Marksman

User Info Menu

What a beauty.
    SASS #84934

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Diamond View Post
    Would it shoot the 38/55?

No. It will not. It shoots 38-40 which is a pistol caliber. The 38-55 is a rifle caliber.
    SASS #84934

sportsman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whbonney26 View Post
    No. It will not. It shoots 38-40 which is a pistol caliber. The 38-55 is a rifle caliber.
    Well it is a rifle.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Diamond View Post
    Well it is a rifle.
    But the 1873s shoots pistol calibers of the time. Not rifle calibers that were not invented yet.
    Last edited by whbonney26; May 14th, 2018 at 10:59 AM.
    SASS #84934

Teufel Hunden

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Bump
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

All or nothing

User Info Menu

Yup, that’s a 38-40 Winchester Center Fire. Real sweet specimen too. I’ve got a mind to beat you all out of it and park it next to my 32-40, but mine is just a ‘94 commemorative. Good luck with the sale/trade. Should be a lot of interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Magdump; July 30th, 2018 at 01:52 AM.
    Contrary to popular belief, a head shot is not necessarily a guaranteed kill shot....but it sure does take the fight out of 'em.

and if one in every 100,000,000 M&M's contained enough cyanide to kill a person, the Mars candy company would be forced by public outcry to correct it———
    Bangswitch

Clandestine Sciuridae

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    Mine is a 38-40, Shoots 40 cal. projectiles I think, Have never reloaded a round for it.
    Truth. Not sure why the letter says .38 but my Ruger SBH Buckeye has a 10mm (which is .40 cal) cylinder and a 38-40 cylinder. Also a mystery why its not called 40-40 while the 44-40 is in fact .44 cal. I wish I could go back and ask Lucas McCain. lol
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe

Quote Originally Posted by Ritten View Post
    Buy them all!! If you don't like it, sell it. They ain't shoes you know...

All or nothing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charliepapa View Post
    Also a mystery why its not called 40-40 I wish I could go back and ask Lucas McCain. lol
    Cuz....30-30, twenty twenty and Fifty fifty! Lol

A few of the old calibers that were around at the advent of smokeless powder had a number designation for the
    Caliber-grains of Black powder. Like 45-70government which was 45 cal bullet and 70gr black powder charge (for the mild load!) and some cartridge names made less sense, mostly the American ones.
    Contrary to popular belief, a head shot is not necessarily a guaranteed kill shot....but it sure does take the fight out of 'em.

and if one in every 100,000,000 M&M's contained enough cyanide to kill a person, the Mars candy company would be forced by public outcry to correct it———
    Bangswitch

Marksman

User Info Menu

These old rifles were chambered in .32-20, .38-40, or .44-40.
    The .38 caliber stamp on the rifle means that it is chambered in .38 - 40 caliber.
    Back in those days .38 - 40 was .38 caliber to everyone.

Teufel Hunden

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Bump
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" ~ Benjamin Franklin