Investing

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Does anyone here do any investing? If so, which product(s) do you use to actually conduct your transactions.

tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    I have all my retirement money invested with Edward Jones, as does my friend. I keep about 2/3 of my money in bonds (corporate, munis) averaging about 4% and 1/3 in stocks that pay a good dividend. I'm 66 so don't want all my money exposed to the ups and downs of the stock market, yet I need some growth to keep up with inflation. I have been well please with my EJ advisor.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I also use Edward Jones, have been happy with their performance.
    I dont play around with guessing what to buy, I'm fairly low tolerance to loss. Would rather make small than possibly lose big.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    4th on Edward Jones. I use a lady here in Denham. We've done well the last few years that we've used her. She has laid out a plan and it's working. As others have said I don't have time to guess as to where to put my money. Let the experts do that for you, just find the right one.

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    Investing advice is generally worth what you pay for it. I have tried just about every method and strategy over the years as a non-professional investor, including EJ. "Professionals" like EJ are pros at making money. The thing is, they make their money off you. I have found that when the "professionals" have done good work for me--it is because the market is on a tear and everyone is making money anyway (more if you subtract their fees).

You have to figure out what kind of products you want based on your risk tolerance and your goals. Do your own research and buy them yourself through whatever low cost trade company you want. If you are unable or unwilling to find the info you need to make the decision on what to invest in...do what Warren Buffet says. Find the lowest cost S&P index fund you can and let it ride. It will go up and down no doubt, but over a long enough time horizon you will come out just fine. Maximize your IRA and 401k opportunities along the way.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Investing advice is generally worth what you pay for it. I have tried just about every method and strategy over the years as a non-professional investor, including EJ. "Professionals" like EJ are pros at making money. The thing is, they make their money off you. I have found that when the "professionals" have done good work for me--it is because the market is on a tear and everyone is making money anyway (more if you subtract their fees).

You have to figure out what kind of products you want based on your risk tolerance and your goals. Do your own research and buy them yourself through whatever low cost trade company you want. If you are unable or unwilling to find the info you need to make the decision on what to invest in...do what Warren Buffet says. Find the lowest cost S&P index fund you can and let it ride. It will go up and down no doubt, but over a long enough time horizon you will come out just fine. Maximize your IRA and 401k opportunities along the way.

My EJ man. made me money when the market was down. I don’t care that I have to pay him. Would cost me a lot more to learn for myself. He also guides me in areas where he makes no money (my work 401k).

Everyone is in their field to make money. I don’t mind paying for good results.

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    My EJ man. made me money when the market was down. I don’t care that I have to pay him. Would cost me a lot more to learn for myself. He also guides me in areas where he makes no money (my work 401k).

Everyone is in their field to make money. I don’t mind paying for good results.
    Like I said, it is generally worth what you pay for it. My advice included. I have never found the guy that has been able do something contrary to the overall market. Better or worse. Maybe I should get your guys number I'm all for a professional getting their cut. Happy to pay for it. It would be nice to find the pro that just took a flat percentage of the wins (and losses!) and called it a day.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    ...I have never found the guy that has been able do something contrary to the overall market...

Bernie Madoff ! :rofl:

Personally, I've stayed with one financial advisor for over 20 yrs, even as she moved from Smith-Barney to Fidelity to Wells Fargo. She has always given good advice, and I've been pleased with results.

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    I envy you guys that have found "the dude". I wish I hadn't found the wrong guy (3-4 times).

At least we are talking about actually saving/preserving. First world problems in this case.

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    NOT ADVICE! I did want to time/date stamp this in regards to this conversation...the market is really high and potentially "bubblicious".:noes:

Last edited:

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    Had very bad luck with 2 advicors in the past so I tried it on my own for a while, which as others have said is mostly hit and mostly miss. I now have IRA and 401k with Vanguard.com in low cost index mutual funds and love them. They also have low cost advisors available, which I haven't used yet

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    My dad started a IRA at Vanguard for me 30+ years ago when I was a young teenager. When I became aware of what investing was years later I researched it and have stayed with Vanguard ever since.

There is an episode on the Art of Manliness Podcast titled "How to think about money". It's a very good interview with a finance guy who gives some good suggestions. I probably liked it because he re-affirmed my overall plan which is keep it simple, low cost, and consistent.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Cryptocurrency.

What app do you use to trade them? I almost got into Bitcoin when I was in NYC over the summer. Had I done so, I would have doubled my money and then some.

I've been using a company lately that gives you free trades. If anyone is interested, PM me and I can send you a referral code that gets you a free stock for signing up.

Top Bottom