Best way to keep home defense firearm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    So I had my first child on Saturday (a healthy boy) and have been looking around at the better ways to keep a self defense handgun. I want it readily and easily accessible but safe and out of reach of children. I've seen options, but want first hand experience from y'all. What do you dad's out there use? I thought I've seen a thread like this before but couldn't find one using search function (it sucks).

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    So I had my first child on Saturday (a healthy boy) and have been looking around at the better ways to keep a self defense handgun. I want it readily and easily accessible but safe and out of reach of children. I've seen options, but want first hand experience from y'all. What do you dad's out there use? I thought I've seen a thread like this before but couldn't find one using search function (it sucks).

Congratulations on the baby boy!

One bit of advice is once the baby gets older never access guns in front of children because they will copy your every move.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have a daughter and for he most part you have about a year or so before you really have to worry about it. But that being said, keep your ccw ON you. You don't have to worry about them finding it. Also i bought two speed safes at Costco when they were on sale.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GunVault...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CInNm8XardYCFQ6-Twod1EkMzQ
    This is the one I bought. Think they were 60 bucks each. Find convenient places to mount them and drop your pistol in.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...MIqOuD4tqt1gIVBAdpCh1bxQFJEAQYASABEgIMePD_BwE

You can put one of these in a closet or behind a large picture. I had one at my old house, served its purpose. Kept important documents in mine though.

There's a YouTube video on how to make your own "tactical walls".

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/sta...se-with-combination-lock#repChildCatid=372266

I have 4 of these. Good to loop around the frame of your car seats and lock up your gun when you go somewhere where guns are not allowed. Also can leave a gun on the counter top at home when you don't want your toddler to get to it but not worried about theft.

My daughter is pushing two now. She doesn't ever grab any of my guns but will ask to see a rifle from time to time. All guns are locked up at all times minus the one on my. Body. My guns are all in my safes though, those lock boxes are secondary places for when I'm just getting home and have not put them in the safe yet

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Congrats on the new young one. Just wait until he's self propelled, then nothing is safe! Here's my advice: Large frame semiautomatic pistol with a loaded magazine in place but nothing in the chamber. If you or your wife needs it just rack the slide. When (not if) your son gets his hands on it he can't pull the slide back. By the time he's strong enough to rack it he should know how & when to use it. I knew how to strip & shoot the Browning P-35 that Dad brought back from Europe about 2 years before I could rack the slide. Having it locked up in a safe is useless at 2AM when Johnny Crackhead kicks in your door.

Armbruster Armory

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Lafayette
    Check out the Gunvault product line - I sell a lot of the MV500 bedside safes at my gun store and believe in them. They come with or without biometrics and if the biometric fails, they have a 3 to 5 finger push combination you can set. After opening and closing it regularly, you can be in the safe in 3 seconds, which should be fast enough when you hear the bump in the night.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    https://smile.amazon.com/Stack-On-I...ie=UTF8&qid=1505709280&sr=8-1&keywords=IWC-11

71cG18z-ZbL._SL1500_.jpg

819v7iiaXbL._SL1500_.jpg

Fits between 2 studs, hang a picture over it (or not....or remove picture when you go to bed at night).

Not a safe and can easily be pried open with tools, but will easily keep little hands off of whatever you store in there UNTIL they are old enough to know they can hold it any time they like, provided they ask you first.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Congrats on the addition to the family.

I use a Fas1Safe, it features a quick manual lock and very solid construction. I have it bolted to my bed frame and am very satisfied with this option.

http://products.fas1safe.com/produc...B523.p3plqscsfapp003?productId=2&categoryId=1

I did have one of those Sportsman's Guide hallow frames for a few years when my children were no way physically able to access it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDill

What's This For Again
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Destrehan, LA
    Vaultek is what i use. If its not on my belt its locked in the vaultek. small enough to place on the night stand and not get in the way and big enough to hold the firearm and extra mag. three different sizes with or biometrics. pretty solid as well. i have even brought it with me on road trips to lock up in vehicle when you can't carry in certain places. https://vaulteksafe.com/index.php/s...MIsbDcnq-v1gIVjFqGCh3m0Qr6EAAYASAAEgIUXvD_BwE

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I have several small safes and lock boxes in strategic locations around the house. It goes without saying that you should keep all guns locked up or on your person.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    I tried a small Barska biometric safe. Playing around with it I discovered it's print recognition was way too finicky. If you didn't place your finger exactly correct it would not unlock. It was worse if I had been working with my hands a lot (woodworking, landscaping, etc) causing my prints to be torn up.

That's not exactly what I would want to rely on in case I needed immediate access.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    When my kids were young I always had a quick access safe. I used a Gun Vault finger pattern safe. Worst thing was when the battery dies and I had to plug it in. I either had the gun in a holster or in that safe. If you get a reasonably sized safe you can move it around to different rooms as needed. My daughter confiscated that safe from me when she moved out and is still using it today. The biometrics are pretty good today. As an aside, I always taught my kids to include their friends about firearms emphasizing if they ever found a gun in the house they were to leave immediately. I also spoke to their parents asking them to do the same. I never had a problem.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I got a HD100 QuickVault free with my big Liberty Safe, even though I don't have kids I tossed my bedside gun in it. Pretty easy finger pattern combination and it fits a full size 1911 with light and an extra mag. It comes with a steel cable to secure it around something heavy, I used my bed frame. Pretty sure you can also bolt it down.

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Congratulations on the new month to feed.
    Back in the day people had gun without the fancy lock boxes and kids were not shooting their selves. But that was before guns became evil. Now if you don't keep your guns locked up, you are a bad parent.
    Like stated before, you have a little time before your new little bag of fun is off exploring the deep dark corners of your living quarters.
    I've got three of my own, two full grown and one that's 13. I kept the guns out of their reach or ammo locked away and somehow they survived. When they were at the age that curiosity started to get the better of them, guns were not totally off limits. Just keep in mind that Curiosity killed the cat and the kid too. They were allowed to look at guns and even hold them, but they were also thought that to look at them all they had to do was ask.
    As they grow teach gun safety, just the same as you teach them not to cook their body parts on the stove, or play with electronics in the tube.
    Enjoy the time while he's little because before you know it he will be asking for the car keys or shooting up your ammo stash.

Last edited:

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    LOCK LOCK LOCK it up. Gun vault and similar products are great there are simplex mechanical locks (fort knox makes one of these) if you worry about batteries and spare keys.

I once had a friend explain how his guns where so high his children wouldn't possibly be able to find them, literally in the background I watched his youngest push a chair to the kitchen table and use it to climb on top of the table to play with the light fixture above the table.

Tactical walls and "hiding" are asking for a curious kid to find them. Imagine yourself as a kid finding or figuring out how to open a secret chamber, if it's me I'm definitely playing with what is inside.

Top Bottom