Please school me on Schmidt and Benders

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    In the market for a top of the line rifle scope for PRS type matches and other recreational shooting. Based on what I have read, there seem to be more people that favor S&B over any others in glass clarity. I've shot a lot with the vortex pst scopes and I'm ready to step it up. Unless someone is somehow able to convince into another scope, I believe I have settled on the 5-25 pmII. In that model, there are a lot of different options it seems, that range in price from 2300$ to 3500$. I don't understand what is different other than the reticle. I want FFP and Illum. and Mils.

https://www.milehighshooting.com/ri...ification=25X&category=307&is_category_page=1

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    S&B have had mechanical issues of late. US Marshalls ordered 43 OBRs with Schmidt's and around 25 of the scopes had to be sent in for warranty.

Check out Vortex Razor Gen II, Vortex AMG, Nightforce ATACR, and Kahles. A lot of options between those.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Before you drop that kind of coin, it may be worth making a trip to see us at Interstate Guns in Hammond. We have plenty of S&B, Kahles, Nightforce, etc in stock for you to put hands on. And we can definitely make sure you get into the right scope for your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    Before you drop that kind of coin, it may be worth making a trip to see us at Interstate Guns in Hammond. We have plenty of S&B, Kahles, Nightforce, etc in stock for you to put hands on. And we can definitely make sure you get into the right scope for your needs.

Yeah I guess I'll come by and hopefully yall can show me the difference between the different PMIIs

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    S&B have had mechanical issues of late. US Marshalls ordered 43 OBRs with Schmidt's and around 25 of the scopes had to be sent in for warranty.

Check out Vortex Razor Gen II, Vortex AMG, Nightforce ATACR, and Kahles. A lot of options between those.

Just when I’m ready to drop the coin on a S&B you post this and make me nervous.

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    Just when I’m ready to drop the coin on a S&B you post this and make me nervous.

What I remember reading about it, was that it was scopes that were assembled in the US specifically to fill that contract, but that may not be the case, just what I remember reading.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    What I remember reading about it, was that is was scopes that were assembled in the US specifically to fill that contract, but that may not be the case, just what I remember reading.

Thanks for the info I’m gonna research it. I have a little time being I’m not sure what model I’m going with.

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    What I remember reading about it, was that it was scopes that were assembled in the US specifically to fill that contract, but that may not be the case, just what I remember reading.

Thanks for the info I’m gonna research it. I have a little time being I’m not sure what model I’m going with.

Not sure, but I was told that S&B have been having issues of late in general from a very well known rifle-builder/competitive shooter. He recommends Nightforce, Vortex AMG, and Vortex Razor II. Kahles is on his radar but he doesn't have as much experience with them.

Was also told of the S&B issues by another big shop out of state.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    FWIW, while we don’t sell nearly as many S&B as Nightforce or Kahles, but I can tell you we’ve never heard of a single issue with any we’ve sold. I’d be curious to hear some more details about what issues people are experiencing, or if it was limited to that special run.

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    just wanted to update in case someone was interested in my opinion after I had the pleasure of comparing 4 different scopes today.
    I found the glass in the atacr and the pmII to look the best to me. I don't like to see chromatic aberration which I did notice on the kahles. the eye box on those three seemed more forgiving than the razor gen II, but I did like the clicks and locking mechanism of the razor the best, but gah that thing's big! I really wanted to like the pmII the most but ultimately the skmr3, ergos and features of the kahles 624 won me over and I settled on that.

really there was a couple things from each scope that I really liked the kahles just had more though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    just wanted to update in case someone was interested in my opinion after I had the pleasure of comparing 4 different scopes today.
    I found the glass in the atacr and the pmII to look the best to me. I don't like to see chromatic aberration which I did notice on the kahles. the eye box on those three seemed more forgiving than the razor gen II, but I did like the clicks and locking mechanism of the razor the best, but gah that thing's big! I really wanted to like the pmII the most but ultimately the skmr3, ergos and features of the kahles 624 won me over and I settled on that.

really there was a couple things from each scope that I really liked the kahles just had more though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Good choice. Have one on hold at Interstate Guns and one with the AMR reticle waiting for a rifle to be finished.

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    Well as much as I hate being "that guy" that brings something back, after comparing the Kahles side by side with with my 6-24 PST yesterday evening and a 5-25 PST gen II this morning, I honestly couldn't live with the CA I was seeing.
    Thank goodness for a local store with great CS and great prices I was able to get the PMII that I somehow originally talked myself out of.
    Immediately took it home and compared side by side to my PST and got the "wow" factor I was hoping for spending that much money. No CA on objects that show it on every other scope I have.
    Sorry for flip flopping on yall, maybe something was up with that scope or maybe my perception is that much different from others that seem to love the Kahles glass, but I can sleep a lot better tonight now. HAha

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Glad it worked out man, and don’t feel bad for flopping. It’s a big investment and you should be 110% confident you made the right choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom