What can you tell me about Remington 783?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    What can anyone tell me about the Remington 783? I've evidently been in the dark and had never even heard of it until I saw a 783 in .308 with scope mounted, didn't say what kind of scope, for $310 at the PX, Ft Polk. Seemed like a really attractive price for a base level Remington with scope.

Described as bolt action, synthetic stock, 3-9 scope, 22" barrel, also evidently has molded-in sling mount points.

Last edited:

bonewagon

Carbon Sasquatch
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Jeff Davis Parish
    The one I have has been great. I got it when Walmart had them on sale. Mounted a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 and took 5 rounds to sight in. Have only shot a box of 308, but happy so far. YMMV. Box magazine works well. Budget rifle with a very nice trigger, at least on mine.

Happy shooting.

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    I borrowed one on a hunt after having scope issues on my rifle. It performed flawlessly (granted only 1 shot). I did not have any complaints -- no issues with cycling, no fit issues that I can recall. Recoil on the .30-06 was as expected. I've owned previous "budget" rifles before and liked this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    This is replacing the model 770 that was built very poorly. Many plastic parts that should have been made of metal. Remington should be ashamed to put their name on it. Hopefully they replaced the magazine release with metal and toughened up the rear bolt stop. Many of them had issues with the bolt sticking after a round was fired for some reason I and Remington could never figure out. Academy Sports just had a sale and rebate that put the price at $259 for the 783 that may be still going on. Good Luck.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have some friends who have bought this type of rifle (Ruger American, Savage Axis) and like them very much. As long as a shooter and his rifle can hit a 4-5 inch inch circle at 100-200 yards, and these type of rifles can do this all day long, you would be good to go in Louisiana as far as deer hunting goes. Personally I would buy a used Winchester Model 70, Savage 10,12,16, or older Model 700 by Remington before buying the economy model you mention in your post. I have seen plenty of used rifles on Bayou Shooter that are way better rifles for only 100 bucks more. Then again, if a man only has 300 bucks to spend you can't go wrong with the Ruger or Savage series economy rifle.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    This is how QC works.
    Retool and check calibration. Make a batch of most expensive rifles with the tightest accept/reject criteria.
    Then loosen accept/reject criteria and make a batch of the next price point rifle.
    Loosen except/reject criteria even more and make a batch of an even less expensive rifle.
    Lower accept/reject criteria even more and use cheap parts in placement of good parts and make a batch of the cheapest rifle you make.
    Then retool and calibrate and start all over.

You get what you pay for in a sense. But also the less you spend the greater the chance of buying a lemon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harveyspecter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2015
    US
    What can anyone tell me about the Remington 783? I've evidently been in the dark and had never even heard of it until I saw a 783 in .308 with scope mounted, didn't say what kind of scope, for $310 at the PX, Ft Polk. Seemed like a really attractive price for a base level Remington with scope.

Described as bolt action, synthetic stock, 3-9 scope, 22" barrel, also evidently has molded-in sling mount points.

Let's try Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 Waterproof Riflescope. Great warranty, beautiful groupings at 100 yards on the rifle, smooth finish . it's around $150. affordable price

Top Bottom