Thinking about a trade

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The ccw class I recently took has me thinking. The instructor made the valid point about the benefits of having different sized guns on the same platform (he had 3 differnt sized glocks- I'm not a glock fan but... it has me thinking).

I'm currently running a keltec 32, 380, shield 9mm w/ safety, S&W 469, and 1911. Every one is different. Different setups. Safety up, safety down, no safety. Different calibers. single action. striker fired, da/sa. All over the place.

I'm considering selling the 1911 ( !!! ) to buy a M&P2 full sized 9mm setup... more mag capacity, consolidate my ammo to 9mm (plus ammo is cheaper). It seems that the 2nd gen m&p has a decent trigger. The gun is lighter (not sure about fully loaded how they compare ).

On the down side, its plastic and lacks character. Its not a 1911. I'd miss the 1911 trigger.

Thoughts.... somebody talk me into this... or out of it!

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    I tend to stick with the carry the same gun in the same place and train that way.

Nothing wrong with variety. But I don't want to have to think about which gun I'm carrying or where it's at when I need it.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The ccw class I recently took has me thinking. The instructor made the valid point about the benefits of having different sized guns on the same platform (he had 3 differnt sized glocks- I'm not a glock fan but... it has me thinking).

I'm currently running a keltec 32, 380, shield 9mm w/ safety, S&W 469, and 1911. Every one is different. Different setups. Safety up, safety down, no safety. Different calibers. single action. striker fired, da/sa. All over the place.

I'm considering selling the 1911 ( !!! ) to buy a M&P2 full sized 9mm setup... more mag capacity, consolidate my ammo to 9mm (plus ammo is cheaper). It seems that the 2nd gen m&p has a decent trigger. The gun is lighter (not sure about fully loaded how they compare ).

On the down side, its plastic and lacks character. Its not a 1911. I'd miss the 1911 trigger.

Thoughts.... somebody talk me into this... or out of it!

I carry a Glock as a duty weapon. I've been training with it for years. I wanted a small shtf backup weapon that was easily concealed. I settled on a .380 and went with a Ruger LCP. It didn't take me long before training with it taught me I couldn't rely on it. There was nothing wrong with the weapon itself. It was just too "Not a glock". Specifically, the trigger reset was way different that what I had been training with. I picked up a Glock 42. I was able to better train with it without having to think about shooting it. So as far as a carry gun, I would say they should be pretty similar. They can be different sizes depending on the season and how big/bulky your clothes are that day. But you should be able to clear leather and concentrate on the threat rather than the tool in your hand. Manipulating the weapon should become second nature.

And remember, metal and character does not stop a threat.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Get a 1911 in 9mm? :)

I do agree with function of carry guns being the same... KISS.

And remember, metal and character does not stop a threat.
    But if you do stop it with metal and character, I hear you get bonus points.

cricht0n

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Zachary
    Just because you want to carry the same platform of gun for training sake, doesn't mean you can't keep the 1911 to have a fun range gun.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    If you want a metal frame 9mm with a nice trigger and a higher cap than a 1911...look at a CZ 75 compact or a variant of and get some custom action work done. You will be amazed at what you get vs what you spend.

If you still want a higher cap and a nice trigger but less weight check out the CZ P07 or the P10c.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Just because you want to carry the same platform of gun for training sake, doesn't mean you can't keep the 1911 to have a fun range gun.

Financially it does... :) dropping a grand on a new pistol, holser, mags, etc. just isn't in the budget right now, I've got a new truck to pay for first.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If you want a metal frame 9mm with a nice trigger and a higher cap than a 1911...look at a CZ 75 compact or a variant of and get some custom action work done. You will be amazed at what you get vs what you spend.

If you still want a higher cap and a nice trigger but less weight check out the CZ P07 or the P10c.

I would wait on a CZ P10C until CZ gets the bugs out. Firing pin turning rendering the pistol unable to fire due to slide not going into battery.
    CZ is working on a fix.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I think that ultimately safety is worth more than having a nice 1911 range toy. Also, as you mentioned, the 9mm rounds will save you money in the long run as well.

Regarding the M&P 2.0 - I believe it is one of the best, if not the best, carry guns currently designed. I certainly won't say Glocks are a bad platform, but I just think the M&P line is slightly better.

I like the trigger on the new 2.0 and the 17+1 mag capacity is very good. I personally carry the M&P 9c or a M&P Shield, depending on the situation. I will likely be moving towards the new 2.0 line and a full sized to replace the 9c (as I already carry the 9c with an extended mag).

As for needing three guns on the same platform, well that differs per person. A full sized weapon is going to be difficult to conceal in gym shorts and a t-shirt and a smaller gun would be better.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    The only guns with a safety, I have carried, were SA/DA and had PPK/M9/3rd gen S&W style safeties, only because that was what I was used to, and I could operate without thinking about it. 1911 style safeties were fine on range guns.

Now I normally carry an XD 40 sub-compact. I had to have one of $250 nine mm Shield deals, and I picked up a P10C. None have safeties, and they all point and operate the same. The biggest difference is the XD & Shield have 6 lb trigger pulls and the P10C is 4.5 lbs. As more gear and accessories become available, the P10 may replace the XD. Right now I'm well set up on the XD for carry, training, and the range.

I suggest only carrying what you can run quickly, without thinking about the safety.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I have made an effort over the last 5 years to consolidate calibers in my hand guns and rifles. Owning every handgun by a specific manufacture or in a specific caliber has never appealed to me. Say having a Glock 26 , 19, 17 just doesn’t work for me. I love the 19 but don’t like the 17. So I find I have singled out the models I prefer from each manufacturer keeping the calibers limited to what I stock.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Sell the 2 keltecs and get a kahr cw380 or p380. Ditch 32acp completely. The 380 kahr is a great small 380, much smaller than the glock 42, which is the other good 380.

The smith 469 should be similar size to the shield, maybe bigger? I have a 6904, which i am pretty sure is the same gun, 3rd gen instead of 2nd gen. A compact m&p or glock 19 or walther ppq would be a better choice. They will shoot much nicer...

Tanker

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2015
    Metairie, Louisana
    IMHO: most of us tend to overthink carry options. I read an article from one of the NRA magazines and thought "why are they making carry a brain surgery ordeal"? I then realized I've done the same for many years. This caliber, that caliber, this manufacturer, that manufacturer, etc., etc. It can be this simple: (1) Find what YOU like to shoot (2) Ensure it's the size that suits YOU (3) Almost any caliber will work depending on what YOU expect to achieve from your carry weapon (4) Practice with your carry. If it doesn't suit YOU, get a different pistol (5) Semi-auto or wheel gun? What fits YOUR carry expectations? Pick accordingly.
    I've read plenty of the arguments for and against whatever when it comes to a carry weapon. I decided to forget all that crap and go with items 1 through 5 above as my selection criteria. My current carry is a S&W Shield 9mm. Why? I've got big hands and needed something that I could grasp without endangering others or myself. I think the Shield is more than accurate enough for my carry expectations. Why 9mm? I think .40 is dying and becoming a useless niche and I think .45 in a carry is overkill. These are my opinions and only my opinions. I wouldn't tell anyone what they should carry. If I decide to change my carry, I think the next one will be a wheel gun .38 Special.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Way back in the day I carried a 1911. I can tell ya carried cocked and lock scares the crab out of people
    Then stopped as i grabbed a 3rd Gen S&W in SS. When 3rd gen were new.
    I worked at a Bar and did maintenance / heavy janitorial so mopped and stripped floors etc.
    I went in while open and after close.
    Was even in the bar when it was shot up 2 different times.
    1st time it was over before I knew it 2nd i jumped to safety and they drove away.
    No fire-fight form me.
    Cops grabbed them both times after the call was made.
    In today's world, I would be looking for the gun that fits "ME" well and is light.
    Back then there was no light option.
    My wife still likes metal guns and I found a like new just test fired S&W 3913
    Nice and slim single stack she is comfortable with is better than one she is not. To me size is 100% for who it is for, But you already knew that
    Now that I rambled, That new 2.0 sure looks sweet! As well as the smaller VP9SK

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I really want one of these. As I have the all black full size. Great sights and trigger so have to thing it is the same
    The only way I could get away with getting one is.......... tell her it is for her and borrow it.

Attachments

• VP9.jpg
      VP9.jpg
      50.5 KB · Views: 85
    Last edited:

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    I really want one of these. As I have the all black full size. Great sights and trigger so have to thing it is the same
    The only way I could get away with getting one is.......... tell her it is for her and borrow it.

That is a good looking one
    Wingate

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

The VP9 SK is a sweet shooting pistol.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My main competition gun is an otherwise bone-stock full size M&P 9mm with the Apex trigger kit. For whatever reason that gun just fits my hand, and on most days I'm a surgeon with it. And if I ever had to go into battle where my life was on the line, that's the gun I'd take before any other.

That said, purgatory would freeze over before I part with my 1911. She takes a little more love and care, but nothing can compare to that crisp trigger.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom