Evacuation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slim

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    Metairie
    So kind of curious.

If you have ton evacuate for a major storm, do you take all you ammo? I have always taken my guns and some ammo, but left the bulk of it behind.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    So kind of curious.

If you have ton evacuate for a major storm, do you take all you ammo? I have always taken my guns and some ammo, but left the bulk of it behind.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I have to evacuate, there is no way that I would be able to take all of my ammo with me! So instead, I dont evacuate and just ride out the storm! ;)

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Ammo is expendable, take what you think you need and some extra and screw the rest. While self defense items is a given, one should also think about what papers you should bring for safeguarding. House deed, car titles, banking info, etc. it won't take up much if any space and could save your butt in insurance claims. I heard that on the radio today and thought it was a very good idea.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    My wife and i are having this conversation now. It is impossible to take all guns and ammo. So i will stay and she will head north to my sisters. Im more worried about theft than anything.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    My wife and i are having this conversation now. It is impossible to take all guns and ammo. So i will stay and she will head north to my sisters. Im more worried about theft than anything.

You and me both! A deed to a house or vehicle will not do a lot of good when and if they are destroyed from the storm if the insurance policy you have does not cover such loses. It just means that you now own a pile of junk and if your insurance does not cover natural occurances, you still own a pile of junk with no repayment of the loses one incures. The contents of my home and vehicles are worth more monetarily than the value of my home and vehicles combined! I will stay behind to secure them! Just saying! ;)

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    You and me both! A deed to a house or vehicle will not do a lot of good when and if they are destroyed from the storm if the insurance policy you have does not cover such loses. It just means that you now own a pile of junk and if your insurance does not cover natural occurances, you still own a pile of junk with no repayment of the loses one incures. The contents of my home and vehicles are worth more monetarily than the value of my home and vehicles combined! I will stay behind to secure them! Just saying! ;)

Exactly. It aint much, but its paid for, and its mine.........

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    No way I could take all my guns and ammo unless I rented a uhaul. I'll probably just take my sbr's, suppressors, and a couple pistols. Maybe 1 ammo can of self defense ammo and that's it gun wise. Important documents, external backup hard drives, and my medicine will come along with Me. I used to evacuate to Houston Bc I have three sisters there, but Dallas isn't looking too bad lately.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    No way I could take all my guns and ammo unless I rented a uhaul. I'll probably just take my sbr's, suppressors, and a couple pistols. Maybe 1 ammo can of self defense ammo and that's it gun wise. Important documents, external backup hard drives, and my medicine will come along with Me. I used to evacuate to Houston Bc I have three sisters there, but Dallas isn't looking too bad lately.

I'm curious if the ATF would enforce the form 20 requirement in the event of a natural disaster.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    REAL military cans are the best. You can even bury them for a week or two.

After Hurricane Andrew, I had several GI ammo cans with good seals that were half full of water. All you can do is hope there will be something left when you return.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    hmmm wonder if you could loose your suppressors in a terrible boating accident? lol? like the one we always loose guns in? lol...

I plan on sticking it out, ive got boats, food,generatos,gas,guns, ammo, and I aint gonna let nobody else get it... plus im not gonna be one of the ones stuck on the interstate for 8 hours and ride the storm out in a car on i10, cause with work I aint got enough time to leave early enough. But mark my words, I wont be the one stuck again at the plant locked in for 120 hours straight.. somebody else has to pay up lol

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Here are a few things I saw after Andrew that defy explanation:
    - Two of my audio CD's were broken in half, but the jewel boxes they were in were intact
    - The silverware drawer in the kitchen was still closed, the silverware still in the plastic tray, but half of them were bent
    - One kitchen cabinet with the doors still closed had the entire contents sucked out, the cabinet next to it had the doors ripped off but the contents were intact
    - A tree in front of my apartment had a roofing staple & tin tag driven into it about 10 feet up, the staple was all the way into the tree
    - The sign on the Florida Turnpike that said "Next Exit Homestead AFB" was still there, but the wind blew the letters off the sign
    - I saw one house (there's a photo floating around the Internet somewhere) where the roof was torn off the garage, the car and SUV were picked up out of the garage, the roof was dropped back into the garage upside down, the car and SUV were dropped back into the garage upside down and reversed in position (the car ended up where the SUV had started)

The maximum sustained (not gust) winds recorded at the Air Base was 227 mph at which point the roof of the weather squadron building went AWOL. Quite a few people that have seen my photos have said "That always happens to a mobile home". They are dumbfounded when they realize they are looking at the remains of concrete block houses.

Attachments

• 00100001.JPG
      00100001.JPG
      108.1 KB · Views: 76
    • 00100005.JPG
      00100005.JPG
      66.9 KB · Views: 73
    Top Bottom