AR9: To build or to buy complete

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheFraz

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Ever since I have built my first AR I have the itch to build more. I've decided my next project will be a 9mm pistol (SBR down the road).

While I have been researching receivers and bcg's, it seems that certain lowers must be paired with their own uppers (PSA). It also seems that there are limited options for lowers. Then I have come across complete pistols for $500-$600, when it will cost substantially more to piece together.

I prefer to build so if anyone has advice for quality components without costing an arm and a leg, I would appreciate the advice.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Buy yourself a Kel Tec sub 2000 9mm rifle that takes Glock 19 mags and be done with it for under $500. I understand that you are wanting to build but, in my opinion, all you are doing is creating issues and unneccessary expenses that other platforms can and will deliver for a whole lot less money and a whole lot less head aches. Its your choice. Enjoy the pain! :rofl:

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    TBH I always recommend building, especially since you have the tools already I assume. Yes it is more work sourcing parts but the end result will be exactly what you want, not a basic gun that you throw hundreds more into modifying. I've wanted to build a pistol in 9mm for ages it seems but have not had money to do so. Although I'm not a fan of the blowback action (but gives me incentive to develop a DI 9mm )

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Don't be fooled by you have to use our stuff with our stuff. I bought a glock lower from RunnerRunner guns and put in my own lower build kit parts. I then bought a glock pattern upper from PSA and have had no issues with it as of yet.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I have fooled with a few different glock pattern lowers recently.

I traded into a New Frontier Armory (NFA) 9mm lower, takes glock mags. It came with a NFA last round bolt hold open upper. Also had the 2 piece hybrid bolt. The gun did run, but had the wrong length and weight buffer, easy fix, but it is one thing to look out when you are building.

Put the receiver extension/buffer tube on the lower, then put the buffer in, without the recoil spring. Then drop the bolt in, and make sure it makes contact with the buffer before it hits the threaded portion of the lower when the extension screws in. A 9mm buffer will be longer than a std carbine buffer, they make dedicated 9mm buffers that are the correct length, and weight, or you can go with a heavy H2 or H3 std carbine length buffer and a spacer that drops in the extension before the buffer goes in, and takes up the space.

I also picked a side charging last round bolt hold open upper from NFA and found it to be a nice piece of kit.

I also have an 80% lower that I got from Daytona tactical. Compared to the NFA lower it is identical, and I believe the Joe Bob Spartan, and ATI are the exact same thing, just re-badged.

Both the NFA and Daytonal will accept and function with a std ar upper, but the bolt hold open will not function.

Some quad and keymod/mlok rails will need to be clearanced where they meet with the NFA uppers. These uppers are bulkier at the front than a std upper and have different shapes.

Al of the lowers I tried used a std ar15 lpk. Mag catch is glock specific, but that comes with the lower.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    I have a qc10 glock lower. Kaw valley 4.5" barrel, shockwave brace. I both the qc10 when they forst came out years ago, so recently had to call them as they updates their lrbho bar, which they sent to me free of charge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom