AK build?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    So now that I've waited for parts kits to reach an all time high...what better time to decide to build an AK, right? What is the real deal on a screwed together build? I realize it is heresy to some people to even consider it, but I'm not too worried about resale or collectability. I don't have a press, but I have most everything else I think I would need for a screw build. I have a Polish or Bulgarian AK74 kit chambered in 5.56 in mind. That recipe seems to be around the net almost as straight forward as most other builds.

I guess what I'm asking is a screw build worth it as far as safety and durability or should I suck it up and find a way to rivet one together?

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Rivet that thing and have a gun that your grandchildren will pass on. I'm leaving town this week but I'm sure someone will step up. I agree with Shooter, a first ak build of an inexpensive Romanian would probably be a good place to start because it won't be your last.

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    OP:

screw builds are a no go.

building AKs are a commitment and can be frustrating at times I've started to build them this year.

riveting is not very hard, and toth tools makes a jig from 24 inch harbor freight bolt cutters that gives you perfect rivets every time that look factory.

you will need a bit of tools to complete a build.

a drill press or milling machine
    12 or 20 ton shop press

barrel press out or press in jigs
    Rivet jigs toth tools one and a press jig from the rear trunnion long rivet.
    punch sets
    reciever hole drilling jigs
    lots of drill bits/reamers
    Go and no go gauges

if you are making a receiver from a flat you will need a flat bending jig and a spot welder.

your looking at 400-600 dollars in equipment.

here is my AK105 I'm building and up next is my Russian 1969 AKM
    5lsKNWYl.jpg

A50EgRjl.jpg

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    Copy all on the tools. i have everything except a press and the AK specific jigs. I understand the suggestions on the cheap Rommy build, but I can just buy a WASR right? I understand this isn't a game to start to save money. Quite the opposite I'm sure.

So let's assume a kit with a barrel already installed and a receiver pre bent with internals already welded. Where does that leave me as far as tools for a rivet build? HF bolt cutters and roll?

https://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30915

Last edited:

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    The only thing about that kit is it was a 5.45. I don't know if the 5.45 bolt will work with the 5.56 ammo. Another thing is mags, I think tapco makes some, but good mags have been difficult to come by lately, and $30 to $40 each. Like I said start with the basic AKM first, as you become more experienced then move to more advanced stuff. Also get complete receivers, it's easier.

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Copy all on the tools. i have everything except a press and the AK specific jigs. I understand the suggestions on the cheap Rommy build, but I can just buy a WASR right? I understand this isn't a game to start to save money. Quite the opposite I'm sure.

So let's assume a kit with a barrel already installed and a receiver pre bent with internals already welded. Where does that leave me as far as tools for a rivet build? HF bolt cutters and roll?

https://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30915

yes complete receivers are to easy. And if the barrel is already pre populated. You will still have to press the barrel out of the trunnion to rivet the receiver. So you will need a shop press.

childers receivers are IMO the best out there for the money and as authentic as you can get.

whwn you buy a receiver get it without trunnion holes and do the holes yourself with the am builder trunnion hole jig makes for more accurate hole placement for you're specific kit so everything lined up perfectly.

check out Rforbus , Toth tools ( who sells the rivet bolt cutter) , and aK builder for you're tools. These sites also sell specific drill bits you will need.

Barrel pin hole is 7mm , I usually drill smaller first with a 1/4 end mill bit then ream it with a 7mm. You want good quality HSS bits for this.

FSB and gas block holes are 3mm bits, and rear sight block is 4 mm bits.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    Polish tantal ak74 kit with 5.56 barrel inbound. Childers tantal receiver. Bulgarian ((10)) mags to try.

Planning it with rivets, not screws!

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Nice. Just finish up this guy, place holder handguards until my AK9 ones come in from Russia.

RsxzZiGl.jpg

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    So let me give this a swing...short barrel with fake suppressor extension? Plum furniture with cheese grater top handguard? Looks very cool.

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    It's a 4 1/2 inch Bulgarian muzzle booster pined on a 12.5 in original Bulgarian barrel.

Childers receiver, Russian 4.5 mm pin folding stock, Ak105 Russian dust cover, Russian 500meter sight leaf, and yes a cheese grater top hand guard.

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    Looks super cool. What is the deal with that gas block/sight? Do you have another picture of that whole booster? Neat build up.

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    It's a gas block front sight combo, AK104/105 rifles use these instead of traditional FSB and gb.

Once i I have my ATF stamp I'll be switching to a smaller cone booster like the real ak105
    AK105_LeftFront01.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom