calling all night hunters!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    good afternoon fellow bayou shooters, got a couple questions...

heres the situation

I own 7.5 acres in rual Livingston parish
    have a box stand set up @80 yards from feeder
    small food plot 1/8acre food plot, that surrounded by trees
    known +200lb hog coming in every night for 2+months
    coming in around average 8pm-3am (tearin **** up)
    I want him dead!!!! :mamoru:

I work shift work so hunting at night isn't an issue, just trying to hunt a full moon is the issue with sched.

so I have a few options.. I have killed 8 or so pigs back there (50-100lbs)with no problem but its always the big nastys that come in in screw everything up.. so heres my options.. and want to know what works for you night time hog hunters.

1) I have a couple led cree green lights that I can put on any gun with silencer and have done great with raccoon control ect, but I know big hogs are a lot smarter than a stupid coon (no pun intended) never actually shined a hog to see what reaction they would have with the green light, and don't wanna get back there and do it and he run off and screw it up

2) https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017459414/moultrie-hog-light-motion-activated-feeder-light

feeder light. never used them, they look like they would work good, would prob have to put it back there and let him get used to it before a solid hunt, only down side is the battery.. looks like it only last a couple nights...

3) https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...pe-3-14x-day-night-digital-night-vision-matte

atn night vision.... really like this idea but don't wanna fork out $600 and find out I cant see crap good at 100 yards with it and be a waste of money. and don't wanna get into buying $300 illuminators ect to add on to it.. If this kit will work by it self then I would be very interested in it, because this is a issue year round and would be able to use it pretty regularly

any other options that work for yall would be great to know, yes I have a hog trap and it has worked great but only for smaller pigs the bigger ones wont go in it, to smart :mad:

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      272.4 KB · Views: 175
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      257.7 KB · Views: 162
    • asset.jpg
      asset.jpg
      20.7 KB · Views: 158
    Last edited:

Tweek

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    madisonville, louisiana
    I haven't had a chance to do any night hunting yet, but did have a wildgame innovations moonshine light on my feeder for a few weeks before deer season. When it did come on, the hogs didnt seem to be bothered at all. After deer season I plan on getting the moutrie one you linked, with a solar panel to keep it charged (think the moultrie one is 20) and run the light in dusk/dawn setting.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Already contacted wlf, it's on personal private property, outside city limits. it's tearing up my property, and they said as long as I contact them to let them know I will be night hunting I'm more than fine... So no issue on that part

Even though a raccoon on side of him won't notice a subsonic 220gr suppressed .308 hitting him in the head, still need to notify them lol

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Already contacted wlf, it's on personal private property, outside city limits. it's tearing up my property, and they said as long as I contact them to let them know I will be night hunting I'm more than fine... So no issue on that part

Even though a raccoon on side of him won't notice a subsonic 220gr suppressed .308 hitting him in the head, still need to notify them lol

That a 300 load?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    rem 700 LTR .308 1:10 twist w/omega
    encore 45/70 405gr subs w/hybrid
    image.jpg

rem 700 LTR .308 1:10 twist w/omega
    image.jpg

220gr .308 round loaded with trailboss
    image.jpg

170gr vs 220gr .308 subs loaded with trailboss
    image.jpg

180gr rainer .308 loaded with traiboss
    image.jpg
    asse.jpg

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    now that we can all agree that this operation will be done during
    legal hours/days or nights/dates/calibers/suppressed/un suppressed/proper people contacted/standing on 1 leg sticking my tongue out a 1/4" to the left so that's no longer an issue

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I wonder if you could get some of those garden solar lights and stick them around the feeder and let them get accustomed to them. You won't have to worry about batteries running out and if they are there all the time, they should get used to them.
    What about a hog snare trap or are they too smart for that?

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    thought about the garden solor lights also.. opted out of them because of the white light, would prob take them awhile to get used to them...
    I wonder if you could get some of those garden solar lights and stick them around the feeder and let them get accustomed to them. You won't have to worry about batteries running out and if they are there all the time, they should get used to them.
    What about a hog snare trap or are they too smart for that?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    did you ever watch them in person with there response to the kill light, or was it mostly game cameras, was just wondering how they responded to it
    I haven't had a chance to do any night hunting yet, but did have a wildgame innovations moonshine light on my feeder for a few weeks before deer season. When it did come on, the hogs didnt seem to be bothered at all. After deer season I plan on getting the moutrie one you linked, with a solar panel to keep it charged (think the moultrie one is 20) and run the light in dusk/dawn setting.

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    On private property, the landowner, or his lessee or agent with written permission and the landowner’s contact information in his possession, may take outlaw quadrupeds (coyotes, armadillos and feral hogs), nutria or beaver during the nighttime hours from one-half hour after official sunset on the last day of February to one-half hour after official sunset the last day of August of that same year.

There is definitely a season. I know LDWF said you are fine to do it, but I would get that in writing. Just because one guy said it's cool doesn't mean the next guy will say the same thing. I don't know why Louisiana won't get on board with nuisance animal regulations like Mississippi and Texas.

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    Also, I have the photon XT cheapo night vision. It would be perfect for what you're doing. It's a good little setup for what it is. You can't scan with it because the FOV is very narrow, but if you have 100 yard shot on a feeder it would do that easily. For the price you can't beat it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SleepingGreyCat
    Top Bottom