Drop In AR 15 Trigger

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • . 455acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2017
    Monroe Louisiana
    Tried the Franklin Armory Binary Trigger and it was a disaster. So looking for a drop in trigger system for my Colt. I looked at Timney which seems very well done. Any other brands or suggestions from the group would be much appreciated.

The Timney installation I saw had a 3 lb pull. I'm thinking 4 or 4.5 for me. Anyone?

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I had a cmc 3.5lbs boat blade for a while and liked it. Just seemed a little too lite for me. If I got a 4.5lbs I would have kept it. Break and reset are good.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Tried the Franklin Armory Binary Trigger and it was a disaster. So looking for a drop in trigger system for my Colt. I looked at Timney which seems very well done. Any other brands or suggestions from the group would be much appreciated.

The Timney installation I saw had a 3 lb pull. I'm thinking 4 or 4.5 for me. Anyone?

I have a CMC 4.5 lb flat trigger. It wasn't a bad price, got it from Primary Arms for a little less than $130. I'm very pleased with it.

What made the Binary Trigger such a disaster?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I own quite a few AR's and have triggers in all of them. To the point that I have a spare geissele and Cmc trigger in the safe for future builds. For a quick trigger I go for Cmc, for an all around trigger I like geissele, and for a good bang for the buck I like the larue Mbt

. 455acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2017
    Monroe Louisiana
    I have a CMC 4.5 lb flat trigger. It wasn't a bad price, got it from Primary Arms for a little less than $130. I'm very pleased with it.

What made the Binary Trigger such a disaster?

It wouldn't pass the safety test. With the weapon on safe if you pull the trigger a few times it allows the hammer to fall. Once I took it apart to have it reinstalled the guide pin for the trigger has to be reinsirted and won't fit so rebuilding it is necessary. And the instructions are so vague and the video so poorly lit you can't see what he's doing.

It's going back tomorrow. I have never been so frustrated with any piece of equipment on any AR ever.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I see a decent amount of AR triggers. In shop, not live fire and not living with the trigger.
    There a bunch of drop-ins in the $140 range, which I theorize are all from the same contract mfgr.

If you want to spend more
    Look at Geissele, Hyperfire and Elftmann are the standounts
    Geissele - there is a reason it has a good rep in Service Rifle ranks - depends what you're doing.
    Hyperfire - seem very well engineered & executed - Not a drop-in cartridge - their EDT's are affordable
    Elftmann was a really nice trigger - Look and feel of quality
    IIRC all make one with a trigger pull in that range.

Last edited:

pandabear

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    May 1, 2014
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Your Colt lower is the issue. They have to be different than most lowers out there. Most likely you'll have the same problem with other drop-in triggers. The FA binary trigger is a fine trigger. Only issue you'll experience from time to time is hammer follow from squeezing the trigger too fast. With all the recent turmoil the binary trigger's value will certainly goes up.

. 455acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2017
    Monroe Louisiana
    Your Colt lower is the issue. They have to be different than most lowers out there. Most likely you'll have the same problem with other drop-in triggers. The FA binary trigger is a fine trigger. Only issue you'll experience from time to time is hammer follow from squeezing the trigger too fast. With all the recent turmoil the binary trigger's value will certainly goes up.

You are absolutely correct. It was the colt lower. I have decided to keep it stock and purchase a different weapon to build. Now suggestions on platforms to build upon? Just bought my significant other a Saint which seems OK.

jstokes1

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    Houma
    Why don't you try the fostech binary triggers? These are far superior than the Franklin ones and do not have the infamous hammer follow so you can have a continuous string of fire. Well, if you can find one for a good price that is.

NOLAGT

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2016
    Lafayette
    I had a cmc 3.5lbs boat blade for a while and liked it. Just seemed a little too lite for me. If I got a 4.5lbs I would have kept it. Break and reset are good.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

I have a elftman adj and like it. There is a sit that has them for 190 shipped currently. Don't have experience with any others really.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    https://www.redbarnarmory.com/drop-in-ar-15-triggers-kits-assembly-s/1820.htm

Here are a few with good prices. Hint:the velocity triggers are designed by one of the lead guys from Timney (so I was told) and I have one of the early ones. I don't think this site carries the full line but they are top quality drop in and I don't expect the price to stay this low. 139.99
    Feels just like either of my Timney triggers

Last edited:

DSShooters

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2017
    Baton Rouge, LA

We have BCM, CMC and ALG Defense triggers in the store if you’d like to stop by and see them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

. 455acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2017
    Monroe Louisiana
    You got yourself a deal. I'm in Los Angeles until next week but will do so. Thanks for your offer.
    Other than putting some aftermarket furniture on my weapons have never delved into mods. Everyone's help and advice is much appreciated.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom