Upcoming Changes - Newsletter, etc

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

puritanize

Administrator
    Admin
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    Sanger, Texas
    Hello all..

Wanted to post about a couple of changes coming up. With the downturn in some parts of the gun world, these things may help long term.

1) Newsletter coming. For folks coming to the site you may not want it, simply unsubscribe at the bottom if you do not. It will consist of the more popular threads on the site.

2) based on experiences from many other forum owners, we need to switch to 10 posts per page. Sorry, it could be vital to helping the site index better on Google and such. I am not in the in on knowing exactly how, this was some feedback given to me from a beneficial meeting about stuff like this.

Thanks and please let me know if you have any questions or site suggestions! Looking to improve the classified section, any feedback would be great!
    Kevin

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I will only say this once and not beat the dead horse:

Allowing replies in the classified section would be a improvement.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

1) It keeps a log in the public on who wanted it 1st. I have in the past told someone that the item just sold. Once that member saw that the feedback was from someone I delt with before he messaged me saying he felt I skipped him to deal with my *buddy* instead.

2) In the past I’ve had members point out something about my item that I didn’t know and it helped the item sell faster.

3) It keeps a log in the public eye of offers made and that is a great tool to help others when pricing like items.

4) More activity in the classifieds = more traffic. I feel that’s why the off topic section stays active because there’s more chit chat. When you ask how to clean a gun once it’s answered there’s not much more to say and people move on.

There’s more reasons that I feel it was better but it’s not up to me it’s up to you guys.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

What benefits came from turning them off?

I know I've personally asked people questions regarding their product through PM. Most replied, some don't seem to be cared to be bothered. Allowing the question to be public will help ensure a healthy interaction between the seller and the potential buyer. And the answer might be something someone else may want to know. Or it might help the seller realize that $700 is too much to ask for the $600 item and they should refrain from bumping their post 37 times. (See below for a few recent examples of items people don't seem to want but that the sellers doesn't seem to get it.) It seems that most of the "new" posts do not contain anything new. Checking now shows 62.5% (5 out of 8) of the new classified posts to be for old posts. They are simply people bugging the general population to look at their stuff. With proper feedback and a healthy discussion, this could be reduced. Personally, if there's an item I'm interested in based on the title and the reply count is not 0 or 1 with "reduced" in the title, I don't even bother looking at it. It's likely to just be the same thing I've seen at the same price with nothing new.

79 bumps since September (2016)
    24 bumps since February
    19 bumps since April
    16 bumps since April
    15 bumps since May
    16 bumps since June
    21 bumps since June
    13 bumps since June
    30 bumps since July
    25 bumps since July
    14 bumps since August
    29 bumps since August
    12 bumps since August
    24 bumps since August
    15 bumps since August
    12 bumps since August
    13 bumps since September
    14 bumps since September
    11 bumps since October

Marlin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2015
    Baton Rouge
    I agree, I wish you could reply to ads, but I still think people will abuse it. And who's to stop a 'buddy' from replying just to bump it back up top?
    On a side note I would like to sign up for the newsletter, just let me know how.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Not to mention most of the interactions were funny as hell! Austin, can you do a section of classifieds w/ comments and one with out? That way you can decide when you post your item for sale whether you want to risk getting crucified? :) OTOH, you get more exposure with comments.

Looking forward to the newsletter

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    What benefits came from turning them off?

I know I've personally asked people questions regarding their product through PM. Most replied, some don't seem to be cared to be bothered. Allowing the question to be public will help ensure a healthy interaction between the seller and the potential buyer. And the answer might be something someone else may want to know. Or it might help the seller realize that $700 is too much to ask for the $600 item and they should refrain from bumping their post 37 times. (See below for a few recent examples of items people don't seem to want but that the sellers doesn't seem to get it.) It seems that most of the "new" posts do not contain anything new. Checking now shows 62.5% (5 out of 8) of the new classified posts to be for old posts. They are simply people bugging the general population to look at their stuff. With proper feedback and a healthy discussion, this could be reduced. Personally, if there's an item I'm interested in based on the title and the reply count is not 0 or 1 with "reduced" in the title, I don't even bother looking at it. It's likely to just be the same thing I've seen at the same price with nothing new.

79 bumps since September (2016)
    24 bumps since February
    19 bumps since April
    16 bumps since April
    15 bumps since May
    16 bumps since June
    21 bumps since June
    13 bumps since June
    30 bumps since July
    25 bumps since July
    14 bumps since August
    29 bumps since August
    12 bumps since August
    24 bumps since August
    15 bumps since August
    12 bumps since August
    13 bumps since September
    14 bumps since September
    11 bumps since October

Bumping should be only be allowed after a certain amount of time *I like once a week*. But I see nothing wrong with bumping a ad. To me it shows the item is still available and we do get new members everyday so just something doesn’t sell today doesn’t prove it won’t sell in a month.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Bumping should be only be allowed after a certain amount of time *I like once a week*. But I see nothing wrong with bumping a ad. To me it shows the item is still available and we do get new members everyday so just something doesn’t sell today doesn’t prove it won’t sell in a month.

Yes, an item may sell the day you post the ad. Or the day you first bump the ad. Or the day you bump the ad a second time. Or the third time. If there was a guarantee that an item would or would not sell on a specific day or after a specific number of bumps, this discussion wouldn't be happening. One of the problems is some people are out of touch with reality. Just because you (generic you, not you specifically) believe this upper is worth $700 does not make the value of the upper $700. There are people who are selling used items for at or above retail. If an item is "like new", it is used. If someone's going to pay full price from it, it's not reasonable for them to buy it next to a Walmart outside the automotive section. There would, in general, be fewer hassles if the customer can go through the retail outlet in case there's an issue. Then there's the people who believe that this scope was made in heaven specifically for this specific rifle and they will but in the firey pits of hell if they aren't kept together. Well that scope that is adding $200 to the rifle is useless to me. So you can either have a scope and some of the money you're asking for or you can have the scope and rifle you don't want and no money. And the last group of out of touch people (last that I can think of at 9:30pm) are the ones that believe if they just bump their ad one more time at the same price, the perfect buyer will see it and snatch it up so they bump it up day after day.

In general, there's nothing wrong with bumping an ad as long as people stop abusing it. Once a day is, in my humble opinion, ridiculous. Once a week is more reasonable. And bumps with no price drops are not likely to result in a sale.

To bring it back on point with this discussion, allowing people to comment would help solve some of those issues. If you're in the market for a rifle and I see that you don't want a scope in an ad, I may make an offer on that scope and the seller would be able to sell both things. If an item is being sold for more than it's worth, you would be able to publically make an offer and explain why the offer is reasonable and not a low ball offer. Because it's public, the seller has more incentive to adjust his price more toward used market value instead of ignoring your offer and bumping the ad day after day and hoping for the perfect customer.

Sorry for the rambling reply...my "play well with others" medicine must be wearing off.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yes, an item may sell the day you post the ad. Or the day you first bump the ad. Or the day you bump the ad a second time. Or the third time. If there was a guarantee that an item would or would not sell on a specific day or after a specific number of bumps, this discussion wouldn't be happening. One of the problems is some people are out of touch with reality. Just because you (generic you, not you specifically) believe this upper is worth $700 does not make the value of the upper $700. There are people who are selling used items for at or above retail. If an item is "like new", it is used. If someone's going to pay full price from it, it's not reasonable for them to buy it next to a Walmart outside the automotive section. There would, in general, be fewer hassles if the customer can go through the retail outlet in case there's an issue. Then there's the people who believe that this scope was made in heaven specifically for this specific rifle and they will but in the firey pits of hell if they aren't kept together. Well that scope that is adding $200 to the rifle is useless to me. So you can either have a scope and some of the money you're asking for or you can have the scope and rifle you don't want and no money. And the last group of out of touch people (last that I can think of at 9:30pm) are the ones that believe if they just bump their ad one more time at the same price, the perfect buyer will see it and snatch it up so they bump it up day after day.

In general, there's nothing wrong with bumping an ad as long as people stop abusing it. Once a day is, in my humble opinion, ridiculous. Once a week is more reasonable. And bumps with no price drops are not likely to result in a sale.

To bring it back on point with this discussion, allowing people to comment would help solve some of those issues. If you're in the market for a rifle and I see that you don't want a scope in an ad, I may make an offer on that scope and the seller would be able to sell both things. If an item is being sold for more than it's worth, you would be able to publically make an offer and explain why the offer is reasonable and not a low ball offer. Because it's public, the seller has more incentive to adjust his price more toward used market value instead of ignoring your offer and bumping the ad day after day and hoping for the perfect customer.

Sorry for the rambling reply...my "play well with others" medicine must be wearing off.

All very valid points.

I would love to have it where people can respond to ads...but people are jerks. So we could allow it and add a bunch of time to moderating ads (an option), or not allow it and maintain the current system. One consideration is that a lot of people jump on here and click the "New Posts" button and then look at the first 1 to 3 pages of new posts (posts since their last visit). Bumping daily allows it to be in there which facilitates impulse buys. Weekly bumping means someone has to go into the section to look for something. That being said, without conducting any statistical measures, it seems that many of the purchases procured through BayouShooter are impulse buys as opposed to people looking for a certain item.

Allowing responses will also constantly push items down to the bottom of the list, which will make it harder for some members / some types of items to generate the exposure that they get now.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    All very valid points.

I would love to have it where people can respond to ads...but people are jerks. So we could allow it and add a bunch of time to moderating ads (an option), or not allow it and maintain the current system. One consideration is that a lot of people jump on here and click the "New Posts" button and then look at the first 1 to 3 pages of new posts (posts since their last visit). Bumping daily allows it to be in there which facilitates impulse buys. Weekly bumping means someone has to go into the section to look for something. That being said, without conducting any statistical measures, it seems that many of the purchases procured through BayouShooter are impulse buys as opposed to people looking for a certain item.

Allowing responses will also constantly push items down to the bottom of the list, which will make it harder for some members / some types of items to generate the exposure that they get now.

Is it possible to not have replies in those areas show up as "new posts"? People can subscribe to the thread manually or simply by replying in that thread. A link to subscribed threads can be added to the menu bar near the "new posts" link. That way people can follow the threads they are interested in and the daily bumps won't take up the majority of the "new" ads. The person coming here after a while could go the the individual forums to see the ads. The bumped ones would show up at the top as they do now.

https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/subscription.php

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

For me if a see a item priced over retail OR way more than I wanna pay I don’t even waste time with making a offer and I just move on. It doesn’t cause me harm if you post an ad asking $1000.00 for a stock Glock and bump it once a day.

Comments in ads should only be made if you have a interst or if you can add valuable info about the item that the seller may not know. I also liked when you would be selling package deal and people could say I’d take that “red dot for X amount” is someone else wants the “gun for X amount”.

puritanize

Administrator
    Admin
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    Sanger, Texas
    My biggest concern to replies was work on the mods... People do tend to dump on ads however that normally lessens once a few get busted doing it.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    My biggest concern to replies was work on the mods... People do tend to dump on ads however that normally lessens once a few get busted doing it.

Unfortunately mods will have more work when you want a forum to have more traffic. Cycling out mods may be the best way to keep them from being over worked.

Tanker

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2015
    Metairie, Louisana
    I think allowing replies on sales isn't a good idea. I know if I post something for sale and someone has the public opportunity to criticize, critique, offer jerk commentary, etc., my days of attempting to sell on here will quickly end and I'll probably drop out for good. I know of no other forum (I'm a member in 6 I think) that allows this. It comes down to this: if you don't like the price, seller, or item - don't buy the item(s) or read the post. If you feel the overwhelming urge to interfere in others business, then PM them.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I know if I post something for sale and someone has the public opportunity to criticize, critique, offer jerk commentary, etc., my days of attempting to sell on here will quickly end and I'll probably drop out for good. I know of no other forum (I'm a member in 6 I think) that allows this.

I do. And it's a pretty big one. It's a site that's dedicated to the "ar15". Most of the replies are "I'll take the <whatever>" or "PM sent" or "is it still available?" The people replying seem to be well behaved. It would not surprise me if the mods keep the jerks in line.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom