Open Carry Oversensitivity

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Another advantage is you avoid the bureaucratic hassle and cost of obtaining and renewing the CC permit and subsequent required notifications. That's why I gave mine up.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Another advantage is you avoid the bureaucratic hassle and cost of obtaining and renewing the CC permit and subsequent required notifications. That's why I gave mine up.

The 1st time was kind of a PITA but Renewals are very simple. Now with the online system the Renewal is super easy.

However I'm thinking about giving up driving to avoid the DMV!

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I can see the pros and cons of both sides of open vs concealed. My personal fear of open carry is some thugs see my gun and approach from the rear, dump a few rounds in me from the back, then strip me of my life, gun, and anything else they want. Even worse if my family is with me. I choose to CC.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Dude , I ain't buying it . But whatever .

I'm not quite sure what you're not buying as you are being a little vague. I'm going to guess it's the issue of evidence so I'll address that point and see if that's it. I'm going to make up a scenario to better help you understand.

Let's say you stopped at an ATM and withdrew $200. You're now walking down the street with the cash in your hand and you see someone you know, perhaps someone down on their luck that you recognize from when you donated your time at the local soup kitchen. He stops you and tells you hello. Upon seeing the cash in your hand, he grabs it and runs away. You have a withdrawal receipt that shows you possessed the money at that point in time but is not evidence as to what happened to it. The only evidence is your sworn statement that the incident took place. If you call the police to report the simple robbery, should the police entertain your complaint?

If you say no, you should realize the lack of evidence other than your statement is not evidence the incident did not take place. If the police do not investigate your complaint, they could be fired or even arrested for malfeasance in office for intentionally refusing or failing to perform any duty lawfully required of him.

If you say yes, how far should the investigation go? In this case, you have enough information to lead the police to an actual person. Let's say the police talk to the guy and he says you gave him the money out of the kindness of your heart. He has not acknowledged the money changed hands but there is a dispute as to the circumstances behind the transfer. What should the police do at that point? The answer is they should allow the courts to determine the outcome of the complaint. As the victim, it is assumed you will go to court when needed and would not need to be compelled. The other guy, as the accused, would either need to give his word by signing a summons or he should be taken into custody and brought before a judge who would view the evidence and either set bail or release him with instructions to return of a certain date. In some places or circumstances, a summons will not be issued on a felony charge. In those instances, the accused would be brought in front of the judge. It's at that point the prosecutor has the option of picking up or refusing the charges.

If there's some other reason you're not buying it, feel free to let us know and we can try to explain it. Although I suspect you won't buy it regardless of the explanation given. I could be wrong but we will see.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Holy cow ! You're trying so hard to be " right " , I've lost track of what we're debating . ATM robbery and sworn statements ... Jesus man , let it go .

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Except in both cases there is no evidence to support either accusation and I highly doubt any Prosecutor would go that far out on a limb to take a case like that to court .[/Q

Perez makes an insightful and well articulated post, once again. To anyone who doubts the possibility, if not probability, of his scenario, think back just a few years. The Orleans Parish D.A.'s office charged two NOPD officers with crimes almost identical to what Perez describes. The officers were accused of "strong arming" the owner of a massage parlor, located near Canal & Robertson. While their guns were holstered at all times, and the confrontation was not physical in nature, the D.A. contended that any reasonable person would perceive the exchange as a threat/ cause for alarm. That is all that needs to be established to get the ball rolling.
    There was a subsequent federal (A.U.S.A.) run at them as well. Suffice it to say that if an officer (who is REQUIRED to be armed when in uniform) can be charged, the private citizen who individually elects to be armed certainly can be charged. There is a substantial amount of legal precedent on these types of incidents, look it up for yourselves if you are skeptical. I don't have a dog in the fight, but I mention it hoping that the members of bayoushooter stay informed. There is never a shortage of armchair experts spreading fallacies and apocryphal stories that trusting readers accept as fact.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If there's some other reason you're not buying it, feel free to let us know and we can try to explain it. Although I suspect you won't buy it regardless of the explanation given. I could be wrong but we will see.

Holy cow ! You're trying so hard to be " right " , I've lost track of what we're debating . ATM robbery and sworn statements ... Jesus man , let it go .

I'm trying so hard to explain it in simpler terms so that more people can understand. I don't have to try to be right. I am right. You don't like it but that doesn't make me wrong. You have not shown anything to indicate I am wrong. You've simply stated you didn't buy it and that you can't follow the conversation when it was further explained. And this wasn't a debate. A debate involves a meaningful back and forth of ideas. This was me explaining what happens in the real world.

As I said before, I suspected that no explanation would lead to your understanding of reality. I seem to have been right there as well.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Look dude , I UNDERSTAND your point . I don't agree with it . It doesn't matter how many times you explain it or how many " examples " you list , I don't agree . And that is what YOU don't like . Call yourself the winner and gloat if it will make you feel superior . I DON'T CARE . Have a good evening .

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Look dude , I UNDERSTAND your point . I don't agree with it . It doesn't matter how many times you explain it or how many " examples " you list , I don't agree . And that is what YOU don't like . Call yourself the winner and gloat if it will make you feel superior . I DON'T CARE . Have a good evening .

So you went from not being able to follow the conversation to understanding it. That's good. That was my goal.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Wow, did not know they were hitting people in the head to steal guns. Sounds like a place I would not like to be, CC or OC.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Wow , you missed MY point completely but that's ok . As long as you feel like you accomplished something here I'm good with that .

I had to guess due to the vagueness of your posts. I know you disagree with something but I'm still not sure if it was that the courts settle accusations of criminal wrongdoing, that the police investigate criminal complaints, that criminal complaints can come from people, or something else entirely. So it's very possible I did miss your point.

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    I tried to "Quote" NolaRadio's post asking what holster I use but the "Quote" didn't post on my reply.
    Anyway, Nolaradio, see below.

I have two, one BladeTech Level 2 and a Safariland Level 2. Not sure of the exact model names or numbers.
    Both require thumb activation to release the gun.
    The SafariLand fits much closer to the body, the Bladetech is more like MIL or LE would typically use.
    I will say I have seen some sketchy holsters used for OC.
    Heck, one day at Cabelas a girl had what looked like a Sig 938 just stuck in her back pocket with the grip sticking out.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    In the grand scheme of things , it ain't important . Have a good weekend .

So you just disagreed with him for the fun of it? WTF I was waiting for you to bust out some facts to backup your claims! But nothing really? Why even disagree in the 1st place????

Top Bottom