Pig hunting in Louisiana?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • babrod

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    Plaquemine, Louisiana
    Anyone know a good place to pig hunt in Louisiana? I don't mind paying an outfitter if anyone has a good suggestion. I'm trying to avoid driving all the way to Texas. I don't own a boat or 4 wheeler. Thanks in advance.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Pearl River WMA. 35,000 acres of hogs. Old Highway 11 allows walking access. Just need your Basic Hunting license and the WMA Hunting license for a total of roughly $30.

2017-2018 Pearl River WMA (rough weapon schedule):
    Oct 7 - Feb 28: bow season hog, deer, etc... also the following firearms schedule...
    Oct 7 - Nov 3: small game (that means rimfire for hogs).
    Nov 4-5: youth only (no adult hunting)
    Nov 6-10: small game.
    Nov 11-17: primitive firearm
    Nov 18-23: small game
    Nov 24-26: any firearm
    Nov 27 - Dec 1: small game
    Dec 2 -17: any firearm
    Dec 18-31: primitive
    Jan 1 - Feb 28: small game and dogs allowed

Big Branch WMR in Lacombe is also a nice place to get hogs, but it's bow only. Probably not a bad choice with a tree climber and a bow. No fee for Big Branch but you have to sign a permit (free on their website).

buckedup

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Tylertown Ms.
    Pearl river is ok and I have taken a few there with the 22 mag. Better though is Richard k yancey wma. Easier access and seemingly more pigs. I have taken plenty there. Sherbune hunters report a few but I have never hunted them there.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    Highway 11 is the main road that you turn off of to get to the range. If you don't turn left to go to the range and keep going straight you will run into the Pearl River where there is an old bridge.

brysonandrus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2018
    US
    I have been scouting sherburne coming from the whiskey Bay exit Looking for hogs. I have managed to get one. Is there a certain area where they are more abundant? Any info would be great. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I have been scouting sherburne coming from the whiskey Bay exit Looking for hogs. I have managed to get one. Is there a certain area where they are more abundant? Any info would be great. Thanks

You might want to check the legality of firearms at Sherburne at this time of year. I'm guessing the Turkey season is open for shotguns

Old School

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    DTR
    There is a guy in Venice that does pig hunts with an air boat. Kingdom Charters is his company

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Is there a season on WMA for hogs, I was under the impression, that there was NO restrictions to hog hunting..

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    WMA have restricted seasons and weapons use for Hogs unlike private land. Check the Louisiana hunting regulations before going on any WMA as they are all a little different.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I have not hunting public in last 8 years, I sent an email to Hammond office to determine access for hogs in pearl river.
    I am curious myself..

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    WMA have restricted seasons and weapons use for Hogs unlike private land. Check the Louisiana hunting regulations before going on any WMA as they are all a little different.

I would tend to agree, but I looked it up, and the only thing I see is that it is dependent on the WMA you are on. Other than that, they are legal year round.

FERAL HOGS

Feral hogs may be taken during any legalhunting season on WMAs by properlylicensed and/or permitted hunters bearing alicense and gear legal for specified seasonsin progress, EXCEPT take of hogs is prohibitedduring nighttime raccoon seasons.Hogs may not be taken with the aid of dogs,EXCEPT feral hogs may be taken with the aidof dogs during the month of February onAttakapas, Bodcau, Clear Creek, Little River,Pearl River, Sabine, Sabine Island, West Bay,and that portion of Dewey W. Wills north ofthe Catahoula Lake Diversion Canal by selfclearingpermit. All hogs must be killedimmediately and may not be transportedlive under any conditions, and hunters mayuse centerfire pistols in addition to usingguns allowed for season in progress. In addition,feral hogs may be taken on AtchafalayaDelta, Pass-a-Loutre, Pointe-aux-Chenesand Salvador/Timken WMAs from Feb. 16 -March 31 with archery gear, shotguns loadedwith buckshot or slugs or rimfire rifles nolarger than .22 caliber. Additional requirementsmay be specified under individualWMAs

Outlaw quadrupeds and birds may be taken during any legal hunting season on WMAs byproperly licensed and/or permitted hunters bearing a license and gear legal for specifiedseasons in progress. See page 43 for seasons and regulations pertaining to crows, blackbirds,grackles and cowbirds.

As an example for Fort Polk - Vernon

Feral Hogs: May be taken by properly licensed hunters from Sept. 16 - Jan. 1. Hunters mayhunt feral hogs with shotguns loaded with buckshot or slugs from Jan. 2 - Feb. 28. Huntersmust display 400 square inches of *hunter orange* or *blaze pink* and wear a *hunterorange* or *blaze pink* cap during special shotgun season for feral hogs.

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I would tend to agree, but I looked it up, and the only thing I see is that it is dependent on the WMA you are on. Other than that, they are legal year round.

As an example for Fort Polk - Vernon
    Pearl river exclusively, they only allow hunting hogs while in pursuit of other game during normal seasons.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I know. I sent and received email from hammond office today about it
    71b468255fba3a5a3d0c3275be59a65e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Again, get on LDWF site and look up hunting regulations. Each specific WMA is listed with seasons. You may only take hogs during another open season and only with the weapon open for that game. Example if it's squirrel and rabbits only then a .22mag or shotgun loaded with shot only no slugs or buck shot. Only during open rifle season for deer may you use a rifle larger than .22mag

Last edited:

brysonandrus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2018
    US
    You might want to check the legality of firearms at Sherburne at this time of year. I'm guessing the Turkey season is open for shotguns
    Turkey is closed. Squirrel will open soon. I know the rules. Just looking for a spot where they are more concentrated

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom