Need Computer with XP

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    The computer will not be connected to the internet or used for anything other than running a CNC milling machine

32-bit Desktop – Parallel Port Versions
    32-bit version of Windows XP
    1Ghz CPU
    512MB RAM
    Non-integrated Video Card with 32MB RAM

Is there any shop that can build a good computer to these specs?
    I've gone through ebay but it's difficult to get the non-integrated Video Card and some don't list if they are 32 bit

Thanks in advance

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Is the computer connecting to the CNC machine with the Parallel port? I think it may be hard to get the low end specs llike that today as most PCs out of the box are more powerful. I would do some research and see if it is possible to maybe do a VM on a modern machine and if the VM can utilize the parallel port. Also any specific reason for the discrete graphics card?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The computer will not be connected to the internet or used for anything other than running a CNC milling machine

1Ghz CPU
    512MB RAM

I've gone through ebay but it's difficult to get the non-integrated Video Card and some don't list if they are 32 bit

Thanks in advance

Try Newegg.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...oreType=97&name=Desktop Computers&isdeptsrh=1

That should bring up the desktops with Win XP. You may have to check each one to see it they are 32 bit but at least one is. It comes with a parallel port but with an integrated video card. Are the specs you listed the minimum specs or what the system must have? I would imagine you could add a video card to the desktop if you absolutely cannot run the software through the integrated graphics. What software/hardware are you trying to connect to the computer?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7KW2TJ0464

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Why not just buy any white box machine with the integrated video and simply disable it in the BIOS? Just add your own PCI video card after that. Just because it has an integrated card doesn't mean you have to enable and use it.

I would also recommend NewEgg... just look for GAMING motherboards... most of them don't have video cards embedded because they know you're adding one.

Build it from scratch.

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge

1Ghz CPU
    512MB RAM

Thanks in advance

I repurposed an HTPC I had built and no longer used to run my Mach3. The mobo had the paralell port connection and I just got an adapter to plug into the mobo and run out the back of the case. Running XP, using integrated graphics, a few year old i3 processor, 4GB RAM. At the time I think I built it for >$400. I would reccomend this route versus an older PC that could have, or nearing, mobo/resistor issues and no support for parts or replacements. If you are dead set on an old computer, there is a place in BR called Tim's Computers and he sells some used and refurbished PCs. When I was trying to figure out the computer part of my CNC setup I almost bought a used one from him. You might check you local Goodwill too, not sure if they have computers though. Even if what you get had integrated graphics you can always still run a discrete GPU and not use the integrated graphics. I think more RAM would be beneficial as well since some CAM programs could easily be 10s of thousands of lines of code. Lastly, I am fairly certian you can run 32 bit on a 64 bit system. I actually think mine is 64 bit running 32 bit XP SP3. Just out of curiosity, why those specific specs?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Why not just buy any white box machine with the integrated video and simply disable it in the BIOS? Just add your own PCI video card after that. Just because it has an integrated card doesn't mean you have to enable and use it.

I would also recommend NewEgg... just look for GAMING motherboards... most of them don't have video cards embedded because they know you're adding one.

Build it from scratch.

Do you think building one would be cheaper than the refurbs? And since it's no longer supported, are the XP product codes more readily available? I know they've always been available if you knew where to look. I'm referring to being publicly available.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    You can run 32-bit software on a Windows 64 bit machine. 64-bit just allows for bigger memory addressing which gets around the 4GB RAM limit imposed by the 32-bit OS.

The only problem I see with buying a new PC is that they will probably have a SATA hard drive connection and so you will have to load the drivers for it yourself during the OS install. I can check my old stash I may even have a old XP install disc that I added the drivers to the Windows XP install without needing to add the drivers manually. If you buy it from a reputable manufacturer it will probably be done for you.

Also agree with disabling the built in graphics card and adding your own. ALthough when the specs were designed for the software, embedded graphics were probably not as powerful as they are now so it maybe a moot point.

Also just looked and you can get a USB to parallel port adapter. Wonder if that would work for you.

Last edited:

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Also just looked and you can get a USB to parallel port adapter. Wonder if that would work for you.

To my knowledge there is no USB to LPT adapter that works with Mach3. You might get all the signals/pulses, but they probably won't be in the right order. You would need a USB or ethernet motion controller and I believe software, such as the UC100, to drive it if you did not want to use the typical LPT port setup.

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    SulzerFirearms

I'm not set on an old computer and might end up building a computer. It's a bit of a worry not being familiar with any of this

The specs I got from
    http://www.aquickcnc.com/wiki/Mach3

Their specs
    Minimum System Requirements
    Parallel port control only supported on 32-bit versions of Windows.

32-bit version of Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
    1Ghz CPU
    512MB RAM
    Non-integrated Video Card with 32MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    Does anyone think a new computer would run Mach3?

Supposedly, XP has nothing running in the background. I would think this a good idea when running a CNC machine.
    The CNC machine will be a Taig and only be used for engraving.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    To my knowledge there is no USB to LPT adapter that works with Mach3. You might get all the signals/pulses, but they probably won't be in the right order. You would need a USB or ethernet motion controller and I believe software, such as the UC100, to drive it if you did not want to use the typical LPT port setup.

Would getting the stuff needed to run USB be less of a headache in the long run from having to run stuff over a parallel port?

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Does anyone think a new computer would run Mach3?

Supposedly, XP has nothing running in the background. I would think this a good idea when running a CNC machine.
    The CNC machine will be a Taig and only be used for engraving.

I know a new computer will run Mach3, and mine has integrated graphics, but it also has 4GB RAM and a 2.6Ghz Intel CPU. It's 4 years old and it runs Mach3 and XP just fine. Looking back at my Newegg account it looks like I spend just under $300 on the parts and that included a BluRay drive (was initially used as an HTPC), which you would not even need for a dedicated Mach computer. As for the discrete GPU, IIRC, those specs you quoted are more of a legacy spec for older PCs from the times of Mach2 and early Mach3. It probably had to do with the RAM sharing for GPU task hindering overall available RAM for the CPU. This is another reason why I would recommend staying away from older units. Also, a faster clock speed than 1Ghz would probably be more beneficial as too low of a clock speed could cause issues with losing steps.

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Would getting the stuff needed to run USB be less of a headache in the long run from having to run stuff over a parallel port?

I was just trying to point out that an adapter would not work, to prevent the OP from having to figure it out the hard way.

I have never done the USB conversion, although I may in the future. I cannot speak for the ease of setup, I'm sure it is very doable. The advantage is that it is supposed to manage the pulsing more efficiently than LPT and there is a lower risk of step loss in the event your CPU hiccups for a micro second. I'd have to look back at the details, but IIRC, the pulsing from the CPU/LPT setup happens in real time making it vunerable to power maintenance features, why its not supported on laptops, or other times the CPU might say "hold up a second", for instance possibly if the CPU is sharing a small amount of RAM with an integrated GPU. I think the USB motion controller predetermines the pulsing and feeds it so there is less possibility of lost steps from a computing standpoint. I have not seen any of these issues so far, which is why I have yet to do the USB conversion.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom