Kimber will not group

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    Guys,

I have a Kimber 7M-08 that just will not group...........I tried myself.....ususally I can get a rifle to group decent enough for hunting...........

I have allowed a couple well respected hunters give it a go
    And now a local gunsmith has tried.....

any chance Kimber had issues?

Little rifle is a few years old, sat in the safe for a while, and now trying to get it in the rotation..........

thoughts?
    ideas?

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    What kind of size groups are we talking? Over 1 inch, 2-3 inches, or way more.

I usually find that most of my rifle need about 200 rounds through them before they start shooting well.

Blaize

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 6, 2016
    Saint amant
    Not to insult anyone's intelligence or anything, and it may have been checked allready, but have you checked the torque of the actions screws? I've had this happen and it was a quick fix thankfully. Good luck!

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Could be allot of different things. I've been down this road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    What kinda ammo? I built a 308 out of pof parts, and first time out was getting horrible groups out of ammo from Walmart (zq1). Was ready to let the rifle go, tried again with some decent stuff (silver state armory and federal gold medal match) and it was grouping nice and tight. Never realized how big of a difference ammo can make till I did that. Now in my 308's all I shoot is federal gold medal match, and Speer lawman or American eagle 147 gr out of my pistols

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    There's a good article in the August issue of American Rifleman by Craig Boddington. Some excerpts. Use a laser bore sight before and after a range session. If there is an appreciable difference you have isolated the problem to the scope and/or mount. Switch to a scope of a known quantity. Barrel break-in is a consideration. Check the barrel crown. Anything that could cause an erratic barrel harmonic will affect accuracy. Check the torque on all the screws. Check the barrel free float. Check the action bedding; in the 1990s Winchester switched to a hot glue to bed the forward action lug, the hot glue broke down over time, $10 bedding kit solves the problem. Change the load since some barrels are finicky; change bullet weight and powder measure if you reload. If you try shoot a bullet that is too heavy for the twist of the barrel you get erratic results. It is a process, it takes time, and sometimes it doesn't get solved.

Last edited:

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    Get some Bore Tech solvent and try cleaning the barrel really good. Had a friend with the same problem. Saved the gun dirty for a few years. The bore looked like a old water pipe. Copper, steel, powder residue and Louisiana humidity are not a good combination in a gun barrel.

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    I'm not that far from you. If you want, you can bring it by and we can have a look at it. It would be unlikely to diagnose the problem on a forum. PM me if interested.

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    Yep, something is really bad wrong. The OP said he was getting 6" at 60 yds.
    A bad scope problem or maybe the muzzle got dented in a little. If the bullets are keyholing or coming apart, I would say the crown is bad. The rifle may have been dropped on the barrel end. It's an easy fix, just cut the barrel back 1/2" and recrown.
    It could be the scope or scope rings as well. I've gotten rifles in my shop that had similar problems. One of the scope rings was damaged and the other ring had a screw missing. The scope tube was bent but seemed to hold zero after everything was tightened up

I have a few questions. Do you know for a certainty the rifle grouped years ago? Does it have a barrel bulge or obvious bend? Is it marked 308 on the barrel? 7-08 ammo isn't going to group well

I would have to take a look at it. Something obvious might jump out, you never can tell.

simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    Just a quick update.......Kimber was very helpful. They sent an RMA and picking up the tab to get it there as well.......

I will update when I get word from them on what the issue is

Top Bottom