Lee classic loader

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reapergun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2017
    denham springs LA
    I bought a lee classic loader for 9x19 and after chamfering and trimming my cases I sized them using lube and made sure to sink them all the way into the die.

I loaded a round and chambered it and my slide locked up. I had to pry my extractor off the case head through the magwell to get it unlocked, it was solid.

Upon further inspection I noticed that I hadn't gauged this round and it got stuck in the chamber so I went through and gauged 100 rounds and about have of them were a no go. I pulled my calipers out and noticed that the rounds that would not pass the gauging test were bulged about 3/4 of the way toward the case head. It was almost as if it were a bulging belt because the case mouth was sized fine and above the case head was sized fine. It was just that middle belt that made my cases stick.

Any idea what causes that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    How far down do you have your sizer die set? Is it a carbide die? If so no lube is needed.

When I set my 9mm does up I raise the ram with the shell plate all the way up, screw the die down till it touches and the back off 1/8-1/4 turn. Works every time.

Also what is your source for your brass? It is possible you got some brass form someone who was loading for 9mm major competition class (read HIGH PRESSURE AND VELOCITY) that bulge the case past usefulness. Those are one and done loads.

EDIT also pics with measurements would help.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

Last edited:

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Were these cases fired originally in a Glock? Glocks and some other semi auto pistols have a chamber that does not fully support the case head, leading to an excessive bulge in the unsupported area of the case. Lee sells a "Bulge Buster" die designed to remove this bulge. Cases passed through this special die can then be loaded in the normal manner. Also, depending on the bullet being used, seating depth may need to be adjusted for proper headspace which can also cause chambering issues.

reapergun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2017
    denham springs LA
    Were these cases fired originally in a Glock? Glocks and some other semi auto pistols have a chamber that does not fully support the case head, leading to an excessive bulge in the unsupported area of the case. Lee sells a "Bulge Buster" die designed to remove this bulge. Cases passed through this special die can then be loaded in the normal manner. Also, depending on the bullet being used, seating depth may need to be adjusted for proper headspace which can also cause chambering issues.
    The casing sticks even if I pull the barrel out and use just the case, no bullet. I inherited the brass from a friend of a friend of a friend's dad who passed away so I have no idea where it came from. I may look into the bulge buster kits. It seems like it would come in handy anyways.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    The casing sticks even if I pull the barrel out and use just the case, no bullet. I inherited the brass from a friend of a friend of a friend's dad who passed away so I have no idea where it came from. I may look into the bulge buster kits. It seems like it would come in handy anyways.

If that’s the case I would pitch them and get some fresh once fired. I think FRC in BR sells brass for dirt cheap if your in the area. Even if not it’s so cheap it’s worth a drive.

Btw, I have a Glock 9mm and have never experienced this alleged “glock bulge” in my loads (some very hot!). I’m pretty sure that is the case with the 40s&w but not with the 9’s. It’s much more likely the bulged cases were seriously hot-rodded and bulged due to premature unlocking of the barrel and slide. Or even a blowback 9mm of some sort with a week spring.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I looked closer and the Lee bulge buster doesn't work with the 9MM. Probably because the case is slightly tapered. New brass may be in order.

Last edited:

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    I'm not sure about the Loader in 9mm but it was designed to neck size only rifle cases. Maybe it's just not sizing them down enough for some reason. See if someone can run a few of your cases through a regular sizing die to see if that solves the issue.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    How about you come by Louisiana Gun & let me look at your ammo. I would also like to see some cases that have been just resized. Think we can help you. I won't be there until this afternoon or give us a call and we can set up a time for you to come by. Try 225-389-6077.

Bryan

reapergun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2017
    denham springs LA
    Where is Louisiana gun at? I'm thinking I'll run them through a normal die and press. The classic set full sizes it's handgun cartridges and neck sizes the rifle cartridges but the lee classic sets are fading out from my understanding. But for all I know, they very well could've been loaded super hot.

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    I looked closer and the Lee bulge buster doesn't work with the 9MM. Probably because the case is slightly tapered. New brass may be in order.

I have seen a lot of videos on u-tube using the Lee 9mm Makarov crimp die with the Bulge Buster
    Wingate

Top Bottom