Applying for CCW with Expunged DUI

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hondasi1688

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2017
    Shreveport La
    Hello all,
    Was hoping to get some clarification on a question. In July 2012 I was arrested for DUI. It took 6 months in which I was given 894 expungment. So in Jan 2013 I was told to complete the terms and after they were completed I received full expungment. I know the conditions say wait 5 years from DUI but mine was expunged so is that taken into consideration by LSP or do they consider me guilty even though the court system essentially threw it out with the expungment? Second question would be if they do see me guilty of dui still is it 5 years from arrest or 5 years from final court date? Thank you in advance for any guidance. God Bless.

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    Hello all,
    Was hoping to get some clarification on a question. In July 2012 I was arrested for DUI. It took 6 months in which I was given 894 expungment. So in Jan 2013 I was told to complete the terms and after they were completed I received full expungment. I know the conditions say wait 5 years from DUI but mine was expunged so is that taken into consideration by LSP or do they consider me guilty even though the court system essentially threw it out with the expungment? Second question would be if they do see me guilty of dui still is it 5 years from arrest or 5 years from final court date? Thank you in advance for any guidance. God Bless.
    Was it a felony? If not it is a plea 5 years immediately preceeding the application date. Ill post a link for you in a sec..... Or you can go to Lalegis and read lars 40:1379.3.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Hondasi1688

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2017
    Shreveport La
    Not a felony. I was given an article 894 expungment, Thank you so much for the reply, any info is greatly appreciated. Would you happen to know what time table they use for 5 years? From arrest date or sentenicng date? Again thank you!

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    Hello all,
    Basically, if you pled guilty or no contest or whatever on October 29 2012... You have to wait until the 10/30/17.

The CHP unit has to strictly adhere to the guidelines codified in 40:1379.3 which is the law pertaining to the the issuance of La CHPs. So if your crime hasn't passed outside of the 5 year mark from the day you entered the plea for the charges you will be denied.

Alternatively, if you're application is post dated prior to the 5 year mark from the day you entered your plea it will be denied. 5 years and 1 day? You are good to go. One thing I have learned about legal rules is they are either black or white; there is no gray area.

http://www.legis.la.gov/Legis/Law.aspx?d=97451

Here is a link to the law. Ss (C)(7) is the section pertaining to your question.

I would encourage you to read the entire law before submitting the electronic application and going to the BR to submit your prints. Make sure you have a copy of your expungement and a copy of the dispositions from every municipality for any other arrest on your record; NOT just convictions.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Basically, if you pled guilty or no contest or whatever on October 29 2012... You have to wait until the 10/30/17.

The CHP unit has to strictly adhere to the guidelines codified in 40:1379.3 which is the law pertaining to the the issuance of La CHPs. So if your crime hasn't passed outside of the 5 year mark from the day you entered the plea for the charges you will be denied.

Alternatively, if you're application is post dated prior to the 5 year mark from the day you entered your plea it will be denied. 5 years and 1 day? You are good to go. One thing I have learned about legal rules is they are either black or white; there is no gray area.

http://www.legis.la.gov/Legis/Law.aspx?d=97451

Here is a link to the law. Ss (C)(7) is the section pertaining to your question.

I would encourage you to read the entire law before submitting the electronic application and going to the BR to submit your prints. Make sure you have a copy of your expungement and a copy of the dispositions from every municipality for any other arrest on your record; NOT just convictions.

Any other arrest? Including minor traffic violations? ie Defaced Drivers License, or Expired Drivers License?

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    Any other arrest? Including minor traffic violations? ie Defaced Drivers License, or Expired Drivers License?
    Key word is "arrest". Meaning you were handcuffed put in the back seat and chauffeured to underworld college. I think somewhere in the rule book it may also mention municipal summons, but minor traffic violations don't have to be mentioned..... Unless of course they lead to an arrest. Read the rs40:1379.3 your self to confirm.

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Key word is "arrest". Meaning you were handcuffed put in the back seat and chauffeured to underworld college. I think somewhere in the rule book it may also mention municipal summons, but minor traffic violations don't have to be mentioned..... Unless of course they lead to an arrest. Read the rs40:1379.3 your self to confirm.

Thanks.

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    No problem. Easiest thing to do is go to the court house clerk where you were arraigned and get a "dispositions/name search". You will need one anyway to submit with the application for your permit..... if you were ever "arrested".

I know I said list the arrest/s, but dispositions show the outcome of the arrest from an official state agency and it bears the official State seal (very important) .

Fyi A state police background check will not be sufficient, but if you have the court minutes from the case they are sufficient for submission along with the application.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

In general, a municipal summons is an arrest where the police allow you to sign for your release on the spot with the promise of reporting to court at a certain date and time.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    In general, a municipal summons is an arrest where the police allow you to sign for your release on the spot with the promise of reporting to court at a certain date and time.

This. You don’t have to be handcuffed and carted off to the jailhouse when arrested.

Top Bottom