Open Carry Oversensitivity

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cwolff09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2017
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm new to the board and recently rehomed back to LA from AZ. In AZ, open carry is openly encouraged, as a matter of fact there are organizations that have open carry dinner parties and support restaurants and businesses that don't have the dreaded gun-free zone sign in their windows.

I've been surprised to read on many LA FFL webpages and firearms blogs that there is a recommendation that you earn your CCW quickly and open carry in practically no situation if at all possible.

Are the laws that vague or has there been a major issue in LA that I missed during my lengthy absence? :D

Thanks,
    Christopher

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I'm new to the board and recently rehomed back to LA from AZ. In AZ, open carry is openly encouraged, as a matter of fact there are organizations that have open carry dinner parties and support restaurants and businesses that don't have the dreaded gun-free zone sign in their windows.

I've been surprised to read on many LA FFL webpages and firearms blogs that there is a recommendation that you earn your CCW quickly and open carry in practically no situation if at all possible.

Are the laws that vague or has there been a major issue in LA that I missed during my lengthy absence? :D

Thanks,
    Christopher

Welcome aboard.

1) I know a couple people in LA that open carry very often and never have trouble.

2) What advantages do you feel open carry provides?

cwolff09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2017
    New Orleans, LA
    I can certainly cite the disadvantages (In LA) however I would narrow my advantages down to:

-Deterrence (studies show criminals prefer a soft target)
    -Comfort/Convenience
    -I am a visible symbol of a law abiding American exercising my rights.

Now in Orleans parish it seems like every establishment is either a bar or has a 'gun free zone' sign so carry of any kind appears to be a pain. Thank you for responding :)

In states like AZ and Michigan where you can open or concealed carry as long as you legally own a gun, groups organize to not patronize gun-free establishments. I think this would be an interesting bit of activism to get involved with locally.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The disadvantage to open carry is you will be the first target for the BG.
    The real advantage is carrying concealed.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I can certainly cite the disadvantages (In LA) however I would narrow my advantages down to:

-Comfort/Convenience

Now in Orleans parish it seems like every establishment is either a bar or has a 'gun free zone' sign so carry of any kind appears to be a pain. Thank you for responding :)

In states like AZ and Michigan where you can open or concealed carry as long as you legally own a gun, groups organize to not patronize gun-free establishments. I think this would be an interesting bit of activism to get involved with locally.

I think in the real world we have a new breed of animals that don't scare to easy.

cwolff09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2017
    New Orleans, LA
    I think in the real world we have a new breed of animals that don't scare to easy.
    If I recall correctly, Buds Broiler was robbed by a BG with an airsoft gun. If Buds advertised a discount for open carry, and the statistics hold up that felons avoid open carriers (I'll have to find the study) would the outcome have been the same?

armed.jpg

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    What benefits of open carry outway the benefits of concealed carry? The only two real benefits are speed of draw (which is so marginal), and comfort, which is subjective.

OC lets everyone know that you have a gun and no matter where you are, that will make some people uncomfortable. Also, you draw attention to yourself (often in a negative manner). Oh, and if there is a bad-guy, you now have the very first target on your head.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If I recall correctly, Buds Broiler was robbed by a BG with an airsoft gun. If Buds advertised a discount for open carry, and the statistics hold up that felons avoid open carriers (I'll have to find the study) would the outcome have been the same?

armed.jpg

Probably, because drawing on a drawn gun from across a counter isn't smart. Giving a robber a money and walking away safe is though.

RM Holsters

Aware
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    The only way I can see open carry being advantage is if MOST everyone in an establishment / area / town, were open carrying. Then as a bad guy your odds of accomplishing your goals have greatly diminished.

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    OC lets everyone know that you have a gun and no matter where you are, that will make some people uncomfortable. Also, you draw attention to yourself (often in a negative manner). Oh, and if there is a bad-guy, you now have the very first target on your head.

This is the correct answer.

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    I also found Arizona to be a lot more gun friendly. It was an everyday sight to see someone open carry and no big deal there. I miss the numerous public places you could pull off the road and shoot (they weren't officially ranges, but everyone knew them as such).

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Here's another hidden potential disadvantage to open carry. You have to be careful disagreeing with someone, even if you are in the right.

Here's a made up example. You go to a store and buy something. When you get home and open it, you realize it's defective somehow. On the following day you go back to the store and the manager tells you all sales are final, even though there is no sign posted. (That is a civil issue, outside the normal scope of law enforcement.) You ask about the lack of sign. The manager gives in and credits your credit card. You leave. The manager then calls the cops and tells them he felt threatened because you had a gun and you were demanding a refund.

Sounds farfetched? Here's a real world example. A police sergeant was in charge of organizing some officers for an off-duty detail. A while after the event, the officers had still not been paid what the company had agreed to pay them. The sergeant goes to the company to ask about the delay. He tells the company the officers worked what they were supposed to work and they deserve to get paid what they were supposed to get paid. The company pays the officers. The company then calls Internal Affairs and makes a complaint. Internal Affairs then begins an investigation as to whether or not the sergeant was guilty of armed robbery. Armed robber is defined as "the taking of anything of value belonging to another from the person of another or that is in the immediate control of another, by use of force or intimidation, while armed with a dangerous weapon." The guy at the company reported he only paid the officers at that time because he felt intimidated.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

-Comfort/Convenience

I didn't even think to look at the location to see if it was NOLA. I refuse to travel to that cesspool of a city and I wouldn't dare open carry there.

As far as Open carry being a "deterrence" well... some people think that racking a pump shotgun is a "deterrence" also lol.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    This was an enjoyable and informative converation and I appreciate everyone's input. Give me a few weeks to get over the culture shock :D

Just Open Carry in "The Big Easy" for a few weeks and get back with us.:)

Top Bottom