much. And aside with not having support for the netgear wireless card and for some reason not booting with Ethernet plugged in (still no idea why) it's work 100% so I'm very happy with it.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    My work is a Windows shop so we use WIndows. Currently have anything from XP to Server 2016 running at any given time using VirtualBox.

I am starting to learn programming and am wanting to create some stuff with Arduino boards and Rapsberry PIs so will start using some basic Linux distros probably using Java as I was reading on Windows IoT core and they were having issues with compatibility.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    My work is a Windows shop so we use WIndows. Currently have anything from XP to Server 2016 running at any given time using VirtualBox.

I am starting to learn programming and am wanting to create some stuff with Arduino boards and Rapsberry PIs so will start using some basic Linux distros probably using Java as I was reading on Windows IoT core and they were having issues with compatibility.

Rasberry Pi is fun to play with. Alot of stuff you can do with it. As to virtual box, it is very slow unless you have the pc with enough memory to run it correctly and you also allocate enough memory to the operating system you are trying to run in the virtual system.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Rasberry Pi is fun to play with. Alot of stuff you can do with it. As to virtual box, it is very slow unless you have the pc with enough memory to run it correctly and you also allocate enough memory to the operating system you are trying to run in the virtual system.

Yeha I only have about 16GB of memory right now thinking of hitting up the boss to get 32GB so I can run more concurrent Virtual boxes. I have to sandbox a few computers that use VPNs to connect to the CDC and if the higher ups get their way I will have to get DOD clearance too. I hate doing that as then I get all the **** work for those sites and they want to call me at all hours of the day to work on that crap.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    If y'all need a chuckle, before we did a major computer upgrade at the water plant I used to work at, we had a couple of "industrial PC's" that were still running Windows Neanderthal Technology. Or maybe I should say crawling. Also had Windows 2000, XP, and Server 2000. Yeah, it was a headache.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    HAHAHA I work in Healthcare and hospitals are the worst at upgrading PCs. I think they are just now upgrading to Windows 7. I swear the apps they use are great also. We had a new web viewer that need at least IE9 and most sites complained they couldn't upgrade because half of their apps needed IE7 or 8 to work right. Don't even get me started on screen resolution. They all had like 1024x768 forever as well.

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    I haven't had a Linux box in 15 years and then it was just a secondary computer, but all this talk is making me want to pull that old PC out of the closet and repurpose it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I haven't had a Linux box in 15 years and then it was just a secondary computer, but all this talk is making me want to pull that old PC out of the closet and repurpose it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linux is definitely a pleasure for me to use and "play" with. Wish I would have being using it sooner than I did. Last windows system I have used has been vista. Have not booted up a windows pc in I would guess over 5yrs now. The last pc I bought with a windows system preinstalled in it, I completely wiped the drive of it and installed Manjaro and Linux Mint in a dual boot. The most recent pc I bought had Linux Mint preinstalled and I resized the partitions and installed Manjaro along side of it. Right now that set up is my main go to use pc.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I tried using Google Translate to understand this thread, but apparently y'all are speaking some alien language from another dimension.

Don the Luddite

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    If any of you want a good all-in-one linux distro... Use Ubuntu... it's the closest you will get to Windows. If you want a lightweight version, use Lubuntu.

There are a bunch of small distros that you can put on a bootable flash drive and try them out also. Puppy Linux is very light and will fit on a small USB drive. If you have an old laptop or PC, Lubuntu runs great on the older technology.

Personally I still prefer XP... But Ubuntu with OpenOffice will give Windows (or OSX) a run for it's money (Considering OSX technically is linux)... if you're not very technical and don't troubleshoot a lot of issues, give it a try. Most if not all distros have a "Live CD" you can download also... so you can "TRY" the OS before installing it.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I tried using Google Translate to understand this thread, but apparently y'all are speaking some alien language from another dimension.

Don the Luddite

We're referring to different operating systems for a computer. Windows, MAC OS, etc. Linux is the base system, the names like Mint and Manjaro are what the people or groups of people who redesign the software call them. It's open source, meaning anyone with the know how can take base Linux and design an OS however they want to, unlike Apple and Microsoft who don't let anyone change hardly anything.
    Got an Android phone? Linux based. Google Chrome OS? Linux. That's the reason I like it is it's versatility. You can do just about anything with Linux.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    We're referring to different operating systems for a computer. Windows, MAC OS, etc. Linux is the base system, the names like Mint and Manjaro are what the people or groups of people who redesign the software call them. It's open source, meaning anyone with the know how can take base Linux and design an OS however they want to, unlike Apple and Microsoft who don't let anyone change hardly anything.
    Got an Android phone? Linux based. Google Chrome OS? Linux. That's the reason I like it is it's versatility. You can do just about anything with Linux.

I think you missed the sarcasm in the post... he wasn't being literal.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    If any of you want a good all-in-one linux distro... Use Ubuntu... it's the closest you will get to Windows. If you want a lightweight version, use Lubuntu.

There are a bunch of small distros that you can put on a bootable flash drive and try them out also. Puppy Linux is very light and will fit on a small USB drive. If you have an old laptop or PC, Lubuntu runs great on the older technology.

Personally I still prefer XP... But Ubuntu with OpenOffice will give Windows (or OSX) a run for it's money (Considering OSX technically is linux)... if you're not very technical and don't troubleshoot a lot of issues, give it a try. Most if not all distros have a "Live CD" you can download also... so you can "TRY" the OS before installing it.

Both very good posts that are well said! :D

I started off with Ubuntu, well Xubuntu to be exact. Next was Linux Mint and a whole bunch of other distros afterwards. Basically running them from a live cd and installing them if I decided to try them in an installed environment. Puppy Linux, Tiny Core, PCLinuxOS, Ultimate Linux, Open Suse, Archbang, Fedora, CentOS, Bodhi, and MXLinux with a few others that I have installed and tried over the years at one time or another. Now my main laptop is dual booted with Manjaro and Linux Mint. My backup laptap has Linux Mint, Manjaro, and windows vista multibooted, my netbook has Manjaro and Linux Mint dual booted, and the kid's laptop has Linux Mint, MXLinux, Fedora, and windows 7 multi booted on it.

exemptx2000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Alexandria,La
    Back in the day, before I moved to the black hole of no internet land (Oct of last year) I ran Debian with Gnome 3 desktop on my home machine, and Windows 10 for anything that I use and isnt supported on GNU/Linux. Photoshtop, Illustrator, games, ect.

At work (MSP provider/IT consultant) its mostly all Windows, even on our servers. Although we (there's a few of us Linux guys at the office) who finally managed to talk my business partner into trying out Linux on a few boxes, NAS and DVR boxes.

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    windows 10 exchange 16 trying to get dmds 6.5 to work on exchange 16 now along with windows 10

Top Bottom