Shooter has an ND on the firing line at a match

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Question, Do local matches have trauma kits?
    Someone posted about his ND while shooting a match.

I have been competing in USPSA for about 20 years. Worked hard at it and made GM in open around 2005.
    Well embarrassingly I made a big mistake at the steel challenge match Sunday and shot myself accidentially in the leg. A 9mm 135gr JHP went in my upper right thigh, exited my lower right thigh, entered my upper calf and came to rest on top of my ankle. The quick actions of my squad mates, my wife, and other competitors was incredible. We had a Doctor and two paramedics shooting and spectating that came to my assistance immediately.
    So I am 110% responsible for this accident, the gun did what I told it to,* but given a few days I think several things contributed to my accident.*
    1. I still think I can shoot at a GM level without practicing like I use too.
    2. Gun and rig was a setup I have only used 5 or 6 times.
    3. Fatigue...I worked with my hands a lot the day before and my hands were very stiff and sore.
    It is easy to fall into the "I've done this so much it's second nature". I am, as most shooters are, extremely safety conscious. But under pressure we do silly things especially when we are pushing ourselves.
    So I am extemely lucky that I did not hit bone,*ligaments or any arteries. I should heal pretty quick and make a full recovery, however I am extremely lucky.
    So I wanted to share this in the hopes that shooters will evaluate their training techniques and just as a reminder to be careful. We play a game with real guns and real bullets.* We take calculated risks everyday, like driving, but mitigating these risks and evaluating ourselves is good from time to time.
    I look forward to getting back on the range soon but I will be making a few changes as well. Also it would be wise for ranges and or match directors to have trauma kits readily available for these types of accidents.
    I have so many people to thank that helped me, including my awesome wife who was on with 911 before I hit the ground.*
    Thanks for reading and be safe out there!
    DVC-
    Paul Whitacre

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I’ve shot many local matches and can’t say if they carry trauma kits or not for sure.

BUT

My range bag ALWAYS has a trauma/IFAK kit in it and I ALWAYS have a tourniquet on my belt.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Maybe I'm being over-prepared, but I keep a military Combat Lifesaver Bag in my vehicle all the time. If I'm at the range, it's with me.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Believed that happened in south Florida. A friend posted information on the incident a few weeks back.
    To answer the question as do we have a first aid kit available, it is left up to individual clubs as to whether they have one or not. We have several met/paramedics, nurses and doctors that shoot with us & some carry *first-aid* kits. A few clubs have AEDs as well.
    With Acadian Ambalance & Air-Med, we are really in good shape around here.
    As a side note, I did see a dentist sew up a competitor’s arm that he tore open on a metal wall. There was suture kit available and he sewed up the man’s arm and after 6 stiches both continued to shoot.

Beauxdog

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I always carry a trauma kit including several tourniquets and combat gauze after taking a few classes.. I even have a TQ on my pc bag which is a mystery ranch 3 day .. btw.. I always get looks.. I don't care..
    I know with local matches, there are more than enough qualified guys as well. I am familiar with an event that was somewhat local when someone took a ricochet to the neck and help was on him like stink on **** . (last couple of years)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom