Bolting a safe down

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Can I bolt it down through tile into the slab? What kind of bolts and hardware should I use?
    65aeeb388c6035272f19f9eae8f863d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    So drill hole, apply epoxy, then put the bolts in and torque?

Torque after the epoxy sets up. Read directions on epoxy container.

Last edited:

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    We have anchored hundreds of pieces of commercial equipment with that same style anchor and never used the epoxy. If everything is done right normally the anchor shaft will break before the wedge portion releases from the concrete. Not saying it’s not a good idea, just not a requirement. Use the biggest diameter that will fit through the base holes; 4 anchors about 4.5 inches long and someone would need a tractor and chain to get it to move.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    We have anchored hundreds of pieces of commercial equipment with that same style anchor and never used the epoxy. If everything is done right normally the anchor shaft will break before the wedge portion releases from the concrete. Not saying it’s not a good idea, just not a requirement. Use the biggest diameter that will fit through the base holes; 4 anchors about 4.5 inches long and someone would need a tractor and chain to get it to move.

I have done hundreds in auto assembly plants and used epoxy 100% of the time. Did not want the robots to move at all while building vehicles.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    So drill hole, apply epoxy, then put the bolts in and torque?

*My* problem with allowing the epoxy to set before tightening the nut is the fact that the wedge never gets used that way. Now if using a regular all thread stud epoxy must be used and set before tightening.

Edit to add: When possible I use a spacer and anchor to a wall stud also.

Last edited:

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    The use of epoxy depends on the size and type of anchor used. The above anchors wont need any.
    (but please by all means turn this member's thread into a epoxy or no epoxy debate)

The only thing I would note in regards to the tile, use care when drilling and torqueing down those bolts. It is very easy to crack ceramic/porcelain tile. Good luck with the install, if you were closer I'd come do it for you.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Well I need to get a dehumidifier first. Moving the safe into a guest house I used to rent out and now turning it into a man cave. It doesn’t have central air and don’t want to run the window unit 24/7 so I figured a dehumidifier would work. It’s gonna be cool when I’m done though.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Well I need to get a dehumidifier first. Moving the safe into a guest house I used to rent out and now turning it into a man cave. It doesn’t have central air and don’t want to run the window unit 24/7 so I figured a dehumidifier would work. It’s gonna be cool when I’m done though.

Are you going to get an electric dehumidifier or the ones that need to be changed out?

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Are you going to get an electric dehumidifier or the ones that need to be changed out?

An electric one with a 50 pint basin but a hose can be attached so it gravity feeds into the sink or wherever you want. I’m gonna hook it up and see how it does before I move the safe into the place.

Rough Rider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2014
    Jefferson Parish
    Over the last 15 years I have installed hundreds (probably close to 1K) of vaults into all types of flooring and sub-floor material and am considered an expert in my field. You need only use wedge anchors (with ceramic over concrete) like these

https://www.itwredhead.com/products/expansion-anchors/trubolt-plus

without the use of any adhesives. Use the largest size that will comfortably pass through the mounting holes. You want a little wiggle room. Set up your bolts with the nuts and washers. Leave a few threads above the nut (not critical). I don't mark holes then move the vault and drill. I drill (with the hammer drill) from the inside of the vault. If you can do it this way you'll be more accurate. At the spot where you want to mount the vault use the butt of a screw driver or other tool (I use the butt of the drill bit) and tap around the area. You're listening for solid sounds. If it sounds hollow you're probably in an area where the flooring guy used mortar to build up a low spot or you're just on top of a mortar bed with a hollow spot. You can still mount here but the tile might break. Position your vault and make sure the door opens fully and nothing interferes with it's swing. Position the hammer drill bit into the center of the first hole and use short, pulsating trigger pulls to chip away at the tile's glaze. If you go full bore you'll pock up the glaze and possibly crack the tile. Drill a little deeper than the bolt from it's bottom to the bottom of the nut (again, not critical). Sweep away the dust (I don't use a vacuum because of the mess it creates when cleaning the filter). Tap your first bolt in about half way. It should be a snug fit but not resisting. If it resists you may have used too small of a bit. If it's too loose the wedge won't grab and the bolt will work up through the hole when you torque on it. Check your vault's position once again then drill the hole in the diagonal corner and repeat the process for the bolt insertion above. You're only inserting the bolts halfway or so to allow a little wiggle room should you move the vault while drilling. Drill your remaining two (or more) holes then insert your bolts as above. Pound all the bolts down then torque them. I normally use 1/2" bolts and use a 1/2" drive ratchet with the 3/4" socket to get a good grip and a feel for the amount of torque. If you're strong enough I guess you could shear off the bolt from too much torque. Just get the wedge to grab and pull. You'll know. Some guys use an impact wrench but I can't get a feel for the torque that way. Sorry to ramble on but I do this all the time and...you asked. I hope it helps you.

p.s. The above is for ceramic over concrete. If you're drilling into ceramic over hardibacker board and wood subflooring you'll need to drill through the ceramic and backer board with the masonry bit then use a properly sized wood bit (for a lag screw) from there. The lag screw only needs to be long enough to penetrate the plywood by a couple of threads. Any more than that and your wasting material and time and you're making the mounting position more obvious as viewed from below.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    I have done hundreds in auto assembly plants and used epoxy 100% of the time. Did not want the robots to move at all while building vehicles.

If you used wedge anchors with epoxy, and let the epoxy adhesive set before you torqued the wedge anchors down, you didn't do a very good job.

Top Bottom