.300 aac bolt action shooters? LOAD DATA ADDED

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Really enjoying my Ruger American rifles and wondering if anyone here is exploiting the advantages of these rifles over the AR platform. They are much quieter suppressed and not limited to heavier bullets because the feed issue is mute.
    My son and I wanted a lighter load than the standard Mack truck subs and I wanted it moving as close to sonic as possible for the sake of making longer shots without aiming at the moon. Of course there was no load data just sitting there so we went to work. We have discovered a few very decent 150-168gr hunting loads over the past couple years but I've found a favorite and wanted to share. More to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Really enjoying my Ruger American rifles and wondering if anyone here is exploiting the advantages of these rifles over the AR platform. They are much quieter suppressed and not limited to heavier bullets because the feed issue is mute.
    My son and I wanted a lighter load than the standard Mack truck subs and I wanted it moving as close to sonic as possible for the sake of making longer shots without aiming at the moon. Of course there was no load data just sitting there so we went to work. We have discovered a few very decent 150-168gr hunting loads over the past couple years but I've found a favorite and wanted to share. More to follow.

2cada556df56b1a3a59ebf69cdab7f2d.jpg
    11519df37efcd814ebb56d519e0c9be1.jpg

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Some pics showing my spread on the 168 gr AMAX load which has become my favorite for accuracy and kill power and still quiet. They are all flying very close to the 1100fps mark and pretty consistent. Again, we loaded these rounds specifically for bolt action rifles although I'm able to shoot them problem free in one of my AR based rifles while suppressed.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    So no interest so far but I'll leave my load data anyway. I couldn't find anyone loading anything similar a couple years ago when I started.

Once fired 300 AAC brass
    Federal small rifle primers
    Hornady AMAX 168gr bullet
    11.2gr Hogdon CFE BLK

crimped finished overall length 2.1465 inches

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Magdump, Have you ever worked up a load using other powder's like H 110?

Started with Varget and got a load I liked, trail boss is a good powder but took a full packed case to get what I wanted on velocity. I've used IMR powders also but this BLK powder is the ticket. I doubt I'll try anything else as I've finally got the load I was looking for. I've been a big fan of the hogdon powders for many years.

Again, this load was one I wanted to do for my bolt guns. There was no offering like it and I didn't want to be limited to a lob load when I knew I could do better. For anyone trying to reach out a little more without using a crossbow reticle, this is a great load for suppressed bolt rifles.

Last edited:

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    If you are looking to hunt subsonic w/ 300Blk, if suggest going with a projectile that is specifically designed to expand at subsonic velocities.
    .308 projectiles are great for loading 300BLk, However, they will not expand at subsonic speeds.
    Lehigh Defense makes some great projectiles that are designed specifically for this. While a little pricy, they are worth it when you have to make that one shot count on a hunt.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Speer TNT 125gr expand as well as anything I have tried including Barnes TSX. If there was a difference It wasn't enough to justify spending the extra money for the Barnes. Lots easier to find too.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Speer TNT 125's are great and can be had for cheap. I've loaded over 2k of them.

But I believe the original poster is asking about a subsonic load.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If you are looking to hunt subsonic w/ 300Blk, if suggest going with a projectile that is specifically designed to expand at subsonic velocities.
    .308 projectiles are great for loading 300BLk, However, they will not expand at subsonic speeds.
    Lehigh Defense makes some great projectiles that are designed specifically for this. While a little pricy, they are worth it when you have to make that one shot count on a hunt.

dig a few AMAX bullets out of meat and inspect them before making that statement, but thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Speer TNT 125gr expand as well as anything I have tried including Barnes TSX. If there was a difference It wasn't enough to justify spending the extra money for the Barnes. Lots easier to find too.
    Little too light for a subsonic round. I wanted something less than the standard 220gr or even Hornady's 208gr. Again, not having to worry at all about cycling issues with lighter bullets (using a bolt action) sending a 150-168gr bullet out the barrel a little closer to the sonic barrier gives me much better range and the sound signature has not changed that I can tell.
    The commercial subsonic loads were all under 1000fps out of my Rugers and barely over 900 from my ARs. I've tried 7 commercial subsonic loads from 200-220gr. Sellier & Bellot had the fastest round at an average of 990 fps with a 200gr FMJ.
    Btw, both the Remington and Rem UMC subs I shot through the chrony were all over the place. And all over the target!

Last edited:

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    dig a few AMAX bullets out of meat and inspect them before making that statement, but thanks for the info.

I stand by that statement. Could some expand /deform hitting an animal/game? Prob so depending on what it hit. However, Hornady does not recommend the AMAX (one of the match bullets) for big game hunting. The SST was actually designed for hunting. Can it kill and take big game if loaded to 1000fps? Of course...could you get expansion sometimes? It might be possible. But the results are inconsistent as that is not what that bullet is designed to do.
    A .308 AMax according to Hornady "may not" reliably expand under 2000fps. I know some ppl that have gotten them to expand at 1500-1600fps.
    Will a 168g AMax expand at 1000fps? It's a crap shoot...maybe depending on what it hits it can/will. Some May and some won't...But those results will be inconsistent.

Last edited:

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Sorry... missed the part about subsonic. For me anyway, loading heavier bullets in 300blk has been an education in ogive shape among brands. I have been loading Hornady 150gr Interlock SP for subsonic loads. Have shot hogs and deer with them, fit the magazine, I like them for 30-06, and they are cheap and plentiful. As always though, shot placement rules.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I stand by that statement. Could some expand /deform hitting an animal/game? Prob so depending on what it hit. However, Hornady does not recommend the AMAX (one of the match bullets) for big game hunting. The SST was actually designed for hunting. Can it kill and take big game if loaded to 1000fps? Of course...could you get expansion sometimes? It might be possible. But the results are inconsistent as that is not what that bullet is designed to do.
    A .308 AMax according to Hornady "may not" reliably expand under 2000fps. I know some ppl that have gotten them to expand at 1500-1600fps.
    Will a 168g AMax expand at 1000fps? It's a crap shoot...maybe depending on what it hits it can/will. Some May and some won't...But those results will be inconsistent.

ever shoot a pig or deer with the open tip 220 gr sub commercial loads? They don't expand. My answer to the lob bullet has been successful for me. Would I change bullets if I found one that expanded better? Prolly so if the weight was close and they were accurate, but not for a buck per bullet.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    3c7a8734487dbcdfd91011a9d2f956c7.jpg

I can't tell you whether or not that bullet expanded past .308 caliber and I can't say it mattered one bit

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom