NRA tosses us under a bus

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    I could deal with them losing something if we get something back. But we never get anything back. Save for the 1994 AWB sunsetting in 2004 it’s been nothing but incremental losses. Half the time I think the NRA is a *false opposition* group. Granted I get that it’s all an uphill fight but when the best you can do is hold ground sometimes, something needs to change.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

... You wouldn't feel this way if you spent more time at the Capital. We had a lot of success the past few years. Ever session we gain, hold, or lose ground. She. We lose ground we do our best to lose as little as possible... while the sidelines/peanut gallery only takes the time to criticize when things aren't going perfectly.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    Side note, at the annual Louisiana Shooting Association meeting I think we had about 30 attendees this year because there was no immediate threat at the time to gun rights. If we could get half the energy spent on b******* to volunteer we would never lose an inch.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    ... You wouldn't feel this way if you spent more time at the Capital. We had a lot of success the past few years. Ever session we gain, hold, or lose ground. She. We lose ground we do our best to lose as little as possible... while the sidelines/peanut gallery only takes the time to criticize when things aren't going perfectly.

What ground has been gained lately? Serious question. Cuz I’ve not heard of any.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    “Shall not be infringed” is about as clear as it gets here. ALL firearm laws and regs by the fed are illegal, as well as most by individual states I’m sure (as dictated by the state constitution). The ONLY way for legitimate gun laws is a constitutional amendment to modify or eliminate the 2A. Meaning any weapon of any kind is 100% protected constitutionally, cannons and artillery etc. are included. So automatic weapons technically ARE allowed, but the fed has its head so far up its bum it thinks it can tell us no and jail is if we tell them they are wrong and ignore them.

Ok end rant. Also this was not intended to be a hostile post towards you, sir so I apologize in advance if it comes off as such. My frustration over our ignorant and/or nefarious leadership is nagging at me again.

The rationale is the 2nd amendment was put in place to protect the citizens from any enemy, including their own government. Logic would dictate in order for that to be achieved, the citizens must be allowed to own arms that would rival that of the enemy against which it fights. So "shall not be infringed" was written into the amendment. I can certainly respect that point of view.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Get rid of the "Bump stocks" if it takes the focus off other things and makes them believe they're making headway... let them have them! It's a BS, useless (other than pi$$ing away hundreds of dollars of ammo in five minutes), non aesthetically pleasing (unattractive) add-on anyway that would be out dated and useless in the coming years with other options in development. Or go back to the origin and use a rubber band and your belt loop.

It's ALMOST as dumb as shooting Tannerite! or "solvent" traps!!!!

Last edited:

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    The rationale is the 2nd amendment was put in place to protect the citizens from any enemy, including their own government. Logic would dictate in order for that to be achieved, the citizens must be allowed to own arms that would rival that of the enemy against which it fights. So "shall not be infringed" was written into the amendment. I can certainly respect that point of view.

It is a point of view backed up with historical documentation as well as a real life example.

BEHOLD
    http://www.truthrevolt.org/commentary/2nd-amendment-it-muskets-only

RM Holsters

Aware
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Cannot give in to ANYONE who want to take away what all of us want in the end, which is freedom. Anything to be able to defend ourselves and our freedoms from enemies both foreign and domestic should be legal. We already do not have the same advantage as some of our enemies. I do not want to give up anything already legal just because it makes someone else feel good.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    First let me say I don't like it but here is the best you can do and maybe score a few points with the general population, not the hard core banners.
    From the get go the bump stock was a disaster looking for a place to happen, it found one, I knew it was coming, surprised it took so long. Best out come is it be reclassified under title II. Present owners get grandfathered in just as was done in 1968 for unregistered war trophies. Win for NRA, no actual gun control law passed, nothing banned, but problem solved, win for owners when the value of their property goes up, satisfies the general non gun public that something was done.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...can-implement/

What I worry about more is wands and magnetometers becoming more prevalent at establishments and it effect on concealed carry.

Last edited:

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Cannot give in to ANYONE who want to take away what all of us want in the end, which is freedom. Anything to be able to defend ourselves and our freedoms from enemies both foreign and domestic should be legal. We already do not have the same advantage as some of our enemies. I do not want to give up anything already legal just because it makes someone else feel good.

I would agree, if it wasn't just a POS piece of hardware. I mean, if you're ever in a situation in anytown U.S.A. where you need to extract under heavy light arms fire and need suppression using a "bump-fire" stock... you've got a lot more problems than not having your "trusty" slide-fire stock by your side. Just saying... its a novelty and just as dumb as a "crank" trigger or anything like that. Now, newer technology? So much better... more reliable... safer... if you could read between the lines... BUMP FIRE or SLIDE FIRE stocks are on their way out in the first place... throw the dying WEAK pig to the wolves so the healthy ones can escape unscathed.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    I would agree, if it wasn't just a POS piece of hardware. I mean, if you're ever in a situation in anytown U.S.A. where you need to extract under heavy light arms fire and need suppression using a "bump-fire" stock... you've got a lot more problems than not having your "trusty" slide-fire stock by your side. Just saying... its a novelty and just as dumb as a "crank" trigger or anything like that. Now, newer technology? So much better... more reliable... safer... if you could read between the lines... BUMP FIRE or SLIDE FIRE stocks are on their way out in the first place... throw the dying WEAK pig to the wolves so the healthy ones can escape unscathed.

I can understand and appreciate the "practical" and "strategic" nature of the NRA's actions. However, I guess I just don't have the faith in the NRA's intentions that I do, say the GOA. The GOA operates on pure principle. The NRA operates more on politics.

GOA = Ron Paul = Won't cave on anything b/c once it's gone, it's usually not given back.
    NRA = Rand Paul = Will play the political game and cave on certain things to "hopefully" get a "win" somewhere else.

I prefer my gun group (and politician) to be principled to the core.

kingfhb - I don't mean to single out your post, yours is just the last one I saw

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    If we treated the 1stA like the 2nd A...

"Look, nobody wants to BAN your freedom of speech, but you can't pretend that it's not being used by terrorists, white supremacists, trolls, and fake news [outlets] to cause great harm. Have you seen the stats on bullying suicides? We clearly need some common-sense speech restrictions to save lives.

- you must register with the government to post news or social media
    - certain dangerous words and phrases need to be banned outright
    - encryption can't be used without a special license and a demonstration of "good cause"
    - people will be limited to the number of accounts they can have online

I don't see what's so objectionable about the government protecting our RIGHT TO LIFE by enacting some common-sense free speech reforms. It's long overdue."

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    If we treated the 1stA like the 2nd A...

"Look, nobody wants to BAN your freedom of speech, but you can't pretend that it's not being used by terrorists, white supremacists, trolls, and fake news [outlets] to cause great harm. Have you seen the stats on bullying suicides? We clearly need some common-sense speech restrictions to save lives.

- you must register with the government to post news or social media
    - certain dangerous words and phrases need to be banned outright
    - encryption can't be used without a special license and a demonstration of "good cause"
    - people will be limited to the number of accounts they can have online

I don't see what's so objectionable about the government protecting our RIGHT TO LIFE by enacting some common-sense free speech reforms. It's long overdue."

Good one. I like it. Makes you think.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA

Stupid? Yes. Protected under 2A? Yes. Honestly this debate over the stocks is idiotic. Use the liberals own strategy against them. Go on the offensive. Instead of “you can’t blame everyone for what this one guy did”, try “this happened because everyone was defenseless, we need to repeal ALL gun control that is all illegal anyway so you can defend yourself”. Dems would freak. Say you can’t do that! Oh yes we can. Then they want to talk. So we don’t do it all just a couple things. The HPA, 1986 GCA, one or two at a time. THATS how you win. Especially with a republican majority everywhere. But nope. No balls in Washington for that.

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I think y'all may be making some assumptions, we'll see how it plays out. However, this is how I read that statement:

the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law.

The NRA knows that bump stocks do not meet the definition of a machine gun because they do not fire more than one round per trigger pull. The ATF has already reviewed the items and made a decision they are legal. Without changing the definition of a machine gun, bump stocks could not qualify. The NRA knows this and knows what the result of the "immediate review" should be.

The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations.

Again, in order for a semi-automatic rifle to function like a fully-automatic rifle the device would need to make it possible to fire more than one round by a single function of the trigger. A bump stock or binary trigger does not do that and therefore would not be what the NRA considers a device needing additional regulation. So, while they are backing the ban on new production machine guns which is a whole other conversation, they are not saying that fast semi-auto fire should be illegal. This is the NRA making a show to the public, this is not them stating they back a ban on bump stocks.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A bump stock or binary trigger does not do that and therefore would not be what the NRA considers a device needing additional regulation.

My opinion is the bump stock and a binary trigger are not the same thing. From Slide Fire's How It Works page, "Maintaining a light and consistent forward pressure will continue the firing sequence." It can be argued you take one deliberate action and "maintain" that one action in order to have multiple rounds leave the chamber. With a binary trigger, the pulling and the releasing of the trigger are distinct actions, each resulting in one round leaving the chamber. With rapid semi-auto fire, each round requires its own distinct action.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    My opinion is the bump stock and a binary trigger are not the same thing. From Slide Fire's How It Works page, "Maintaining a light and consistent forward pressure will continue the firing sequence." It can be argued you take one deliberate action and "maintain" that one action in order to have multiple rounds leave the chamber.

I was thinking the same thing, that it only takes one motion to start the flow.

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I see what you are saying, although, that function is still two things and it does not change the fact that the trigger must be pull with your finger each time. And that's the whole point. The technical definition of a machine gun revloves around the trigger and how many rounds are fired per single action of the trigger. There is no way to make the current definition apply to bump firing using both your hands. However, the ATF is known for arbitrary and often contradictory definitions for what is and isn’t legal.

Now, if the bump stock had a built in post where your finger goes, then I could see where someone could reasonably make your argument that the constant pull forward is the same as a constant pull back on a machine gun trigger since the constant pull forward is by itself a single action.

Last edited:

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    The legislation they've already set in motion to try and pass says "anything that changes the rate of fire" of the rifle... so it may include any and all of the triggers, cranks, stocks, etc. that assist.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Why is it that when "refugees" rape, rob or murder (Germany, France) we are brow beaten with the idea that "They AREN'T all bad! We should allow more into the country!" But when one head case (this or any other) does something evil with a gun (tool) we are again brow beaten with the idea of "They (guns) ARE all bad! We should get them out of the country!" Why is it that the actions of some (BLM, gangs in Chicago, New Orleans) are understandable and "not their fault" but owning a gun legally makes you the same as every murderer who uses a gun and its "our fault" that it happens? More than 500 people were gunned down in Chicago so far this year, probably the most heavily regulated municipality in the country. Where's the public outcry? Does it just not fit the narrative?

The same week as Sandy Hook a man in China killed more children in a school with a hammer than what happened in our school. Was it the hammer culture that made him do it? If laws against murder wont stop murder its obsurd to think that more restrictive firearm laws will stop violence.

Last edited:

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The legislation they've already set in motion to try and pass says "anything that changes the rate of fire" of the rifle... so it may include any and all of the triggers, cranks, stocks, etc. that assist.

That's some pretty scary language, or lack thereof. A lot left up interpretation.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom