Rem Oil warning

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    All y’all bitchin ‘bout over priced *gun oil* when a quart of synthetic motor oil can be had for less than 3 bucks. Is this still a thing? I’ve get to see what any *gun oil* has over any synthetic oil aside from the higher priced per ounce.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device
    Tell me where you're buying full synthetic motor oil for under 3 bucks a quart .

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Tell me where you're buying full synthetic motor oil for under 3 bucks a quart .

If you catch something on sale it can be had tho it is not the norm. I think the Wal Mart supertech is under $4 a quart at normal price (and it’s actually pretty good oil, look on the bobistheoilguy forum for some reviews and a chem analyses). Anyway I was not trying to say it was commonly available for that little.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Come on now... you know unless a Navy SEAL or a reputable shooter (and in some instances not even reputable), or its been featured on the cover of a shooting magazine, or a YouTube gunner has recommended it, doesn't cost 10 times more than it should, or anything like that... it can't be any good! ;)

MOTOR OIL??????? OMFG!!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS???????????? lol

On a serious note... Motor oil works great. Everyone hates cleaning Cosmoline off of stored or surplus rifles... yet its still the standard... the cheapest bidder and I have yet to see a rifle swimming in it to have any rust.

Millennial Note: Don't ever talk bad about/disagree with/or disprove anything, anywhere, anytime, ever, at all!!! You may ruffle someone's panties and hurt there widdle feewings.

Real operators use castrol gtx

Side note, coming from a millennial (25 yers old) we are not all like that. Matter of fact I cannot stand to be around most people of my generation (everyone says I was born an old fart I tend to agree)

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    If you catch something on sale it can be had tho it is not the norm. I think the Wal Mart supertech is under $4 a quart at normal price (and it’s actually pretty good oil, look on the bobistheoilguy forum for some reviews and a chem analyses). Anyway I was not trying to say it was commonly available for that little.

Supertech 10w-30 synthetic is 6 bucks a qt . But I'll agree , it is a good oil from what I've read on BITOG .

A quart of oil will probably last most people a lifetime .

Last edited:

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Supertech 10w-30 synthetic is 6 bucks a qt . But I'll agree , it is a good oil from what I've read on BITOG .

A quart of oil will probably last most people a lifetime .

Is it that much now? Disclaimer, I don’t buy just one quart at a time, I’ll skim some off of a 5 quart jug during an oil change and I’m pretty sure those are $20 or less unless I’m thinking of the synthetic blend. But I’ll take your word for it as I have not gotten any in quite a while.

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    I get an oil change with Mobile 1 and filter for $ 35.00 more or less at the dealer for my van. some places want to charge you for their name.
    Wingate

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I think he is saying use what you have on hand.
    Most have oil and stuff on a shelf. You do not have oil for your car?
    I made up some Ben's Red Oil it is Royal Purple {or any Synthetic} and %5 Dextron Transmission oil
    It worked well, as a lube.
    I also made some Ben's Red Cleaner.
    1 part Dexron II, IIe or III Automatic Transmission Fluid
    1 part Mineral Spirits
    1 part Kerosene, or Lamp Oil, Or Diesel
    1 part Acetone
    I use this on blue guns that are dirty, And gets stuff that #9 does not get.
    I have to clean, a slew of guns after a flood and end up with guns in bags guys bring me. And guns i service for friends who have no idea how to clean them.

I know I am not normal. When you open my Cabinets.
    I have 24 quarts of Royal Purple for the race car. 80 Filters for the Van and car.
    And about 60 Oil Quarts for the Driver car and Van.

4 Quarts Dot 5 silicone Brake Fluid, 2 Quarts regular Brake Fluid the list goes on
    So I like to use what I have on hand

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I’ve been using WeaponShield solvent and CLP for a few years. Go to George Fennell’s YouTube channel and check out the comparison test he does.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    George is the inventor of FP-10. He sold the rights to that product to Shooters Choice when he released WeaponShield. I had been using FP-10 for many years.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Why I use froglube

Frog lube works great and smells even better! Not to mention it is non-toxic (I've seen someone put some on a cracker and eat it on a bet). HOWEVER, it does INDEED "gum up"... but I've found it's only in cooler/colder temperatures. I've never had an issue in warm/hot weather (or after the first few rounds heat up the gun).

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Do not use Froglube in conjunction with any petroleum based products. It will create a *gunk* that would stop a bulldozer in its tracks.
    And since it is plant based, it will break down much faster than other products.
    Froglube was originally a joke but since a couple Seals invented it, all the operators just had to have it.

Top Bottom