2008 SBR guidance still current?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Is all of this still current, from 2008? I don't see an "application to register as a firearms dealer" form on the LSP site, but maybe I missed it.

Registering and building a short barrel rifle is much more fun than buying other NFA toys like a silencer or machine gun. Things generally move faster and you get to order parts and think about how you want to build this thing while you are waiting. Plus you can get the ball rolling with just a cheap stripped lower and spend additional money as you have it. Here is what you need to get started:

1) A lower receiver.
    2) Application To Register As Firearms Manufacturer
    3) Application To Register Firearm
    4) ATF Form 1
    5) Certification of Citizenship Form
    6) Set of Fingerprints
    7) $200 Check
    8) Chief Law Enforcement Officer who will sign your Form 1
    9) Engraving

OK, let's take it step by step.

1. The lower receiver can be stripped, complete, attached to a weapon, or not. It can be an AR-15 lower, AK47, FAL, Glock 17, or a BIC pen. If you can make it shoot a bullet and attach a stock to it you can call it a short bbl rifle and register it.

2. Application To Register As Firearms Manufacturer is a Louisiana State Police form you can get here: http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chDealerReg.pdf Submit the form in duplicate.

3. Application To Register Firearm is again from the Louisiana State Police and you can get it here: http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chFirearmReg.pdf Submit this form in duplicate, too. You can send both applications in the same envelope at the same time. The address is at the top of the form. You'll get it back approved in two weeks or so.

4. ATF Form 1 you can get here: http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f53201.pdf If you are savvy with computers you can copy-paste your photo in the square. Otherwise print the application out and tape your photo in the box on the back. This form must also be done in duplicate.

5. Certification of Citizenship Form you can get here: http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/pdfs/f533020.pdf This is widely considered to be the dumbest form in the history of the United States Government. It's also the easiest to fill out. Lines 1 & 2 is your name. Line 3 is United States. Skip to the bottom, sign and date. Submit in duplicate.

6. Set of fingerprints. Find a police station that has a nice digital fingerprint scanning machine. The State Police headquarters on Independence Blvd. has one and will do prints for $10. You need two duplicate cards.

7. $200 personal check made payable to Department of the Justice. They cash them very fast so make sure you have the money in the bank.

8. CLEO Signoff. You need your chief of police or sheriff to sign the back of the Form 1. If you live in East Baton Rouge this is no problem. Just drop the Form 1 off with the Sheriff's secretary and he'll sign it in a few weeks.

9. Engraving. Before you can finish your weapon and take it out shooting you'll need to get your name and city, state engraved somewhere on the lower. Orion Arms http://orion-arms.com/new/content/view/26/84/ has a good write up about possible locations. RequestDustOff (member on this board) can engrave your lower for you.

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    Also can someone point me to the statute/law/policy that says I have to engrave my SBR lower?

From this is seems like #9 is debatable also. I've seen "the law" interpreted different ways by different people.

Last edited:

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    So, I called EBR sheriff to see where to send my Form 1 CLEO notification and they have no idea... (talked to 2 different deputies on the main line) Short of me driving it up to the airport HQ building and just dropping it off, does anyone know where it should go, or to who's attn, other than just addressing it to Sid?

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    So, say, if I ever want to sell an SBR'd AR as a pistol again, do I just take the stock off of it and sell it as a non NFA weapon? I assume there is a form to submit to ATF that removes the NFA status? How does that work? I know it makes more sense to just keep the NFA lower, for the flexibility, I'm just curious about the logic of the whole process.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    So, I called EBR sheriff to see where to send my Form 1 CLEO notification and they have no idea... (talked to 2 different deputies on the main line) Short of me driving it up to the airport HQ building and just dropping it off, does anyone know where it should go, or to who's attn, other than just addressing it to Sid?

Straight from the ATF: "Prior to submission of the application to the Director, all applicants/transferees and responsible persons shall forward a completed copy of ATF Form 1 or ATF Form 4, or a completed copy of Form 5320.23, respectively, to the chief law enforcement officer of the locality in which the applicant or responsible person is located. The chief law enforcement officer is the local chief of police, county sheriff, head of the State police, State or local district attorney or prosecutor."

I'd simply send it certified to the EBR Sheriff's office, addressed to the Sheriff and keep a receipt. It'll probably end up in a trash can, but it doesn't sound like that's your problem at that point.

Top Bottom