Barrel Threading

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    I currently have a couple of cans waiting on the ATF to give me the go ahead and need to get a couple of barrels threaded for when they get to come to there new home. I have a Ruger Mk III 22/45, Ruger 10/22 and a Remington 700 in .308. I would like to possibly cut the 700 down as well to save some OAL. I would like to stay somewhat local to save on the shipping. So I have two questions for you guys.

1. The 700 is the SPS stainless with a 24" barrel, the 30 cal can I got is the SilencerCo Specwar that has an OAL of 9". What length would you guys recommend cutting the barrel to? I will be keeping it above 16" to avoid having the SBR the rifle but don't know if I should go with 16.5" or some other length.

2. Where would you recommend me getting the work done?

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    I remember reading somewhere that 20" is touted as the "sweet spot" between shortness and effectiveness on a .308.

I think I'm going to try Willis Arms out of Elm Grove, a little south and west of you (southeast of Shreveport). He was recommended to me by my local 'smith who doesn't have a lathe to do the cutting & threading I need (yet!).

Last edited:

leeroadcc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2017
    Covington, LA
    I agree "Emgunslinger does great work". He cut, threaded and re-crowned a 45/70 Handi rifle for me. Fair price, very fast turn around and excellent work.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I agree "Emgunslinger does great work". He cut, threaded and re-crowned a 45/70 Handi rifle for me. Fair price, very fast turn around and excellent work.

Is he a member here? Contact info?

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Also at 16" my 308 is a tackdriver, I think I gained accuracy with the shortening of the barrel. I shot a big body deer in Oklahoma two years ago with it at 200yds and the deer spun around once and fell. I'd go 16" with it if you plan on hunting out of a deer stand for sure.

mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    I thought I had notifications turned on but it appears as though that is not the case. Thank you all for the replys. I will call Taylor tomorrow to see what he suggests. I have come up with a solution to the 10/22. I just went ahead and ordered a new 10/22 takedown with a threaded barrel already. Hoping it won't be too much long. I know, I know, wishful thinking.

Thanks again for the info. I will post an update when I have one.

Top Bottom