Lever Gun Fanatics

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Really love the Marlin 1894. I picked up a 1894 CB in 32 H&R magnum octagon barrel. What I really wanted is a 327 Fed magnum. I had the barrel reamed to 327 Fed magnum by Ranger Point Precision. Also had them add some improved sights. It will still shoot 32 and 32 H&R mag. Everything else on the gun can be taken back to out-of-the-box condition. For the record, I'm more of a shooter than a collector. Would you find the gun 'more desirable' or 'less desirable' based on the ability to chamber the 327 Fed Mag? If you answer start out by identifying yourself as either 'more of a shooter' or 'more of a collector'.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Probably more desirable. The 327 Fed Mag is what the 32 Magnum should have been. I have a Henry Big Boy Steel Carbine in 327 Fed Mag.
    I used to have a Marlin 32 magnum and it was a nice rifle, just underpowered for deer hunting and couldn't use it for small game hunting.
    I did get 100gr bullets up to 1700fps in it but the 327 will get them up to 2100fps.
    PS More of a shooter. A collector would want it in original condition.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you answer start out by identifying yourself as either 'more of a shooter' or 'more of a collector'.

Both. I've been a collector for years, but I also take my shooting sports seriously.

This is a tough question to answer. If you happen across that guy that's been looking for this specific configuration, then you'll be in luck and he'll probably jump on it (and you'll probably get a premium for the gun). But to a lot of people (including me), modifications almost always lower the value of the gun, since they inherently make resale more challenging.

So, for me, the modifications would be a wash on a good day, and they'd slightly drop the value otherwise.

By the way, this isn't a criticism of the work that was done, the functionality of the gun, or your decision to get this work done. I've got guns that I've modified to suit my needs, and I'm cool with that. My barometer for these types of things is to make sure that the enjoyment I get out of the custom work is greater than the cost, because I know that modifications will generally hurt resale. Resale isn't quite the same thing as desirability, but this is a candid answer to your question.

Mike

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Thanks guys and I'm more of a shooter. I will re-blue and refinish guns when it is appropriate and would pay a premium for a gun that has been kept up well. If I come across Winchester Model 70 Hunter and the stock has been upgraded to Maple with a Monte Carlo swell it's all me. On this gun the 327 conversion would be impossible visually identify unless you actually chambered a round. To me it's just a bit more than polishing a feed ramp. That said, I do understand that there are some folks who want to purchase revolvers that have never been turned. Myself, I've never been able to pick a revolver without turning it. I guess I'll never get a job in a gun museum.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    I'm more of a shooter with some collector, or rather accumulator tendencies. Those calibers I am not familiar with but have a couple of Marlin 1894's. One a cowboy model 24" 44 mag, the other a nifty little CL model in 32-20.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I love leverguns, IM A SHOOTER!!! not a collector I have all 1894's .44mags and 1895 45-70's so don't have much impute on the cal. you speak of lol

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    The Marlin 1894 32 H&R Mag is kind of a unicorn. I loved the concept of the 327 Mag and thought it was a perfect lever gun load. Shot the 1894 on Monday w/ 327 mag. It's light, it's quick, it's accurate, low recoil, and holds about 10 rounds. It wouldn't be my go to gun for a big bear but anything else it will handle well; 1500 FPS at the muzzle and 1300 at 50 yards. Henry just came out w/ a 327 Mag lever. Henry is much less expensive path than the one I took but I'm still happy.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    The 327 Fed Mag 100gr loads will do 2100fps+ in the rifle. The handgun will get 1500fps(actually more--1700fps in a longer barrel)
    I got my Marlin 32 Mag up to 1700fps+ in the rifle. The anemic 32 Mag Factory loads won't do that.
    I have Marlins in 308 Marlin Express, 30-30, and 444 and Henry's in 357 Mag(2) and 327 Fed Mag.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom