1911 Advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I was just testing the waters of 1911s and got a ATI FX-45 it had a threaded barrel and mini rail on the front. Think I spent about $400 on it. I read a ton of reviews and the one thing they said was to get different mags for it so I bought 4 WC ETM mags. This gun may be Phillipine made but I must have got lucky because it will shoot whatever I put in it and cycles fine even with CCI shotshells for snake duty.

I know I know I am a bad person and irrespopnsible gun owner for not spending 1K+ on my 1911 but I was just hankering for a 1911 and didn't want to spend a bunch on a custom. I don't trust my life to it as a EDC gun but use it to shoot targets, snakes and the occasional terrorist milk jug. I do love shooting it as it seems to recoil way less than my M&P9 and I love the sound of it hitting the target when it is suppressed.

Turns out I love the 1911 frame and one day when I have gotten all of my itches scratched with my other guns I will probably get a better quality 1911 but for now I like the one I have.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I was just testing the waters of 1911s and got a ATI FX-45 it had a threaded barrel and mini rail on the front. Think I spent about $400 on it. I read a ton of reviews and the one thing they said was to get different mags for it so I bought 4 WC ETM mags. This gun may be Phillipine made but I must have got lucky because it will shoot whatever I put in it and cycles fine even with CCI shotshells for snake duty.

I know I know I am a bad person and irrespopnsible gun owner for not spending 1K+ on my 1911 but I was just hankering for a 1911 and didn't want to spend a bunch on a custom. I don't trust my life to it as a EDC gun but use it to shoot targets, snakes and the occasional terrorist milk jug. I do love shooting it as it seems to recoil way less than my M&P9 and I love the sound of it hitting the target when it is suppressed.

Turns out I love the 1911 frame and one day when I have gotten all of my itches scratched with my other guns I will probably get a better quality 1911 but for now I like the one I have.

Nothing wrong with that. My first 1911 was a $400 Taurus. I still regret having sold that gun; it wasn't pretty, but boy was it reliable.

Mike

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Have Colts, a Wilson and an STI.
    Choice really depends on your expectation and intended purpose.
    Wilson build quality is several notches above the regular 1911.
    The STICosta has been fun, no issues, no special tuning (and your almost insured to be the only guy at the range with a 2011).

whtlitnin

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Ventress, La.
    They do tend to multiply. Most of my Kimbers are older they work fine. Also have Colt, Springfield, S&W, STI, Ed Brown and Les Baer. Like them all!

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Have owned Springfield, Wilson, Wesson, and STI.

Actually had more issues with my Wilson than any of the others with feeding issues.

The Springield Loaded was my first. Great gun. Zero problems.

The Dan Wesson VBOB was a dream to shoot. Just had to be sent back to fix the thumb safety.

STI Trojan 9mm has been my favorite of all of the above. Not a single issue over 6000 rounds. Probably my favorite gun that I own.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Dan wesson.or if money is no object, there are several places that do classes for 1911 builds where you build your gun from the ground up over a couple days. You supply your components so quality is 100% on you.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I've owned a few couple of Springfields and a Ruger.... they were good guns, but I liked the Ruger a little better due to the plunger tube being an integral part of the frame and the lack of front slide serrations. I also thought the Ruger was fit a little better.

BO_V

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    Looking at picking up a 1911. I'm familiar with companies that most say are best - what I'm looking for is what brands people may like that you don't usually hear too much about. Not too worried about price - just what you like and why. (and what you really can't stand would be good, too.)
    I own a 1911 Springfield Armory in 45ACP.
    I did a lot of modifications to it but never had any problems with it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

moe24

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Stick with Springfield armory, sig, Wilson, les Baer. They have high quality and will run out of the box. STI makes a good gun, may take a little tweaking to get it to run. Have heard the Remington 1911s are ok. Never messed with one. Don't touch a kimber. Used to be good, but their quality has taken a real dive over the past 10 years or so. You will prob end up w numerous trips back to the factory.
    What about the Ruger sr1911 line?what do u think of those?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Top Bottom