5 year vs. Lifetime CHP?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I have to renew my CHP in the next few months and have a question.
    I get my next one free since I'm a Vet. I was thinking 5yr vs Lifetime.
    Since you can use the new 5 year in lieu of a NICS check is there any talk about changing anything so you can use a new Lifetime CHP for the NICS check?

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The problem with the lifetime is it has no expiration date. Expiring it would make it not lifetime. Don’t you love Louisiana political word games?

I haven’t heard a whisper of a change to lifetime. Probably because they want some accountability in the background check department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    The problem with the lifetime is it has no expiration date. Expiring it would make it not lifetime. Don’t you love Louisiana political word games?

I haven’t heard a whisper of a change to lifetime. Probably because they want some accountability in the background check department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just talking out of my butt. But it looks like if you had a Lifetime issued after March 9, 2015 it should be a good as a 5 yr after issued after March 9, 2015. Don't you still get the same background check for either one at renewal time? :dunno: And a FFL can go to that link LSP has to see if a CHP is valid.
    I guess I know it must be some deal that we don't know about to keep the Lifetime from being able to use it.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    How many threads do we need for this same subject?

With the LIFETIME CCW permit, you CAN NOT bypass the background check and you still need to RECERTIFY every 5 years.
    With the 5 Year, you can bypass the background check and you re-certify every 5 years when you renew.

There is NO BENEFIT to the lifetime other than "Oooo look mine doesn't expire!" and it saves you a minuscule amount of money (maybe).
    The only benefit to the 5 year is not having to do the background check. If you don't care about that... more power to you.

It comes down to what you want and the money you want to spend. Either way you're still visiting the instructor every 5 years.

Done.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I'm just talking out of my butt. But it looks like if you had a Lifetime issued after March 9, 2015 it should be a good as a 5 yr after issued after March 9, 2015. Don't you still get the same background check for either one at renewal time? :dunno: And a FFL can go to that link LSP has to see if a CHP is valid.
    I guess I know it must be some deal that we don't know about to keep the Lifetime from being able to use it.

If they would just put a expiration date on the lifetime permits it would solve the problem. Every 5 years you have to resubmit a training certification and a Renewal app that 5 year date should still be listed on the permit as the expiration date.

I did the lifetime because I feel the 5 year fee will probably go up at some point. Being it’s free for you the 5 year may be best.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

With the LIFETIME CCW permit, you CAN NOT bypass the background check and you still need to RECERTIFY every 5 years.
    With the 5 Year, you can bypass the background check and you re-certify every 5 years when you renew.

There is NO BENEFIT to the lifetime other than "Oooo look mine doesn't expire!" and it saves you a minuscule amount of money (maybe).
    The only benefit to the 5 year is not having to do the background check. If you don't care about that... more power to you.

It comes down to what you want and the money you want to spend. Either way you're still visiting the instructor every 5 years.

Done.

I know how the renewals work I will be doing my 5th renewal. Both are free this time since I'm a Vet.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

Done.

But this thread is about CHP permits.......

Sorry I had to.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I get my next one free since I'm a Vet.

Wait what??

A vet can get a CCW permit for free? Mine expires in January and I was just going to let it drop. If I can get it for free then yay for me.

Update:

I just looked on the website and it only has a discount if you are currently in the military.

"Military Discount
    If you are currently in the military and wish to use the military discount, you must include a copy of your most recent orders.

Five Year Permit: $62.50
    Lifetime Permit: $250"

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Wait what??

A vet can get a CCW permit for free? Mine expires in January and I was just going to let it drop. If I can get it for free then yay for me.

Yes the state fees are free for a CHP. You still need the training but I’m sure some instructors would offer a discount for veterans.

Read 2) d.
    http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chApplication.pdf

Last edited:

LT USN (Ret.)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2017
    Covington, LA
    Wait what??

I just looked on the website and it only has a discount if you are currently in the military.

"Military Discount
    If you are currently in the military and wish to use the military discount, you must include a copy of your most recent orders.

Five Year Permit: $62.50
    Lifetime Permit: $250"

Here is what the LSP site says about CHP for veterans:

"The passage of Act 44 of the 2016 Regular Legislative Session (Effective August 1, 2016) amended and reenacted R.S. 40:1379.3(W), relative to concealed handgun permits; to exempt honorably discharged veterans of the U.S. armed forces from all fees associated with 5-year or lifetime concealed handgun permits. This Act doesn’t affect currently active military personnel. Active duty personnel remain eligible to receive the half price discount with a copy of your most recent orders."

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html

You just have to pay for the training. What a deal!

Top Bottom