1911 Advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • genghis35

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2017
    Gretna, LA
    Looking at picking up a 1911. I'm familiar with companies that most say are best - what I'm looking for is what brands people may like that you don't usually hear too much about. Not too worried about price - just what you like and why. (and what you really can't stand would be good, too.)

bigsampson

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Stick with Springfield armory, sig, Wilson, les Baer. They have high quality and will run out of the box. STI makes a good gun, may take a little tweaking to get it to run. Have heard the Remington 1911s are ok. Never messed with one. Don't touch a kimber. Used to be good, but their quality has taken a real dive over the past 10 years or so. You will prob end up w numerous trips back to the factory.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I'm sure there are some relatively small time smiths making custom guns out there, but guarantee you are going to pay big big money for them. For the common man price, it's hard to beat Springfield and Sig. I also have a Colt Competition that seems to be a well made gun.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I have some Wilson Combat guns, very nice, also very spendy. I was very impressed with a Springfield RO a friend of mine had for sale. He did some minor work on it, VERY happy with it. They make a good solid mid priced gun. Pretty good out of the box, also could be sent to a Smith for custom work.

Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    I have Springfield & Colts. Both are pretty good out of the box. Most could use some trigger work to lighten up the factory pull (mine are 3.5 to 4 lbs). One of the Colts also has an aftermarket barrel (can't remember the name) but honestly I don't fine it any more accurate than the stock one.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Volkmann precision, former Ed brown Smith turned one man shop. Service after the sale is great including some. Minor tweaks to fit my. Hand shape.

Dan Wessons are nice as well and seem to be less popular. Probably worth looking at current reviews.

Coyote5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Prairieville
    I bought a S&W 1911 about eight years back on a whim. I must say it has performed well and I would buy another. Most people think S&W = revolver, But their 1911's are good.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Current Dan wessons
    Older kimber
    Older colts
    Sig makes some great 1911's but CANT STAND EXTERNAL EXTRACTOR on a 1911 (lol)

You can tell when you pick them up, feel the slide, check tightness, how smooth the slide feels, quality metal parts not plastic msh, ect

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you're not worried about price, then I'd look at Ed Brown, Wilson Combat or a Nighthawk. I own a full-size Government model Ed Brown and it is an absolutely superb 1911 -- almost boringly accurate, absolutely reliable and a joy to hold. My next gun will either be a Nighthawk or Ed Brown 9mm 1911.

I know people **** endlessly about whether MIM (metal injection moulding) parts should or shouldn't be in guns ... but the parts in my Ed Brown are all milled from solid bar stock. It's a little thing, but when you hold it side-by-side to a mass-produced gun like a Kimber, there's really no comparison. Of course, the price tag reflects that ...

Mike

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Don't touch a kimber. Used to be good, but their quality has taken a real dive over the past 10 years or so. You will prob end up w numerous trips back to the factory.

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II that I bought about 5 years ago and have shot a little over 2000+ rounds not a single issue.

BarneyFife

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    North of BR
    I've had quite a few over the years. Mostly Colt and Springfield. Both were great with no issues, but the 1911 that I had that really stands out was my Dan Wesson. The fit and finish was really nice. No hickups with operation and just a really nice gun. I've never had any super high end brands to compare, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat......etc. I have read good things about the Ruger.

Last edited:

Sig66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2016
    NOLA Westbank
    +1 for Dan Wesson. I have a new A2, and it's great. Since price isn't an issue, I'd recommend you look into the DW Valor.

bigsampson

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II that I bought about 5 years ago and have shot a little over 2000+ rounds not a single issue.

You are one of the lucky ones. I have the exact gun with a similar experience. But, I know three gun store owners in Fl that used to carry Kimber. All of them stopped because two out of three guns had to go back to the factory for work. Lots of unhappy customers. All the big box stores are having similar problems. A quick google search will give you lots of info. People don't like paying semi custom prices for a paperweight. You used to see them in competition. Not any more. Cheap materials, lack of quality control. You pay 1000 for the name and 400 for the gun. Might as well buy a RIA.
    But, like you, I do have an ultra carry II that I took in trade that is a perfect carry gun.

Last edited:

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    I'm kinda bias to Springfield, since that's all i have owned. but for the money you're not going to get much better than Springfield. I would step up from the RO series and go with the TRP or Professional.
    I've had a Loaded model, it was a rental at Shooters club for years (no telling how many rounds have been shot through it, they retired it and I bought it and put about 8000 through it with not a single issue, sold it back to the range when money got tight and they put it back into the rental rotation.

Now, I have a Springfield TRP that has about 40,000+ rounds through it. The only issue was the tip of the extractor broke off in August of this year, sent it back to Springfield to replace the extractor and have it gone through since I had so many rounds down the pipe.

Springfield 9mm Target 1911- Had feeding and extraction issues out of the box, sent it in under warranty, got it back a month later. It's been 100% since with about 7000 rounds down the pipe.

Springfield EMP 9mm - Out of the box 100% flawless, eats any and all ammo.

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    You are one of the lucky ones. I have the exact gun with a similar experience. But, I know three gun store owners in Fl that used to carry Kimber. All of them stopped because two out of three guns had to go back to the factory for work. Lots of unhappy customers. All the big box stores are having similar problems. A quick google search will give you lots of info. People don't like paying semi custom prices for a paperweight. You used to see them in competition. Not any more. Cheap materials, lack of quality control. You pay 1000 for the name and 400 for the gun. Might as well buy a RIA.
    But, like you, I do have an ultra carry II that I took in trade that is a perfect carry gun.

I must be another lucky Kimber owner, loving my Pro Carry II. I heard about issues with Kimber in the recent past but have not met one Kimber owner who had any significant problem.

The question posted here, however, is which 1911 would we recommend for reliability, quality, etc., cost not being an issue. Obviously, the customs are favored above the production guns, but I think Dan Wessons are equal to many of the customs. For snob appeal, you can't go wrong with Ed Brown.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    Get a RIA 2011 and send it to a good smith and for $300 they will make it run

Or buy a Brazo's custom STI. They take the pistol and do some minor/major chamgrs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bigsampson

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I don't get the RIA thing. Spend 5 or 600 for the gun, then 300 or more getting it to run. In the end, you are out $800 to $1000 and you still have a RIA that has a crappy resale value. Buy a Springfield or Sig for $900 to $1000 and it will run, and will hold most of the resale value.
    If you want a truck gun, RIA is the way to go.
    The Brazos guns, I will second, little more spendy, but a good option.

shotgunjim

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 20, 2016
    Baton Rouge
    Having good luck with a 45 and 9mm sti spartan (economy version sti). Had bad luck with a new kimber and a new springfield both went back to factory within first week. No longer own either. Good luck. Have fun with 1911. jim

Top Bottom