Join BayouShooter For Free
Pelican

Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast
    Wealthy women wanted

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Bolting a safe down

Can I bolt it down through tile into the slab? What kind of bolts and hardware should I use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marksman

User Info Menu

Yes you can but be sure to think about plumbing lines/etc in the slab. You will need a hammer drill, masonry bit and anchors. I use this type of anchor https://m.northerntool.com/products/...ource=Bing_PLA .
    Last edited by bigtattoo79; November 5th, 2017 at 04:01 PM.

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bigtattoo79 View Post
    Yes you can but be sure to think about plumbing lines/etc in the slab. You will need a hammer drill, masonry bit and anchors. I use this type of anchor https://m.northerntool.com/products/...ource=Bing_PLA .
    Correct, but do not forget the 2 part epoxy if you want to keep the anchors secure in the concrete.

Wealthy women wanted

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bigtattoo79 View Post
    So drill hole, apply epoxy, then put the bolts in and torque?

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sandman7925 View Post

Torque after the epoxy sets up. Read directions on epoxy container.
    Last edited by JBP55; November 5th, 2017 at 04:54 PM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

We have anchored hundreds of pieces of commercial equipment with that same style anchor and never used the epoxy. If everything is done right normally the anchor shaft will break before the wedge portion releases from the concrete. Not saying it’s not a good idea, just not a requirement. Use the biggest diameter that will fit through the base holes; 4 anchors about 4.5 inches long and someone would need a tractor and chain to get it to move.
    Why .45? Because they don't make a .46!

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor481 View Post
    We have anchored hundreds of pieces of commercial equipment with that same style anchor and never used the epoxy. If everything is done right normally the anchor shaft will break before the wedge portion releases from the concrete. Not saying it’s not a good idea, just not a requirement. Use the biggest diameter that will fit through the base holes; 4 anchors about 4.5 inches long and someone would need a tractor and chain to get it to move.
    I have done hundreds in auto assembly plants and used epoxy 100% of the time. Did not want the robots to move at all while building vehicles.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sandman7925 View Post

*My* problem with allowing the epoxy to set before tightening the nut is the fact that the wedge never gets used that way. Now if using a regular all thread stud epoxy must be used and set before tightening.

Edit to add: When possible I use a spacer and anchor to a wall stud also.
    Last edited by bigtattoo79; November 5th, 2017 at 05:41 PM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

The use of epoxy depends on the size and type of anchor used. The above anchors wont need any.
    (but please by all means turn this member's thread into a epoxy or no epoxy debate)

The only thing I would note in regards to the tile, use care when drilling and torqueing down those bolts. It is very easy to crack ceramic/porcelain tile. Good luck with the install, if you were closer I'd come do it for you.

Wealthy women wanted

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Bolting a safe down

Well I need to get a dehumidifier first. Moving the safe into a guest house I used to rent out and now turning it into a man cave. It doesnít have central air and donít want to run the window unit 24/7 so I figured a dehumidifier would work. Itís gonna be cool when Iím done though.