NRA tosses us under a bus

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I've acknowledged they are legal. I've explained why they are legal. Heck, I even posted the letter from the ATF showing where and why they don't classify it a making a machine gun and supported their legality even if they were determined to convert a weapon to a machine gun. I then guessed where, if anywhere, I believed the ATF (or someone else) will work to make them more regulated. And I've explained why by using a previous ATF ruling where they ruled a very similar product made a weapon a machine gun. I then went on to explain why I would agree with classifying the thing as converting a weapon to auto. You don't agree with my opinion and that is fine. And you're welcome to not justify why you disagree if you'd rather not provide the justification. We're not entitled to anything from you. Posting here is your choice. But when you post information that shows my opinion to be wrong and that information contradicts the information presented by the company you are supporting, you must understand I'm not going to let it just slide by.

I agree with Sulzer on this one. Yes you do not "pull" the trigger, but the trigger fires one bullet per trigger engagment and it is indeed your finger that engages the trigger to cause the firing. Does my belt loop qualify as a machine gun? I think your point is reasonable, and probably the logic the ATF will use to ban these, but I do think they got it right the first (and second, and third) time.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I agree with Sulzer on this one. Yes you do not "pull" the trigger, but the trigger fires one bullet per trigger engagment and it is indeed your finger that engages the trigger to cause the firing. Does my belt loop qualify as a machine gun? I think your point is reasonable, and probably the logic the ATF will use to ban these, but I do think they got it right the first (and second, and third) time.

Based on the current definitions, I agree the ATF got it right as well. And the point should be moot as it should be legal regardless of the classification.

ckelly

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Metairie
    This thread is exactly what is wrong with asking for more regulation of any kind (even for a political win, regardless if you like the product in question or not). We here are generally more informed about these products than any politician. What happens when we have law makers ( especially ignorant law makers) playing around with fundamental definitions of the law?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    *Shall not be infringed*
    There’s nothing else to discuss. Anything else is a sellout, give in, against the law.
    There are people who forget that the U.S. Constitution and its amendments are the law, there are people who want you to forget that they are the law. If the NRA sees any need to negotiate our freedoms then they are not living up to their mission.
    I don’t know for certain if that is the case, but the statement they made sure sounds like they are leaning that way for whatever reason.

Here’s the real deal: You don’t think Bumpfire stocks are worth the fight. Stupid gimmick, terrible waste of ammo, can’t hit anything with it anyway. Gone.
    Next: Who the hell needs a .50 BMG anyway?! Good riddance.

Next: Yeah, hundred round mag is way too heavy anyway. Can’t even control the rifle
    They can have it. Gone.

Next: Ok, yeah, I can’t possibly see the need for a 30 round mag. I can swap mags so quick it don’t matter. Small price to pay. Gone.

Next: Well, one shot one kill and every shot counts, yada yada, I can make a bolt action work for me. Who needs semi auto? BANNED.

Fall in, line up and graze in the sheep pasture.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    *Shall not be infringed*
    There’s nothing else to discuss. Anything else is a sellout, give in, against the law.
    There are people who forget that the U.S. Constitution and its amendments are the law, there are people who want you to forget that they are the law. If the NRA sees any need to negotiate our freedoms then they are not living up to their mission.
    I don’t know for certain if that is the case, but the statement they made sure sounds like they are leaning that way for whatever reason.

Here’s the real deal: You don’t think Bumpfire stocks are worth the fight. Stupid gimmick, terrible waste of ammo, can’t hit anything with it anyway. Gone.
    Next: Who the hell needs a .50 BMG anyway?! Good riddance.

Next: Yeah, hundred round mag is way too heavy anyway. Can’t even control the rifle
    They can have it. Gone.

Next: Ok, yeah, I can’t possibly see the need for a 30 round mag. I can swap mags so quick it don’t matter. Small price to pay. Gone.

Next: Well, one shot one kill and every shot counts, yada yada, I can make a bolt action work for me. Who needs semi auto? BANNED.

Fall in, line up and graze in the sheep pasture.

1st let me say I think bumpfire stocks are dumb and banning them won’t affect me one bit. But I am 100% against banning them for the reasons you list!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    1st let me say I think bumpfire stocks are dumb and banning them won’t affect me one bit. But I am 100% against banning them for the reasons you list!
    thanks big guy. I’ve followed you for a while on this forum and I knew you’d get it.
    The chipping away at our freedom is what so many do not get. The *anti’s* are very good at that game. They’ve been working on their game since before any of us were born. Anyone who cares at all about preserving the 2nd amendment and the Constitution as a whole needs to stop acting like they were born yesterday. I never bought into any of the 90’s gun control crap and I don’t buy into any of it now. Too many gun owners are too comfy at the moment and that makes conditions right for us to lose another foothold.
    I’ve seen us lose a lot of ground in my 53 years. Not just legal but also social ground.
    Kids getting expelled for biting a pop tart into the shape of a pistol. Are you following me here? Any idea how we got to this point?
    My grand dad was born in 1896 He fought in 2 world wars and was a serious gun collector as well as gun rights advocate. He told me plenty of stories about how gun laws changed over the years both here and abroad and how it affected our country and others. He also told me what he believed would come to pass in my time. I’m glad I listened to him when I was young. He was right.
    Always oppose any infringement. Always .

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    thanks big guy. I’ve followed you for a while on this forum and I knew you’d get it.
    The chipping away at our freedom is what so many do not get. The *anti’s* are very good at that game. They’ve been working on their game since before any of us were born. Anyone who cares at all about preserving the 2nd amendment and the Constitution as a whole needs to stop acting like they were born yesterday. I never bought into any of the 90’s gun control crap and I don’t buy into any of it now. Too many gun owners are too comfy at the moment and that makes conditions right for us to lose another foothold.
    I’ve seen us lose a lot of ground in my 53 years. Not just legal but also social ground.
    Kids getting expelled for biting a pop tart into the shape of a pistol. Are you following me here? Any idea how we got to this point?
    My grand dad was born in 1896 He fought in 2 world wars and was a serious gun collector as well as gun rights advocate. He told me plenty of stories about how gun laws changed over the years both here and abroad and how it affected our country and others. He also told me what he believed would come to pass in my time. I’m glad I listened to him when I was young. He was right.
    Always oppose any infringement. Always .

It’s like smoking. I feel if a private restaurant wants to allow smoking why should the government step in. Now would I eat at a restaurant that allows smoking? Nope but I feel that should be up to the owner to allow it or not. I know I know people have a right to clean air...... we’ll eat someplace else!!!! But it’s another way to take away peoples rights.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I am not giving them $ to renew! I guess I will send in $ for my sons as he likes the magazine.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    They will NEVER see another dime of mine !

As angry as I am: I don't think abandoning the NRA is the answer. They are the single largest organization educating our youth in the shooting sports.

I think that we have to make our position known to the NRA leadership, and vote for the board members very carefully.

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    As angry as I am: I don't think abandoning the NRA is the answer. They are the single largest organization educating our youth in the shooting sports.

That is what parents are for.Fathers are best at showing their children
    how to fish,hunt,shoot.And letting anyone teach kids,especially millennials
    ,is never a good idea.Kids now days could care less about most of those
    things.But they would remember dad shooting that buck with them last
    year or them catching a 5lb bass ,foreverrrrrrrrrrrr....

NRA is here to help you,ever heard those words before?Just a money thing
    now.Your right,it didn't use to be that way,but those days are long gone,
    good people that ran it are long gone.Say goodbye to your rights and hello
    to 20 acres that can be self sustained and a decent school that isn't
    interflated ,for your kids to grow up in.

I use to give money to wounded soldiers program.Thought it was wonderful,
    till I found out its just another scam.They only give .07% of alllllll proceeds to
    the actual fund for wounded men:(

Abolish the NRA,,A T F ,,and many other made up infrastructures that only
    make life more difficult.We didn't need them when they started ,we don't need
    them now.

TAKE BACK AMERICA !!!!!!

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Lots of fail in this thread. :rolleyes:

Some of these remarks are out of fantasy land.

Do those of you that are boohooing the NRA realize that the "original intent" of the 2nd Amendment was so that Colonial Americans (at that time), could protect themselves and the Republic against it's OWN government should it turn on them?

Got news for you! Your government is turning on you now! If the preliminary reports are true (I for one believe they are), the FBI has conspired to fix the outcome of your Presidential election. Are you as angry at that as you are the NRA? You are so adamant at the breath and scope of the 2nd Amendment; are you prepared to take back your tyrannical government by force?

Do you think that the Founders thought about what this country would look like in 200 years? Cell phones, computers, lasers, space travel, and yesterday a cloned monkey! Not a lowly simple sheep (Dolly), but a mammal closest related to a human being?

Point being, you should be jumping for joy at the work the NRA has done in the past 100 years. They actually took the original intent of the 2nd Amendment from a very distant time and modernized its intent to keep pace with the here and the now. Self defense! Home defense! Sport shooting! Hunting! Legalized ownership of automatic weapons (if you are willing to pay)! And, on and on!

Go back and read the original verbiage in the 2nd Amendment; then think about all of the things that you can legally do and the firearms you can legally use and own in the context of the modern world, and tell me how the NRA let you down.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    If 25% of gun owners belonged to the NRA, they would have the clout to have kept FA legal in 1986.

The greatest folly of gun owners is the quickness to throw stones at the NRA and divide ourselves when there are real forces at work that want to strip 100% of guns and gun rights.

The amount of work, time and money that go to shoveling against the tide is NOTHING compared to the resources of the opposition yet the NRA and state bodies like the LSA manage to do more with less.

Everyone who had anything to do with 1934 is dead and gone. In the meantime - current reality - the NRA has 3-5 million members and a shoestring budget vs the perception of the general public - while still being a 300 lb gorrilla with 2-4% of gun owners actually paying dues.

Soooooo - keep bashing the NRA - and why not go after capitalism - it isn't perfect either.

PS for those looking to truly help the cause, I look forward to seeing you at the LSA annual meeting - Come and tell us how you can volunteer your time.

If HALF the time bitching about the NRA was spent contacting state and federal congress critters we wouldn't need the NRA at all.

Last edited:

TXAZ

BMG Neophyte
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Greenwood LA / Plano TX
    I was a member but left after they seemed to become a more politically correct organization than fact-based advocacy group.
    I don't agree (or disagree) with everything they do and some of it's clearly good (education for one) but who knows what they're going to spout off with next week.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    I'm truly astounded at the general willingness to avoid supporting the best because the perfect isn't available.

GOA doesn't have a seat at the table. No one but the NRA does on the national stage. Bunch of humans run it and who runs it changes over time.

I tire of repeating myself. What do I know - I've only been in a few dozen committee/sub-committee hearings which isn't enough but it is more than most. I wish everyone posting had done the same with their valuable time and then came away with understanding the reality of how things work in our "representative" system. The elected officials are the ones who need their feet held to the fire, 100X more than the NRA.

But hey - keep giving your money to all the other perfect organizations who are getting things done.

... and send me a list of those so I can support them, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom