Advice on CCW appeal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • no can deaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2017
    Marrero, LA
    I applied for a CCW. and was denied. I did'nt list an arrest that happened in 1968 almost fifty years ago. Would an appeal be worth while or would I be wasting my time?

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    I applied for a CCW. and was denied. I did'nt list an arrest that happened in 1968 almost fifty years ago. Would an appeal be worth while or would I be wasting my time?

Required to wait one year as a penalty for failing to disclose arrest. Any applications submitted before 1 year of your application will be instantly denied.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    When I applied, I put every thing. The lady told me I didn't even have to bother because they were so old.

The records do not go away, always disclose all arrests.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA

That's what everything I read and was told stated to do, so that's what I did.

Took my friend (squeaky clean with absolutely no record) and I 3-4 months to receive our CHL's.

Have a friend about to go through and get hers. Hopefully it won't be nearly as long.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    That's what everything I read and was told stated to do, so that's what I did.

Took my friend (squeaky clean with absolutely no record) and I 3-4 months to receive our CHL's.

Have a friend about to go through and get hers. Hopefully it won't be nearly as long.

There is no typical time frame . Some people wait for months while I had mine in a week .

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    STATE OF LOUISIANA PARISH OF ________________________
    Affiant’s Name (Printed)
    Affiant’s Address (Printed)
    I, _________________________, having been duly sworn, depose and say that I have read the foregoing
    application, and the contents thereof, and do hereby certify that my responses and information contained within this
    application are true and correct and they are an accurate account of the requested information. In addition, I have
    also read, understand, and agree to comply with the statutes contained in R.S. 40:1379.3 and 1382, and the
    corresponding administrative regulations contained in LAC 55:I:1301 et seq. I have executed this statement
    voluntarily with the knowledge that any failure to provide truthful information is cause for denial of my application
    or revocation of a permit, and that the making of any false statement or response in this application is a violation of
    R.S. 14:133, Filing False Public Records, a criminal offense punishable by imprisonment for not more than five (5)
    years with or without hard labor or a fine not to exceed five thousand dollars, or both.

Print, Type, or Stamp Name of Notary Public Notary Public
    MY COMMISSION EXPIRES _____________________________________
    Affidavits are valid for sixty days after notarization.

Oilman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    Part of what I do for a living involves researching land title records in various courthouses around the state. One day I asked a deputy clerk in one of the courthouses what they do when someone's criminal record is expunged. She said all they do is go to the index book where you look up their name and they white out the entry next to your name for that particular case. I asked if the case file was destroyed and she said no. I asked her, "So, if someone already knows the docket number they can still go pull the file and read it even though it is supposed to be expunged?" She said yes, they can. Although the entry in the index that is available to the public is whited out the court still needs a way to tell if a person has had past offences because if you go through one of those programs that keeps your first offence "off your record" then you could commit the same crime a thousand times and it would always be a first offence. The court needs a way to keep track of that so it is only removed from the publicly viewable index. Also if the only thing they do is remove it from the public index then if a law enforcement officer runs your record then all of it will show up even if it supposed to be expunged. The only advantage then to having it expunged is that if an employer or an apartment complex where you fill out an application wants to see if you have a record then it won't show up. Other than than expungement does absolutely nothing for you in Louisiana. And like I said before if someone already has the docket number and therefore does not need to look it up in the index then they can still pull the file at the courthouse.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Prior to applying for my CHL, I went to LSP and paid for a background check ($15 I think). It turned up a misdemeanor from 1971 on my record that had been Article 894'd. I then went to the courthouse and paid for the adjudication documents (about $10) and included them with my application. No problem. I had forgotten all about it, so the extra $25 paid off for me.

BTW - It was for criminal mischief, juvenile stuff. I was such a badass :rofl:.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA

That was my thinking. NOT disclosing could possibly make someone think you're trying to hide something - whether you are or not. Just disclosing such an old arrest would show NO attempt to hide anything, big deal or small and probably be not considered. My opinion only....

Top Bottom