Rem Oil warning

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Saw this on Facebook and thought I would pass it on. I actually have some of the older stuff which works good but now I'm going to change what I use.

Being I lost a lot of my gun stuff in the flood when I restock my gun cabinet I want to make sure whatever I use is good stuff. And yes when I find time between working and repairing my house I will do more research.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1692821264071005&id=705081146178360

This post in for informational purposes only, I would suggest you do you own research and draw your own conclusions unless you are one of the "all knowing" members here!

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Use a quality lubricant rather than Rem Oil which Is Not known as a quality lubricant.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Isn’t that stuff for newbs anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    While I don't use rem oil much (got a little bottle that has lasted for years), I'm probably going to wait for some confirmation before I crucify it.

I find the lubricant snobbery a bit laughable though.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    While I don't use rem oil much (got a little bottle that has lasted for years), I'm probably going to wait for some confirmation before I crucify it.

I find the lubricant snobbery a bit laughable though.

Agreed. I’ve used Rem oil without issue for years. I’m not operating in a desert or soaking my firearms in water either...

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah... lets all just stop using it based on a Facebook post... considering I have never seen an spec of rust on my firearms and I spray them down before storing. (Yes I checked... no rust). Delete this ignorant defamatory post. Not that Rem Oil is the best option... but I don't agree with bashing it with false information.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Yeah... lets all just stop using it based on a Facebook post... considering I have never seen an spec of rust on my firearms and I spray them down before storing. (Yes I checked... no rust). Delete this ignorant defamatory post. Not that Rem Oil is the best option... but I don't agree with bashing it with false information.

BINGO I have old and new it is not my 1st go to but is easy to spray and is easy to get
    I made up some Ben's Red lube and cleaner and it is good too.
    My dad passed away and left me 2 quarts of Hoppies #9
    I bet I pass away and eave some to my kids as well.
    If the Rem Oil was trash no one would be buying it

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I love these good oil bad oil discussions. There is those who say WD 40 is the worst thing you can put on your guns, it doesn't protect them. It's funny because for the last 40 years it has been the only thing I use and my guns have no rust. WD 40 and a few drops of Mobil 1 in the action and I am good to go. It also seems to remove powder residue and carbon better than any thing else I have tried. I have cleaned a bore with Hoppes until the patch comes out clean and then run a patch with WD 40 through the bore and it comes out dirty.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I love these good oil bad oil discussions. There is those who say WD 40 is the worst thing you can put on your guns, it doesn't protect them. It's funny because for the last 40 years it has been the only thing I use and my guns have no rust. WD 40 and a few drops of Mobil 1 in the action and I am good to go. It also seems to remove powder residue and carbon better than any thing else I have tried. I have cleaned a bore with Hoppes until the patch comes out clean and then run a patch with WD 40 through the bore and it comes out dirty.

WD 40 is good to displace water but not a very good lubricant. I have seen metal get surface rust overnight when coated with WD 40. Engineers finally quit allowing WD 40 on Turbine Deck.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La

I only posted this info so people could Make their own conclusions. If you see something that might be an issue to fellow members I would hope you would post it, no need to be an ass about it Geezz! Oh so you have information proving this info is false, did your own chemical analysis????

This also was something TPS found out recently and most of us have had bottles of this sitting around for years so you may not ever have a issue until you buy more.

Last edited:

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I only posted this info so people could Make their own conclusions. If you see something that might be an issue to fellow members I would hope you would post it, no need to be an ass about it Geezz! Oh so you have information proving this info is false, did your own chemical analysis????

Ahhh you you’ll provide your chemical analysis then?

And no, I can’t say I would post ANYTHING and everything from a Facebook post that isn’t a credible source BACKED UP with chemical results or PROOF... fake news much?

Come on.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Damn guys, play nice.

I hate to say it, but I almost exclusively use CLP on my guns...and they go bang every time. I have also used Rem-Oil before with no problems. Oh, and I've had mud on a gun before and used evil to wash it out.Does this make me a bad person? haha

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    All y’all bitchin ‘bout over priced “gun oil” when a quart of synthetic motor oil can be had for less than 3 bucks. Is this still a thing? I’ve get to see what any “gun oil” has over any synthetic oil aside from the higher priced per ounce.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    All y’all bitchin ‘bout over priced *gun oil* when a quart of synthetic motor oil can be had for less than 3 bucks. Is this still a thing? I’ve get to see what any *gun oil* has over any synthetic oil aside from the higher priced per ounce.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

Come on now... you know unless a Navy SEAL or a reputable shooter (and in some instances not even reputable), or its been featured on the cover of a shooting magazine, or a YouTube gunner has recommended it, doesn't cost 10 times more than it should, or anything like that... it can't be any good! ;)

MOTOR OIL??????? OMFG!!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS???????????? lol

On a serious note... Motor oil works great. Everyone hates cleaning Cosmoline off of stored or surplus rifles... yet its still the standard... the cheapest bidder and I have yet to see a rifle swimming in it to have any rust.

Millennial Note: Don't ever talk bad about/disagree with/or disprove anything, anywhere, anytime, ever, at all!!! You may ruffle someone's panties and hurt there widdle feewings.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom