Attempted ID Theft - Tracking IP address

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Long story short someone is trying to get an online mortgage in my name. Fortunately they don't seem to have enough of my info to pull it off.

I tracked down the online lead company that the fraudster used and they provided me with the ip address where the form was filled out. I'm not tech or legal savy. How/what can I do with the IP address?

Also, I don't think any accounts have been opened so I don't know if any laws were broken. Should I go to the police?

Thanks!

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Thanks. The IP belongs to Suddenlink Communications in TX. Is there anything I can do with this? I have a hard time beleiving they'll give me any more info.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Hmmmm,,,,, I got a call this morning from a bill collector in the Peoples Republic of California demanding to talk to my Mom (by name). Seems Mom got two house mortgages and bought three new cars over the last six months but hasn't made a single payment yet. I don't know why she hasn't made the payments, she only passed away in 1992!

Now they say that Equifax has been breached, releasing data on 143 MILLION people!

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    if the IP is given to the ISP you may not be able to find out who owns it without the ISP telling you.

You could also call the credit bureaus and put a hold on your credit until further notice.

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    Hmmmm,,,,, I got a call this morning from a bill collector in the Peoples Republic of California demanding to talk to my Mom (by name). Seems Mom got two house mortgages and bought three new cars over the last six months but hasn't made a single payment yet. I don't know why she hasn't made the payments, she only passed away in 1992!

Now they say that Equifax has been breached, releasing data on 143 MILLION people!

DO you have article?.I never heard anything and I watch very very closely to all
    3 agency's for facts.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks. The IP belongs to Suddenlink Communications in TX. Is there anything I can do with this? I have a hard time beleiving they'll give me any more info.

You can file a police report and let them handle it. The ISP won't tell you anything. Realistically, they might not even be able to track down who it belongs to since modern IPs are dynamic and change all the time. If they try hard enough they can, but getting them to try is something else lol.

You should definitely put notes on your SSN with the credit bureaus. Also, call your bank and ask them to put a note on your account to not give information out over the phone regarding your account without a certain passphrase. Mention someone is trying to steal your identity. Lastly, make sure you use two-factor authentication on your email addresses and bank accounts.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    Dont hold your breath on the cops doing anything. Several years ago some crapbag got my debit/credit card number (and I always tried to be careful about that). Used it to pay cellphone while I was out of town for a few months. when I discovered it I went to my bank (Regions) and they would not do anything about it. Gathered up all the info I could, even the phone number to where the police would need to send a warrent to get info/identity of person who used my card number. The Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff's Office detective always gave me some BS story on he was so busy or something. All this guy had to do was show everything I had given him to a judge to get a warrent, then fax that to the number I gave him and go from there. I guess that was to much work.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Someone in TX charged $100 on three separate days to my wife's debit card. Capitol One closed the card and credited our account the next day. Got to say I was surprised they did that and I'm back to liking them.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I had a credit card fraud problem some years ago. The crook created a fake card and used it in a walmart (my wife calling and screaming 'what in the hell did you buy at walmart for $1800?!?' will stick with me for a long time. I actually started mentally tallying up ammo purchases before deciding it was fraud!).
    Anyway JPSO didn't get very far. BUT the US Secret Service jumped all over it since they counterfitted a physical credit card. 2 weeks later we had an arrest (Crooks girlfried worked in a shoneys where we stopped for breakfast once...).

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    I went ahead and notified my bank, added alerts to the credit bureaus and called each and every mortgage company that had emailed and called. Fortunately it seems this clown does not have my SSN, birthdate, etc.

I guess with today's environment we can all expect to get hit at one point or another.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom