Pistol Storage Unloaded Magazines In Or Out?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    I have a question about firearms storage. I typically store my firearms with empty mags, and a mag inserted. My question is will storing an auto loader with a magazine inserted weaken the mag spring or cause it to set from the resistance of the slide lock. Initially I thought no, but I just retrieved a Witness from my storage location, and noticed that the factory mag (MecGar) will no longer lock the slide back. The follower stops right at the slide lock, but it wont push past to engage. The factory mag has been stored inside the gun for a few years. Last time the pistol went on a range trip it functioned properly, but now it wont engage the slide lock. I inspected the mag and the spring seems very strong, the follower was clean and I cleaned the mag body, but nothing I do can get the follower to engage the slide lock.

Eventually to remedy the problem I switched the mag guts with the follower spring and floor plate from another mag, and now both mags seem to work, but under no circumstances will the magazine work in its factory configuration.
    The only thing I can come up with is sitting in the gun unused either the mag body deformed or the mag spring weakened under the slide lock pressure. However, when I put the spring and follower from Mag #2 in the housing for the factory mag I noticed the follower seemed to slow down at a the same point the factory spring and follower would stop. Alomost seems like the housing is defromed enough to slow down the follower.

Only way I can get the factory mag in its factory configuration to lift the follower up to its proper height is by pressing it down and removing my finger fast. Both the factory mag and Mag #2 are Mec Gar mags. Im going to the range later in the week to see if every thing functions properly with the new configuration, but now the slide lock does engage.

How common is it that unloaded magazines break whilst being stored in firearms? Any idea how this could have happened?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I know you can load Glock magazines and Glock pistols with a magazine for a long period of time with zero issues.
    Springs weaken with repeated use rather than being under compression.

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    I know you can load Glock magazines and Glock pistols with a magazine for a long period of time with zero issues.
    Springs weaken with repeated use rather than being under compression.
    If any mag would survive being stored full Glock would be my bet.

I may have 500 give or take through the mag in question, but it was stored empty inside the gun.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Just like springs on a vehicles suspension, magazine springs are subject to wear and tear. What causes a spring to wear is cycling. Not being under a un/compressed load, but it traveling over and over.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom