Denied Louisiana concealed carry license

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    Babrod,

Can you give us an update? Have you received the letter from LSP? Have you talked to them about remedial action?
    Remedial action : wait a year, reapply listing all arrests, provide dispositions to said arrests, and for good measure answer yes if there is a question about having been denied a permit at any time in the state of Louisiana.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    No I don’t agree.

If you just add the same questions from the 4473 and run *John* though NCICs then I’d be happy. Why make the process to CC a gun harder then buying the gun??

My reply only applies if constitutional carry isn’t a option.

Does LSP have direct access to NICS? Or do they have to go through the FBI? Is the scope of NICS limited? I.e., can NICS be used for check other than for gun purchases?

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Does LSP have direct access to NICS? Or do they have to go through the FBI? Is the scope of NICS limited? I.e., can NICS be used for check other than for gun purchases?

I don’t think they have current access. But I *think* it *could* be done. I think the CHP process could be streamlined. But it is what it is and given the current system the folks at LSP are doing a fine job.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Remedial action : wait a year, reapply listing all arrests, provide dispositions to said arrests, and for good measure answer yes if there is a question about having been denied a permit at any time in the state of Louisiana. Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I know that's what the rule books says. I was hoping to hear from the OP directly to learn whether there was any remedial action less severe than that offered to him.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Just to make sure I understand what you're saying. Many places accept what you've listed on the application without verifying it?

no. you give them the money, fill out the personal information form, and they run a nics on you. if the fbi says you are eligible to own a firearm, why should a state say otherwise?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    no. you give them the money, fill out the personal information form, and they run a nics on you. if the fbi says you are eligible to own a firearm, why should a state say otherwise?

NICS is a federal database. Do the restriction on its use still allow the state to use it for a background check for purposes other than buying a firearm?

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    That was my whole point.It is sooo much easier to deal with ccw in most every other state.

It couldn't be, in La. its just about the money,no wayyyyy.And it couldn't be they could care
    less weather you get a ccw or not,no wayyyyyyy.

I'm guessing that is why Ive seen many many people have more than 7-12 dwi"s. Say it isn't
    soooo,no wayyy in La

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    The FBI does not always have the last say. What if the FBI says you are good to go, but the state knows that to be incorrect. Should they still issue the permit?

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    then that state is at fault for not submitting the info.
    The state has the information in their database. Every state agency/court has offenders they house in their database. Nics has access to all these databases. Louisiana under Jindal just created a new database to house information for nics. How is this the states fault?

My point is that the job NICS is supposed to do requires more manpower and hours than they can dedicate to the job. States are more familiar with what happens within their borders than the feds.

Texas a shall issue state denied the shooter a permit, but Nics proceeded the transaction. His crimes were supposed to be lifetime bans for a Federal DV conviction.

Many states set up points of contact as a go between for nics. I assume because they know of it's short comings. Nics has a problem with out dated, incorrect or unentered data.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    The state has the information in their database. Every state agency/court has offenders they house in their database. Nics has access to all these databases. Louisiana under Jindal just created a new database to house information for nics. How is this the states fault?

My point is that the job NICS is supposed to do requires more manpower and hours than they can dedicate to the job. States are more familiar with what happens within their borders than the feds.

Texas a shall issue state denied the shooter a permit, but Nics proceeded the transaction. His crimes were supposed to be lifetime bans for a Federal DV conviction.

Many states set up points of contact as a go between for nics. I assume because they know of it's short comings. Nics has a problem with out dated, incorrect or unentered data.

The Air Force dropped the ball on reporting the info about shooter.

If he was denied a permit because he didn’t answer all the questions OR answered questions wrong on the application. That IMO doesn’t make the state more aware of his history than NICS.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    No... You got me there... I can't tell you why he was denied. Maybe he submitted his DD214, but that's just speculation on my part.

Sorry I edited my post while you were posting. The official statement said they weren’t 100% sure why he was denied. But they think it was he didn’t answer all the questions OR answered questions wrong on the application.

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    Sorry I edited my post while you were posting. The official statement said they weren’t 100% sure why he was denied. But they think it was he didn’t answer all the questions OR answered questions wrong on the application.
    That is kind of what I figured either an incomplete application or they got wind of the Military discharge... Or he intentionally left out things that would lead to questions about his military service.

M77Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2017
    Columbia, LA
    SO let me get this straight.

The LSP can find something that you didn't list on the paper.
    So how did they find it.I'm assuming by looking.SO when they
    found this file,they had it up on a screen,but yet they cant
    go one step further and read down the page that you were not
    guilty.

Does the file,when brought up on a screen not show what the
    outcome was?

I'm just curious.It sounds like you guys know how it works.

New to the site...and maybe this isn't the best place for my 1st post (I was going to in the introduction part, but didn't see where the "start a new thread" was, so here we are). I have no doubt the OP did nothing wrong. So this has nothing to do with him. Just playing the devil's advocate. However, there are a lot of guy AND gals who in a domestic dispute get the charges dropped because the one who was abused got talked into dropping them. And we know how that sometimes works out. So, I suspect that the LSP look at the "type" of charge that was brought against someone. Is it fair? Maybe, maybe not. And that might not be why they look at the charges that have been dropped. Just a thought though.

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    New to the site...and maybe this isn't the best place for my 1st post (I was going to in the introduction part, but didn't see where the "start a new thread" was, so here we are). I have no doubt the OP did nothing wrong. So this has nothing to do with him. Just playing the devil's advocate. However, there are a lot of guy AND gals who in a domestic dispute get the charges dropped because the one who was abused got talked into dropping them. And we know how that sometimes works out. So, I suspect that the LSP look at the "type" of charge that was brought against someone. Is it fair? Maybe, maybe not. And that might not be why they look at the charges that have been dropped. Just a thought though.
    Thats a negative..... And kind of a positive kind of Ghost Rider. Dispositions are what they are looking for at LSP. However 3 or more arrests of certain types without a conviction can lead to a denial.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom