Need some help guys

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    A good friend and shooting buddy is in need of some charity... anything you can give would be a great help!

As many of you know I have a special needs daughter. We were struggling with many behavior problems until we met behaviorist Julie Hickerson and her husband Rob. Thanks to Julie our lives have attained some semblance of normalcy! (Rob even recently included me in a fantastic sporting clays day... that was incredible if you haven't tried it! ). We owe them a lot...

Last month the happy couple had a baby. The baby was born with hyperinsulinism (sort of like diabetes but much worse- the body produces too much insulin and drops the blood sugar level too low), a heart condition, kidney issues, and is autistic. They're having to do feedings, meds, and blood work every 2 hours round the clock. Both have had to give up their jobs. Now they have to fly to a hospital in Phillidelphia for multiple surgeries. Looks like they'll be in a strange city for months... Health insurance and their savings just can't cover everything they need. Everyone around them is helping out but they need more than we can give.

There is now a go-fund-me set up. Anything you can give, even if its $5, would be a big help! Thanks for reading...

https://www.gofundme.com/emmettscure

(mods, prior approval per Austin)

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Are the surgeries expected to cure this or is he going to have to live with it forever like diabetics do?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Good question.
    They made it to Philly. They have to get the meds out of his system for a few days, then they do more testing, which will take another 5 or so days. Then they can come up with a course of action. They're also doing genetic testing on him as well as little Emmett.
    The most likely options are: 1. remove part of the pancreas, that solves the problem, and they come home! That's the one we're hoping for.
    2. They remove the entire pancreas. Not good. He goes through life with type 1 diabetes and is on an insulin pump for life.
    They also have a heart defect and enlarged kidneys to deal with. The heart will require surgery to remove a blockage as well drugs for stenosis...

They're going to be stuck in Philly for a while dealing with all of this. They still have a mortgage here... so whatever you can do to help would be appreciated!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Update from Julie (and it gives you a chance to appreciate her...)

We finally have some new updates!!!
    Parental genetic results came back this afternoon......drum roll........and the results show that Emmett did NOT inherit this gene mutation! It is a completely random genetic mutation or what is called a de novo mutation (first time seen in the family).
    We have decided that we will welcome our little mutant into the family although his super power of producing too much insulin does not seem very helpful..... We are taking suggestions for his X-Men name (Insulin Man is too obvious. Please try harder.). We will also consider making him wear glasses (without glass) to hide his secret identity should we decide he shouldn't wear a mask. Although Edna only specified no capes....
    What does all this mean?? Well, it decreases the chance that his form is focal, although it still could be. It also signs him up for the PET Scan tomorrow around noon. If you are curious I completely recommend watching the videos at www.chop.edu/conditions-diseases/congenital-hyperinsulinism. Very informative and you get to see them do a PET scan. Based on the results from the PET scan we will formulate a plan of action with his doctors.
    We are still hoping for a focal lesion so if y'all could cross your fingers, pray to your respective deities, or just send well wishes to the edge of the 'verse for us, we would appreciate it!!
    I will update you all as soon as we have any progress tomorrow but until then here is a picture of Rob swinging Emmett around!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Latest update:

Julie wrote: "I have tagged as many people as I can- please don't take it personally if I didn't tag you. :) Ok. Time for some updates. I apologize for the length of time between updates! We had the PET scan done on Thursday and Emmett was diagnosed with diffuse disease. This means that he cannot be cured of hyperinsulinism through surgery unless we took out a large percentage of his pancreas- close to 98%- and research is showing that if more than 90% of his pancreas is removed he is highly likely to develop type 1 diabetes. So as of right now, since he is showing more mild symptoms, we will attempt to treat medically and with dextrose. Since Thursday we have met with cardiology and determined that since the recovery downtime of his surgery is a maximum of 2 days that we are going to have the surgery here. We had the option of going home and doing the surgery but since the recovery time is so short we decided to stay here so the endocrine team here could run the rest of the fasting trials that Emmett will have to run for meds before we go home. We figure that since we are already at the best hospital for his hyperinsulinism we may as well get all his testing done with this team. Last night he completed a fasting study to determine how much D20 he needs to maintain his blood sugar above 70 if he isn't eating. This is important for us to know so that he can start sleeping through the night without being fed. He went up to 8.5 mls per hour before he maintained a good sugar level. He is scheduled to have surgery on Monday. They are going to move him up to a different floor to monitor his anethesia, do a catheter surgery for his heart, and then keep up on the different floor for a little bit to monitor him post surgery. Because he is so little we have to watch him to ensure that the catheter doesn't cause any disruptions in his veins to his feet. When he meets the time required to watch him, he will be moved back down to his room. Thankfully, we can move to whichever room he is in and hang out with him. Rob and I were accepted into the Ronald McDonald house yesterday which is relieving. It means that we will be able to sleep in a real bed again instead of a couch and a cot. It also gives us a quite a bit more space for our clothes, bathroom supplies, and a fridge for some food so we can save money on food and cook more. Last night the hospital held a cute get together the called Oct-rootbeer-fest. It was a little buffet with rootbeer on tap and some different apple ciders as well. It was fun and I have included pics of an adorable baby Emmett in his pumpkin gear! :) So, there is the new update!! We are in a holding pattern again for the weekend and will update you all on Monday after surgery!!"

photo.php

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Emmett's fasting study ended 3 hours early at 6:00am this morning because his sugar level dropped to a confirmed 52. I am pretty sure this means that he is diazoxide unresponsive and that the next step is trying octreotide.
    We also learned yesterday that most of our medical needed has a pretty big copay and we have to meet another out of pocket and deductable because we had to change insurance since Rob had to quit his job to stay home and take care of Emmett. Please keep sharing our GoFundMe page. Our current debt from his NICU stay is just over $8,000 and we don't have the bill for our last stay at Ochsner or our current stay here at CHOP. Any help is truly appreciated.
    As always- I will keep you all updated but here is a short video of Emmett chatting to his mobile to keep you enthralled until later today!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Latest update... they're home and doing ok.

I just realized I haven't made a post about Emmett's progress since we returned home! So here is the latest!
    With the help of his medicine, Emmett has successfully kept his pancreas at bay and his blood sugar above 70 since his discharge from CHOP. This is very exciting and gives us all a ton of hope!!
    Emmett had a follow-up appointment with his urologist who signed him up for a full day of testing on December 5th. He wants to make sure that everything is working the way it should and try to figure out why the are still swollen. Now that Emmett's heart issues have been taken care of and his blood sugars levels have been stable it is time to focus on his kidneys and determine what is going on with them!
    Emmett is still struggling to eat and we are so thankful that he has a G-tube so we can make sure he is getting enough calories throughout the day. One of his Mutant X superpowers is sleeping while he eats! It is super convenient and keeps him a much happier baby throughout the night! No more waking him up and trying to get him to eat. We just plug in the feeding tube, turn on the pump and he sleeps through his meal! It also makes for super easy medication delivery.... No fighting him to swallow his meds. Just put them directly into his tummy!! :)
    The cats and dogs love having him home. Jazmine watched him sleep when he is on the bed and checks in on him when he is in his swing or bouncy seat. I think if we put a dog bed in his bedroom, she would probably sleep in there to keep an eye on him. The cats check in on him once in a while, but mostly love sleeping in his empty spaces.....his bed, swing, bouncy seat, pack and play, bassinet, and even his bath seat....
    Speaking of baths....he LOVES his bath time now!! Instead of screaming and struggling the entire bath time he now splashes, smiles and chats through the entire bath!! I will add some tub time pics to this post for y'all to go crazy over!

They started a FB group with pics... seach The Continual Quests Of Emmett Ryan if you get a minute.

Top Bottom