Denied Louisiana concealed carry license

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    The state has the information in their database. Every state agency/court has offenders they house in their database. Nics has access to all these databases. Louisiana under Jindal just created a new database to house information for nics. How is this the states fault?

My point is that the job NICS is supposed to do requires more manpower and hours than they can dedicate to the job. States are more familiar with what happens within their borders than the feds.

Texas a shall issue state denied the shooter a permit, but Nics proceeded the transaction. His crimes were supposed to be lifetime bans for a Federal DV conviction.

Many states set up points of contact as a go between for nics. I assume because they know of it's short comings. Nics has a problem with out dated, incorrect or unentered data.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    if the state has the info "in their database" then why do we pay so much and submit so much info?
    louisiana goes out of their way to make obtaining a permit difficult and expensive.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    if the state has the info "in their database" then why do we pay so much and submit so much info?
    louisiana goes out of their way to make obtaining a permit difficult and expensive.

The state does NOT know the “outcome” of most arrest. There are many parishes/counties that only have those records on paper file and has to be manually pulled.

A Louisiana CHP comes out less than $5.00 a month with state fees and training I don’t find that really expensive.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    The state does NOT know the *outcome* of most arrest. There are many parishes/counties that only have those records on paper file and has to be manually pulled.

A Louisiana CHP comes out less than $5.00 a month with state fees and training I don’t find that really expensive.

for those living paycheck to paycheck $210 is almost a full payday. my tn was $40 iirc, wa was $80, florida was $125.

lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    I found this thread today and read the first 5-6 pages then skipped to the end. I did not see if any mention of when applying
    for a Renewal, that you have to re-submitt the same disposition paperwork as you did when applied for the previous granted CHP. Or does it suffice to list the infraction and your record already has the documentation?

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    You can give them a call at LSP to find out for sure. I would say at minimum resubmit every thing, and at max get a new copy for resubmission.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Twic card might be one issue ur having

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    TWIC is not the issue . I had my TWIC for several years before getting my CHP . Mine came in record time . Less than two weeks start to finish . and I have never been denied a background check either .

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    TWIC is not the issue . I had my TWIC for several years before getting my CHP . Mine came in record time . Less than two weeks start to finish . and I have never been denied a background check either .
    Of course Twic wasn't the problem OP didn't follow the instructions for application submission. Particularly I think he skipped the part about listing prior arrests.

Old School

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    DTR
    I just read this whole thread and have a question. If you go to LSP and pay for a background/ Rap sheet check, it won’t show arrest in other states or it will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    I just read this whole thread and have a question. If you go to LSP and pay for a background/ Rap sheet check, it won’t show arrest in other states or it will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may or may not. Even if it does that will not suffice for a CHP. The requirement is official documentation of the outcome from the court where you were tried. Something stating you were on probation, Parole, Null Prosqe etc.

Last edited:

kchunts

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2016
    Houma, La.
    Go to the LSP web site. There is a fifty page rule book that has all the data in it. I lost mine for not reporting an arrest within fourteen days. Charges were dropped. The DA's office told me that "if they want your permit, they will send a letter asking for it". BULL!! The burden is on the permit holder and if you don't read the booklet, you will never know the rules the LSP is using. I appealed their initial ruling because I was following what the DA's office told me. I even had a letter from the DA stating what the status of the charges were and what the outcome of the case was and they still denied it, took my money, and advised it was because I didn't "report the arrest and return my CCW ID card within the proper time frame". I could reapply the following year for another permit. Of course, for additional carry class, permit, notary, and fingerprint fees.The instructors do not go into the rules. You, as an applicant, have to get the booklet and see what LSP requires. Unfortunately, your local law enforcement, Concealed Carry instructors, DA, and attorneys can not direct you properly. My attorney is also a state representative and he was shocked to learn that my permit had been suspended and revoked. I received the suspension and revocation letters the same day, with the same dates on the letterhead.

Good luck. I will be trying to get my cwp back this fall, After I go completely through the rule book and make a few calls to LSP's office to make sure I have not missed ANYTHING.

Last edited:

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    That is in the rule book. Report that you have been arrested within the alloted time frame or they will revoke the permit. Not to mention that they go over it in the legal part of the class.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    That is in the rule book. Report that you have been arrested within the alloted time frame or they will revoke the permit. Not to mention that they go over it in the legal part of the class.

This.

silvestris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2015
    Vidalia, LA
    A client was having a problem because of an arrest for wife beating. She came to court and admitted that she was lying. The court minutes noted a continuance. There were no further proceedings. I had to go to the DA and get a letter that he was good to go. I personally delivered it to LSP and in less than a week he called to report that he had received his permit. It is important to follow all of the LSP rules.

SRob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2020
    La.
    Hello, this is my first post. I was recently denied a CHP. I was booked nearly 20 years ago (simple assault) and I was not charged. I assumed no charges were filed as I did not go to court. Before submitted my application, I sought information from the local police chief who contacted the clerk of court. He advised there was not a record of an arrest. I personally went to the clerk of court to inquire of the prior incident and was provided the same information as the police provided me. I subsequently selected "NO" on the application because of the information that was provided to me. Is there any thing that I can do to resolve this matter? Thanks...

- - - Updated - - -

Hello, this is my first post. I was recently denied a CHP. I was booked nearly 20 years ago (simple assault) and I was not charged. I assumed no charges were filed as I did not go to court. Before submitted my application, I sought information from the local police chief who contacted the clerk of court. He advised there was not a record of an arrest. I personally went to the clerk of court to inquire of the prior incident and was provided the same information as the police provided me. I subsequently selected "NO" on the application because of the information that was provided to me. Is there any thing that I can do to resolve this matter? Thanks...

Top Bottom